AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd May, 2007, 11:04 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Thumbs up Ready Boost

I added a 2GB Adata USB RB stick in the arse of my rig. OS asked me if I want to use it for caching or just regular use, then after I choose Ready boost it asked me how many MB should be used for this job. Many times I have several progs open and sometimes I run something in background while gaming. Things are better now. Transition between programs or minimizing a game and then geting back into it is faster than before ! So a well done job Matt Ayers!

What are the requirements for ReadyBoost? To make use of ReadyBoost you’ll need:

"Windows Vista
PC with a free USB 2.0 port
A USB flash device which is:
- Between 250MB and 4GB in size
- The device must be capable of 2.5MB/sec throughput for 4K random reads and 1.75MB/sec for random writes "
Attached Thumbnails
Ready Boost-adata.jpg  
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 22nd May, 2007 at 11:10 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd May, 2007, 11:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Yeah heard about this today, looks cool as.

Verbatim have got USB keys which run U3 and ReadyBoost simultaneously. Which is cool.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd May, 2007, 11:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

so... is it just a stick of ram, but in a fancy External USB thing? i don't suppose there's an XP version eh?

Old 22nd May, 2007, 11:54 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

If you have a second HDD you can set the "page file" to be on the that second drive it'll speed things up a bit !
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 22nd May, 2007, 01:40 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

ReadyBoost would appear, from what others have found, to have the biggest impact when your computer doesn't have enough RAM. Throwing another GB of RAM in the system seems to have a bigger impact than a very large ReadyBoost cache.

After all, if there's the RAM to keep it all in, there's no reason to hit a secondary cache.