AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th May, 2007, 10:54 AM
AOA Staff

Whoops, ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT lacks UVD

Regardless of what you may have heard, ATI's newest Radeon does not have hardware or software HD acceleration

From the front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/2552/1/

Comments?
Old 28th May, 2007, 08:15 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I hate this kind of bs, shame on you AMD! Hate to lose confidence in AMD, they need customer's confidence at this point in time.
Old 28th May, 2007, 09:05 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

I believe the R600 RISC has the ability without the need for additional silicon on the board. It's just not been enabled via the drivers yet.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2007, 12:13 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

...Or there will be tears! Hard to believe they'd screw their customers and themselves this badly....don't they know there this company named Nvidia ...?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2007, 01:43 AM

i wanna sell this card.... it is causing me nothing but problems...
-Intel E6400 2.13 @ 3.044ghz 380fsb w/ zalman cnps9500-led L626A472
-EVGA 8800gtx
-2 WD caviar se16 250gb raid 0
-OCZ GameXStream 700
-Creative x-fi xtrememusic
-Samsung 226bw "S"
-all on Vista Ultimate...

my 2006 m roadster is still faster though
Old 7th June, 2007, 01:42 PM
Steve Jobs

Just had a nice little afternoon unpacking and setting up a Palit X2900XT with a mate, his first new GPU since the 9800Pro. He picked the thing out mainly for 2D graphic design work, but also because he was very impressed by the feature set and the value.

Took us a little while to get it going largely due to some slight stupidity... err that being I forgot that the other end of the DVI cable has to go into the monitor for it to work.

Anyway, we got it all set up, and decided that since it was a new card, it was a good excuse to do the Fedora 7 upgrade. He rsynced all of his data up, nuked the disk, and ran the Fedora 7 installer. All very nice and all until the ATI/AMD drivers were loaded up.

AMD/ATI swore black and blue that they had it all fixed... that they were doing their best, that the bad old days of 9 months waiting for piss poor support to finally arrive were over.

Well, firstly, it didn't work. As in flat out didn't work: X just crashes. The old drivers aint compatible with the R600, and the new drivers arn't compatible with the current version of X. After an email to them, AMD's response was that there "May be a driver fixing this issue sometime, most likely June or July, but definitely not longer than August". As a result, he's now using a rebuilt Fedora 6 on the leftover parts of his old machine until they get their act together.

Seriously, AMD is good at this. There was every reason to believe their claims that they would fix the international joke that was ATI's Linux drivers, but it just isn't happening.

AMD... you have to pull ATI into line.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 7th June, 2007, 02:18 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

It's a sad day on ATI's side. Nvidia is now da Leader ! 4 Nvidia
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 7th June, 2007, 03:09 PM

From what I'm hearing, the Cat 7.5 drivers have solved some issues.
Old 7th June, 2007, 03:58 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Maybe when they get around to releasing the Linux drivers? There's supposed to be a fix in 8.37. You can run Fedora 7, but you need to downgrade X to use the old Fedora Core 6 X server. There's some steps here.

Personally, I've stayed with nVidia cards under Linux, as they've supported Linux very well so far.
Old 8th June, 2007, 04:13 AM

im selling this card asap on ebay.... i dont want it, im buying and 8800gts 640 from evga and stepping up in like 2 months when i get some extra cash, and hopefully a new card like the 8900 comes out...
-Intel E6400 2.13 @ 3.044ghz 380fsb w/ zalman cnps9500-led L626A472
-EVGA 8800gtx
-2 WD caviar se16 250gb raid 0
-OCZ GameXStream 700
-Creative x-fi xtrememusic
-Samsung 226bw "S"
-all on Vista Ultimate...

my 2006 m roadster is still faster though
Old 8th June, 2007, 04:40 AM

Well, one thing's for sure: the 2900 will be THE hella GPU folder. It's got shader power - we know that. And I'm sure it can game pretty well. It just wants way power and water cooling.

I myself have no need for HD acceleration on a PC, so I wouldn't toss the card overboard just yet.

Last edited by aztec61; 8th June, 2007 at 04:42 AM.