AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th April, 2007, 08:46 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Question X-Fi Xtreme-Audio or Audigy SE

Hey guys. It may be the time for me to change my SB Live 5.1 ! I want to ask you guys which card should I buy lowest X-Fi or Audigy SE? I have no 5.1 system I only have two good speakers and a good amplifier. I play games on this rig and I also listen to music/watch movies. The price for X-Fi is a little more then double as the price of Audigy. Thanks a lot !

Chris
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 30th April, 2007 at 08:48 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th April, 2007, 08:58 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Go for the x-fi or the audigy 2 zs the audigy se isnt half as good as either.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th April, 2007, 09:57 AM
Benchmarker

Question

I can also get Audigy4. Which one is better A4 or X-fi? I look forward to play games like BF2 CSS and others without having problems with the soundcard, this is the most important thing!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 30th April, 2007, 10:10 AM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard
I can also get Audigy4. Which one is better A4 or X-fi? I look forward to play games like BF2 CSS and others without having problems with the soundcard, this is the most important thing!
Don't get the X-Fi then. Seriously, there's a thread in here somewhere of me trying to sort out the problems it caused. Even i couldn't figure it out!

If you can get a card with a Realtek chip on (ALC850 for example), then go for that. They are awesome chips. The one on my mobo is almost as good as the X-Fi.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 30th April, 2007, 11:07 AM

The only good Realtek chips IMHO are the HD ones which the 850 is not. And thats only because they are HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 30th April, 2007, 11:21 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

The x-fi is still the better card, the Realtek is pretty poor in comparison to any seperate card.

AOA Team fah
Old 30th April, 2007, 11:41 AM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
The x-fi is still the better card, the Realtek is pretty poor in comparison to any seperate card.
That's if you can actually get it to work. I'm certainly not the only person who's had problems. I'm a patient person when it comes to new hardware but the X-Fi just tested it one step too far. By all means, go for it. You might not have any problems with it, which is great, but if it does go bad, then it usually goes completely bad.

I like my Realtek, it may not be HD, but it does a helluva good job. When i tried BF2 with my X-Fi, well, lemme say i couldn't tell much of a difference. Yeah, the positioning was better, but nothing to shout about.

But yeah, if you had to choose between the 2 or 3 you posted above, then i'd go for the X-Fi.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 30th April, 2007, 12:23 PM
Benchmarker

Well after searching creative website/forums seams that X-Fi Audio is not powered by the X-Fi chip I'll buy me an Audigy4 I think.

PS Even the older Live5.1 K10EMU wipes the floor with Realtek chips...IMO

Old 30th April, 2007, 12:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Chris...Once you get your new card, you should pick up some 5.1 headphones. Zalman (MM gear) has some nice ones. A few of us here has these. Nice for movies and gaming. And it keeps the peace with the Mrs.
Old 30th April, 2007, 02:44 PM
Steve Jobs

I went from Audigy to Audigy 2 ZS to X-Fi to EMU 0404. The EMU was the cheapest sound card of the bunch, and sounds better than any of them. Some people argue that it doesn't have EAX, which spoils games... I argue that EAX is what spoils games, and if your sound system isn't rubbish, you're far better off without it.

The EMU I might add, doesn't buzz, hiss, crackle, overheat, or need an EMI shield made out of kitchen products to function.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 30th April, 2007, 05:02 PM

You being bribed to plug that card or summat lol

AOA Team fah
Old 1st May, 2007, 12:03 AM
Steve Jobs

I'm just overly pleased with it is all. I've been looking for a brilliant sound card for ages, and the X-Fi was just comically worthless, while there had to be better options than the A/A2.

I tried out one of the high end EMU cards with a pair of STAX SR-007s plugged into them, and found it absolutely brilliant. I was then shocked to find that the cheap EMU, the 0404, sounds equally as good as the top end one, but just doesn't have the musician's features that nobody uses.

This thing is a seriously cheap piece of kit, that is just far superior to everything else from Creative (EMU is actually a creative owned brand, but EMU is their professional line while Sound Blaster is their children's line)

I'm just still stoked that I found something that good, that cheaply, which is why I've been singing its praises for so long.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 1st May, 2007, 09:56 AM

Do you find the lack of EAX a problem? its becoming fairly standard on games now and I run a fairly good sound system connected to the card (cambridge audio a5 and mission 701's), I tend to play mainly BF2142 where the EAX and other effects are quite heavily used.

AOA Team fah
Old 1st May, 2007, 10:29 AM
Steve Jobs

Ok, here's a common misconception about EAX. People believe that EAX is a 3D positional audio engine, they believe that EAX is required for surround sound.

It isn't. EAX is a set of extensions to the standard 3D audio libraries, that allows the implementation of distortion depending on where you are. It stands for environmental audio extensions, because thats all it is.

It badly distorts and ruins otherwise perfectly good sound effects for no reason other than that you're walking around.

It isn't realistic. It isn't even remotely close to realistic. It takes a real world environmental audio effect, makes it 10 times as exaggerated, and is then applied in a stupid manner for no reason other than to convince people that their sound card works.

It is, distortion. Pure and simple. It takes what the game /should/ sound like, and makes it sound worse.

If you want real environmental audio effects, beat your speaker with a mallet until the cone's barely hanging on and then play your games. Magic! it REALLY sounds like you're sitting in a room... with crap speakers!

Same principle.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Last edited by dsio; 1st May, 2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 1st May, 2007, 10:37 AM
Benchmarker

Cool

Dsio I know what you're talking about. It's like talking about LOUDNESS button on an amplifier. But the point of EAX inside a game is to boost those sounds that otherwise would be imperceptible. Without EAX in BF2 you will not hear the enemy crawling near you in the grass. Nor will you be able to locate an adversary fast enough. In games, incl Crysis we find Holywood effects. They are not realistic but they are what it makes the game great ! So...I ordered Audigy4 and I keep my baby Live until it gets here. If there is no improvement over Live then A4 will be gone. Thanks for the comments

Old 6th May, 2007, 11:21 PM

ive had a zs2 platinum and my x-fi, i use my xfi now bc vista, for some reason the zs2 didnt work with the sub on my home theater... i have the creative cables connected to my receiver to play through my kef's but for some reason the sub gets no signal with the vista zs2 drivers
-Intel E6400 2.13 @ 3.044ghz 380fsb w/ zalman cnps9500-led L626A472
-EVGA 8800gtx
-2 WD caviar se16 250gb raid 0
-OCZ GameXStream 700
-Creative x-fi xtrememusic
-Samsung 226bw "S"
-all on Vista Ultimate...

my 2006 m roadster is still faster though
Old 7th May, 2007, 01:27 PM

Personally I'm waiting for the dust to settle on Vista compatibility - the Creative cards brought sound to the PC, its frustrating that Vista seems to have broken this - by design !!

z3speed4me - is everything working on the X-Fi - all the apps etc ? the posts I've seen on Creatives discussion boards seem to say not.
Old 7th May, 2007, 03:12 PM
Benchmarker

Creative has made Vista drivers now for most of their cards!

Old 7th May, 2007, 03:15 PM

i still have app problems with the x-fi, i am really getting upset at this point with creative

the two cards were stellar on xp, now they are both BLEH, i just want my damn velodyne sub to bump out some bass when im playing some battlefield, but noooooo since the apps dont work i cant enable bass management and have the sub work!!!!
-Intel E6400 2.13 @ 3.044ghz 380fsb w/ zalman cnps9500-led L626A472
-EVGA 8800gtx
-2 WD caviar se16 250gb raid 0
-OCZ GameXStream 700
-Creative x-fi xtrememusic
-Samsung 226bw "S"
-all on Vista Ultimate...

my 2006 m roadster is still faster though