AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st November, 2001, 05:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SJAXKINGPIN

While there's little doubt that a 64mb SDRAM MX400 would yield a higher 3dMark2001 score, I highly doubt the difference in actual framerates would justify this upgrade. Your Radeon has DDR memory for a reason. Mem. bandwidth is the greatest bottleneck in current ViD. Cards. I wouldn't recommend going to any SDR solution unless you've seen it in action and feel that it's worth the cost of an upgrade. I would instead, continue using your Radeon, and save up for (or wait for prices to drop on) something newer w/ DDR support.
2-WD 100GB 7200rpm Drives
Geforce 2 GTS 32mb Waiting for my Ti4400
SB Audigy

Dual PIII 933mhz Server
1/2 GB PC133
2-9.1gb 7200RPM Ultrastars
1-WD 1200Jb 120gb 8mb 7200RPM
40gb 7200 RPM Maxtor
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st November, 2001, 05:59 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to CNUCompGuy Send a message via AIM to CNUCompGuy Send a message via Yahoo to CNUCompGuy

Hey, Superman. Thanks for the link to those beta drivers. I just installed them and then ran 3D Mark 2001 and got a score of 2326 before any tweaks what-so-ever. That's an increase of over 100 points. That's awesome. I'm about to play Tribes 2 and see if I notice a huge difference. The major difference in 3D Mark that I noticed was that the FPS were actually fairly consistent, whereas before, they would jump all overthe boards. Thanks alot!!
Old 1st November, 2001, 08:11 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by CNUCompGuy
Hey, Superman. Thanks for the link to those beta drivers. I just installed them and then ran 3D Mark 2001 and got a score of 2326 before any tweaks what-so-ever. That's an increase of over 100 points. That's awesome. I'm about to play Tribes 2 and see if I notice a huge difference. The major difference in 3D Mark that I noticed was that the FPS were actually fairly consistent, whereas before, they would jump all overthe boards. Thanks alot!!
No problem. Before I started screwing with beta drivers the frames would jerk or stop for like 3/10 of a second but often time driver upgrades can help. Glad I could help you there.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!