AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th January, 2007, 05:34 PM

Problems With Evga 7950gt

I recently got a evga 7950 gt ko edition and installed, when I put the drivers in the screen image instantly corrupted, it looked like a jigsaw of equal sized and repeated pieces all over the screen. I had to do a windows repair to fix the problem. All appeared fine and I have been playing BF2142 and other games with no problems. Today I reinstalled BF2 and low and behold when I started the game the exact same graphic corruption appeared, when I come out of the game its gone. I have installed games before this one and have had no trouble, any Ideas??? im stumped.
With the initial problem I called overclockers and they said it sounded like a ram problem on the card, but when i repaired windows the problem was gone.
Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 16th January, 2007, 06:16 PM
AOA Staff

Is this happening in BF2 only? Tested with other games?

Also, which card did you upgrade from?
Old 18th January, 2007, 01:28 AM

Have got it sorted.
I put the card on a splitter cable instead of the pcie one it was on, so now it has two molex cables attached and its fine.
It was happening on all games, and I had upgraded from a 6800.
A bit strange that the pcie cable didnt seem to be supplying enough power though???
Old 18th January, 2007, 02:52 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrugal0
Have got it sorted.
I put the card on a splitter cable instead of the pcie one it was on, so now it has two molex cables attached and its fine.
It was happening on all games, and I had upgraded from a 6800.
A bit strange that the pcie cable didnt seem to be supplying enough power though???
2x molex connectors can supply more power than 1.

Also, what power supply are you using?

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64

Last edited by Rondog; 18th January, 2007 at 02:52 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2007, 07:11 PM

I'm using a "Hyper Type R" modular 580watt. I thought the PCIe connector on it would have supplied enough for one card though!

Last edited by godrugal0; 18th January, 2007 at 07:13 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2007, 10:42 PM

Sorry to double post but my son has just informed me that the gfx corruption appeared again. Now I really am stumped

The problem it would seem is very intermittent but there none the less. I would have thought heat could be a problem but it happens when the games are first turned on, and the cards idle temps are fine so there is no time for the card to heat up.
Old 19th January, 2007, 11:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

When I plugged my 7950GT in and installed drivers, it told me my power supply was insufficient. So I now have on order an Antec TX1050B case which includes a modular Antec 500W PSU.

Sorry I cant really help with the problem though.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 19th January, 2007, 11:40 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
I'm using a "Hyper Type R" modular 580watt. I thought the PCIe connector on it would have supplied enough for one card though!
The card needs 28 amps on the 12v rails.

Your PSU has 38A accross 2 rails (20A + 18A). So, assuming the PSU is not faulty it should be fine for that card.

You do have the secondary 21v lead connected?

Last edited by danrok; 19th January, 2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 19th January, 2007, 01:02 PM

Two 12v leads connected though one of them is split with the optical drive, will this affect it?
Old 19th January, 2007, 01:30 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Two 12v leads connected though one of them is split with the optical drive, will this affect it?
Should be fine.
Old 19th January, 2007, 06:31 PM

I will run it for a few days an see if the problem re occurs, I have a life time warranty with EVGA so I should be ok. Thanks guys
Old 20th January, 2007, 03:10 PM

Installed Xtreme G 97.92 drivers, c what happens.
Old 21st January, 2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
The card needs 28 amps on the 12v rails.

Your PSU has 38A accross 2 rails (20A + 18A). So, assuming the PSU is not faulty it should be fine for that card.

You do have the secondary 21v lead connected?
This really made me think - 28 amps (340 watts in round figures)

Add some typical wattages for other components:
(http://www.journeysystems.com/power_...ator_popup.php)
Processor - 90
Motherboard - 25
2 x Hard disk - 50
2 x DDR Ram - 30
Audigy - 18
3 x Passive USB devices - 15
3 x Fans - 9
Optical drive - 30
Keyboard/Mouse - 3
Floppy drive - 5

Its not hard to see how this could stretch the PSU as well as warming up the room !
Old 21st January, 2007, 07:13 PM
AOA Staff

Of course, 28A isn't what the card needs or draws. It is the potential needed for all components which make use of the 12v.

I'm sure they exagerate it to be on the safe side.
Old 21st January, 2007, 10:56 PM

I discovered that a pci device was not installed correctly on my mobo so I reinstalled the chip set drivers and it sorted it, I wonder if that could have been affecting it?
As for what im running

1x sata hdd
1x dvd RW drive
1x sound blaster audigy card
1x eVGA 7950gt
1x usb keyboard (saitek eclipse 2)
1x usb mouse (razor diamondback)
1x 120mm front fan
1x 80mm side fan
2x 80mm rear fans
P4 3.2 ghz with stock cooler
2x crucial 1024mb ram sticks (ddr)
1x multi card reader

Surly this is not enough to stretch my Hyper type R 580 watt psu, or is it?

Last edited by godrugal0; 21st January, 2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 21st January, 2007, 11:47 PM

I'm not sure about the GFX card but the rest of what you're using from the 12v rail is still (my guess):
Processor - 90 (the Prescots dualcores can be 120)
Motherboard - 25
Hard disk - 25
2 x DDR Ram - 30
Audigy - 18
3 x Passive USB devices - 15
3 x Fans - 9
Optical drive - 30
Keyboard/Mouse - 3
Floppy drive - 5

Around 240W - doesn't that look a litle like the max for your PSU if you take the max for the GPU that Danrock quoted ?

I've had driver issues in the past with marginal PSU issues - it seemed to affect the sound card first back in the 486 days !
Old 22nd January, 2007, 01:02 AM

Do you really think that the card needs 340watts?? Seems like quite a lot for a single card. The problem also only occurs during 3D rendering it is fine at all other times.

I got this from the evga site.

Requirements
Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 20 Amp Amps.)
Minimum 500 Watt for SLI mode system.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 28 Amp Amps.)
An available 6 pin PCI-E power connector (hard drive power dongle to PCI-E 6 pin adapter included with card)

It says 20amps and 400watt in single card?
Old 22nd January, 2007, 08:59 PM

I was only going from Danrocks statement but I guess you've already proved that it won't work of one rail (18-20 amps).

Can you disconnect some kit like the card reader and DVD and then run a rendering test ? - if reducing the load gets you through it then you have the answer - if not then the card is prime suspect.

Last edited by JimF; 22nd January, 2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 23rd January, 2007, 04:10 PM

Since reinstalling the chip set drivers for the mobo my problem has disappeared? Is that strange or do you think there could have been a problem or conflict due to the pci drivers not working correctly.
Again thanks for all your help guys, I will continue to monitor and get back to you if there are any changes in the next couple of days.
Old 23rd January, 2007, 09:43 PM

Well the problem has resurfaced with battlefield 2142, but here is the strange thing, I can play world of warcraft with no problems at all.
Why would one game work and the other not, is it possible im using drivers that are not supported by 2142 or is there a problem in the vertex shaders or something similar that might be used by one game but not the other?????