AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd March, 2002, 02:34 PM

Unhappy Joystick problems - can anyone help please?

I have the following set up:
Epox 8KHA+, AMD 1700+, 512 Mb DDR RAM, GeForce2, SBLive5.1, IBM Deskstar 40Gb. Its running WinXP pro. FSB is set at 133, though I've tried it at 100 just in case.

Its not clocked or anything and runs fine, except - I have a Saitek X36 flight stick with USB connection, but when I plug in the joystick, it does not show up in the list of USB devices or game controllers. The computer makes the 'bing' sound for a device being plugged in, but thats it.

What's worse is it used to work - Originally I installed XP, and there it was, working fine. Then I had to rebuild my PC, all the same hardware, software etc, and now it dont work. All subsequent installs of XP so far have been the same - no joystick.
(BTW - I installed Win98SE, and its fine under that, so the X36 is not faulty)

Its a minor thing, but I'm into me flight sims, and without the x36, those games are no fun. If anyone at all has any suggestions, please please post 'em.

Yours gratefully (and hopefully)
Ham
Old 22nd March, 2002, 02:54 PM

Welcome to the forums, Ham_Tyler. There's a wealth of information and learning here. We hope you enjoy your stay.

Look in your control panel, under "Game Controlers" or some such. See if it's listed there. You might also wanna run through the "Add New Hardware" wizard, also in your control panel. Did the joystick come with an install CD? You might want to run through the install again, just to be sure. Also visit www.saitek.com and make sure you have the latest driver for it, for your OS.

Last edited by Wa11y; 22nd March, 2002 at 02:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd March, 2002, 03:22 PM

a little more info....

Well the drivers supplied on the saitek CD are for anything that isnt Win2K or XP. They have a beta driver for XP that I have installed, to no avail.

It was working before under the standard XP drivers - I plugged it in, and it showed the X36 under game controllers in Control Panel and everything worked, so I used it.

Now it does not show up under game controllers in Control Panel. I run the add new hardware wizard and that does not find it either. I try to add a 6 button joystick under game controllers, but that doesnt work either. <whimper> I'm so disheartened - everything else works a treat, my PC screams along at high speed, but I cant use my £100 flightsick, and it pees me right off.

Just to add some confusion, I also have an AsusKT7 RAID, with a 1Gig Duron in. That used to be fine with me X36, until I reinstalled XP, and then I lost it on that system too. If I put Win98 back on, it finds it fine.......<sigh>

But it *used* to work under XP...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Old 22nd March, 2002, 04:00 PM

Nuke it! Have you tried a format? If you're just toploading XP and 98, there might be some stuck drivers or some such. You may also boot into safe mode (XP does have a safe mode, doesn't it?) and check your device manager for any "ghost drivers." That was a problem under 98 I've run into a few times. Drivers that were supposed to be removed, but didn't quite. They didn't show up in regular mode, but did show up under Safe mode.
Old 22nd March, 2002, 04:53 PM

Ta, I'll give that a go and see what shows up.

I've picked the brains of our resident Windows expert (he's been at the sharp end since before windows), and he's adamant that installing 98 and then upgrading to XP will work, as it will retain the drivers from Win98 that are not part of the WDM in XP (or something like that - he had a similar problem with a NIC that worked under 98 but disappeared under XP, so I'm gonna try that too..)

Thank y'all for your help so far, if anyone else has any suggestions, post away

Ta,
Ham
Old 22nd March, 2002, 06:43 PM

I think when you do an upgade it doesn't keep anything. When I upgraded from 98 to XP, I still had to reinstall all my drivers and programs so they had the proper registry entries. So I don't think the drivers are carried over. But you can give that a try anyway.
Old 22nd March, 2002, 06:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Saitek has a great bunch of controllers.. .BUT they have been unforgivably SLOOOOOW in coming up with 2000 Pro drivers, they also orphaned a lot of their stuff rather than create drives for them.

I had to wait 6 months for 2000 Pro drivers they repeatedly promised me by E-mail that they were developing, only to have to by a USB stick and run BETA drivers for it. If I werent left handed Ive dumped them long ago.... sigh
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd March, 2002, 10:00 PM
Banned

Ouch. I'd never use an upgrade option. Fresh installations only for me...
Old 24th March, 2002, 11:12 PM

I've tried the upgrade from Win98SE to XP - without success on either machine I own.

Pinky - you are right - no drivers are carried over, but hey - we're in the land of last resort here and I had to try, just to assure myself that I *had* tried it. sigh

I've deleted the partition, reformatted with NTFS or FAT32 (whatever it wasn't already, if you see what I mean), and done a fresh install. Still no good.

Sod it. I'm back to theory again. Feeling like a very poor computer engineer here. I know all my hardware is good - its definitely an XP problem, but one I didnt have the first time I installed XP. I know the device is drawing 26mA of current, and the PC knows this, but XP remains ignorant of the devices thats drawing the current. I think Im gonna reluctantly give up and install 98SE for know - at least that works with everything.

Thanks for your help again - if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears...
Old 29th March, 2002, 02:01 PM

Talking HA HA!!!!

If you are having trouble with your Saitek X36 or X45 under XP, go here:

http://saitekhelp.simhq.com/Dhauz_Start.htm

A lovely bloke called Dhauzimmer has writeen his own drivers, which work a treat. I thought the saitekhelp site had shut down, but evidently its back up.

Thanks again for all your help - I'm going to lock myself away and play all my flight sims for hours

cheers,

Ham
Old 29th March, 2002, 08:02 PM
AOA Staff

SWEET!! I have been seeing more and more people writing XP drivers for orphaned hardware, now if some o0ne would just write some for my pinnacle DC-10 vid cap card, I coulsd run 2k too