AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th May, 2007, 06:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

How are you hooked up?

I'm an isolationist! Every thing I have is separate. Home theater in one room with my main sound system, computers in another. Phone is, well just a phone.

How uncommon have I become? Tell us how your setup and why?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th May, 2007, 06:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

well, my tv is hooked up to a dvd player, NES, SNES, VCR, Gamecube, N64, and my computer's monitor/TV out thing all controlled by a push button control box. then the main computer's connected to two sets of speakers, 2 monitors plus the tv (tripple monitors ) and then my standalone laptop that i use for out going calls and gaming and everything.

is that what you meant?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th May, 2007, 06:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Pretty much. I'm trying to see how often and how well our membership integrates or tries to integrate all their toys. How much it saves or costs and how much convenience is lost or gained. Basically I want to know of your experience in tying things together.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 14th May, 2007, 06:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I have my theater system in the main room. My computer is now close enough to hook up for some big screen gaming. I can hook up either HDMI or component to the TV from my computer. Every computer is networked. 7 in all. Kids have their own tv, dvd, vcr computer and video games in their own rooms.
Old 14th May, 2007, 07:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Geez, I must be in the stone age. LOL

Computer is separate from main AV system (TV, Stereo, DVD). I've thought about an HTPC setup a couple of times but haven't gotten there yet.
Old 14th May, 2007, 07:56 PM
Member/Contributer

I pretty much live in my room and my pc is my hub for entertainment. The house phones are cordless dect with intercoms so now my family need never meet face to face

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 14th May, 2007, 09:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I did forget to add that we just got the cable internet phone. So now our Internet and phone modem are in one box.
Old 14th May, 2007, 09:47 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I have my main computer, my two experimental ones and two monitors, as well as my amp, cd player, radio seperates and speakers, and printer in one room

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 15th May, 2007, 04:29 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow
... Every computer is networked. 7 in all. Kids have their own tv, dvd, vcr computer and video games in their own rooms.
Geez... I thought I was bad.

I have a 15mbit cablemodem hookup to network, gigabit & wireless, 4 tower PCs, 2 laptops, IP phone connected to set of 4 wireless phones (distributed around house). Home theater (not HD yet), with DVD and gamecube. Each PC is its own home theater really, playing DVD with surround sound. Also, a TV tuner in one PC, and an HD TV tuner in another. That pretty much sums up all of my toys.... I mean my family's.

EDIT: my youngest (see avatar), is now complaining that she doesn't have her own PC.... my wife gave me the look of death as I started trying to figure out where else in the house I could strategically place another PC.... kentsfield anyone???

Last edited by SteveI; 15th May, 2007 at 04:31 AM.
Old 15th May, 2007, 05:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

My list of 'stuff' is growing at kind of an alarming pace recently, but here goes:

Computer is a basic setup; tower, monitor, 2.1 speakers all complete with a mess of cables running around them.

New 27" LCD HDTV hooked up to an HD-DVD player, Xbox 360, Wii and Apple TV. So far no home theater system for the TV, but that should be next after I finish reeling from the purchase of the HD-DVD player. Also note that while the 360 gets used plenty, the Wii mostly just sits there and looks pretty.
Old 15th May, 2007, 11:10 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Hmm, I have one PC that's dedicated for HTPC purposes, however I'm still working on lowering it's power consumption (and the VGA to SCART cable). It's on the network and has dual DVB-T tuners.

Phone is seperate, as I'd not had so much joy migrating to a full IP telephony system handling both POTS and VoIP.
Old 15th May, 2007, 11:58 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

I dont exactly have much space at present so everything is in one place and most things have a multi function to it. I have a piccy around somewhere on here which shows just how crampt everything is.

I have my hdtv which i connect as my 2nd monitor on my pc via dvi-hdmi, it also has the ps3 connected via hdmi and xbox 360 by vga, it also has a freeview (dvb-t) set top box connected via scart.

All of the above connect to my hifi cinema surround amp :-)
The pc via coax digital, ps3 and x360 via optical and stb via stereo phono leads (i ran out of digital inputs!)

My pc sits behind my tv with its radiators sat in the opening of my vertical opening window, my pc monitor is sat next to it, above the tv on a shelf / cubby hole thing i have the hifi amp, stb and x360 (incl hd-dvd drive) on the shelf above that i've got the ps3, tv aerial and the front speakers

Phone wise, i've only got my nokia n80 mobile, its on a good contract which gives me loads of mins and texts for not alot a month so i dont mind using it alot, its also much easier to get hold of me that way than my 'uni provided land line' which has a national rate number!
Old 15th May, 2007, 12:19 PM

Wireless broadband around the house. My PC is connected trough a regular UTP cable. I'm on a gigabit network with my brother. My stereo system, 12 years old, is connected to my PC. Seperate TV with digital TV decoder is in the living room.
I'm still using a Siemens M50 cell phone, which I got for free from my girl back then, 4 years ago
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21