AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th March, 2007, 10:13 PM

Unhappy nforce drivers

I recently bought a new PC tower to replace my crappy Emachines one . IT is the first decent one I have had and I love it, but for 1 small problem....

It has a built-in 256MB NVIDIA Geforce 6100 (nForce 430/410) chipset and on some of my PC games the PC is constantly freezing up and restarting. I have been told by a mate who is sort-of PC savvy that the drivers need updating but I am not sure which ones I need - I don't know what the latest ones come under. They are installed on a FoxConn motherboard.

Will modded drivers work and do they have to be specifically for the 6100? And if I to install them and they don't work is it going to mess up my new toy????
Old 5th March, 2007, 10:32 PM

This one should work just fine http://www.nvidia.com/content/licens...glish_whql.exe
You can try our drivers section on "FILES"

Remember to uninstall the actual display driver(only) before installing the new ones. Good luck and enjoy.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th March, 2007, 11:25 PM

I must be doing something wrong....

I have gone into Control Panel and clicked on NVidia drivers. I have selected "Only uninstall display driver". Restarted the PC, then cancelled out of the New Hardware Found Wizard. I ran the new Forceware setup and after that I restarted again. When the PC rebooted I point the Found Hardware Wizard towards the folder where the new drivers are and it all seems to go OK. But when I go into the driver details for the display it is still the old one (driver version 6.14.10.9371

Or does the 9731 refer to the new forceware...
Old 6th March, 2007, 04:00 AM

Yes, it does.

When you said "Control Panel". do you mean add/remove...?
Chk drivers details on[[I]control panel--.system[I]-- hardware],"Device Manager",Display adapters then properties.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Strongwolf; 6th March, 2007 at 04:06 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th March, 2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick16934
I must be doing something wrong....
Or does the 9731 refer to the new forceware...
97.31 is the most recent official release - but please bear in mind the 6100 embedded graphics solution is limited - it usually borrows system memory and doesn't compete with the 6600 range which runs the first person shooters fairly well (Unreal, Doom3, Quake4, FEAR etc) - or for that matter even the older 5600 and 4200 cards. Wind down the resolution and detail settings - lousey graphics but games should be playable and the freezes should stop but if you're into first person shooters the answer is a PCI-E card - 6600 min but 7600, 7900 or even 8800 for DX10 would be worth the expense - just check you have a PCI-E slot and a suitably rated PSU !
Old 7th April, 2007, 10:46 AM

Bought a GeForce 7600GT card last weekend, and the performance improvement is amazing compared to the onboard graphics!! Did look at a 8800 but £449!!!?? Bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and even that plays very well (would not work at all before I installed the new card - said I had only 64MB).

Vista updated the drivers to 100.65 and all is running smoothly. And my WEI score went from 2 to 4.2 - even better.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my initial question.
Old 7th April, 2007, 01:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

That would be the best solution...

Enjoy your new card.
Old 7th April, 2007, 06:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

So, how do you like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic