AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st March, 2002, 07:55 AM

Video Driver problems with Radeon 8500

Running 1.4 T-bird, everything stock, windows XP fresh clean install, and a brand new ATI Radeon 8500. I'm trying to play Jedi Knight II Outcast, and it keeps locking up and dropping me out. When I reboot, I get an error message from XP telling me it's a driver issue with my Radeon 8500. The driver I have currently installed is from the file "wxpradeon613106015.exe," which says it's version "6.13.10.6015." These are some older drivers ATI had, but I first installed the drivers from the file "WXP-RADEON-6-13-10-6037-EFG.exe." I would assume these are the 6037 drivers. But I didn't take a look before rolling back.

I also get a lock up running 3DMark2K1, on the truck test (first test) in the high detail mode, less than 10 seconds into it. What could be causing this? I've tried two drivers (I'm about to reinstall the newer drivers and try again), and get the same problem. Just locks up hard.

And yes, I've downloaded all the updates from Microsoft.
Attached Thumbnails
Video Driver problems with Radeon 8500-error.jpg  
Old 31st March, 2002, 05:27 PM

As an update, I went to www.guru3d.com, and downloaded the 6043 beta, and 6052 drivers. Still got lockups with both, running 3dMark2K1. With the 6052 drivers, I was able to get father before locking up (I got into game 4: Nature, which I've never seen before with my Nvidia cards), and then it locked up. After it locks up, it automatically reboots. And it's not a temp problem. I have a digital doc with direct die monitoring, and my video card stays under 40*C.

One other thing, running test one, with the truck, the missiles that you fire tend to flicker in and out, and sometimes there are little....imperfections. I hesitate to call them artifacts, because I don't think they are. Just little blips or glitches.

Is this a bad video card, and should I try to return it for another?
Old 1st April, 2002, 02:44 AM

Seems I may have an answer here. May be a problem between my mobo (Epox 8KHA+) and my video card (Radeon 8500). I was able to get it to run all the 3DMark 2K1 benchmarks by underclocking it to 250/275. Yeah, it hurts, but at least it's a quick fix until we find out more.
Old 1st April, 2002, 02:52 AM
Banned

Sorry I didn't see this to help, but glad you found your solution.
Old 1st April, 2002, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
Sorry I didn't see this to help, but glad you found your solution.
If you have another answer, I'd love to hear it. Granted, 25MHz isn't that big a deal, but I'd like to run my card at least at full spec. I hope that underclocking my card will only be a temporary fix.
Old 1st April, 2002, 05:57 AM
Banned

I had no real good answers, there have been documented issues with the Radeon 8500 and the 8KHA+. Since I haven't bought that card (yet) I couldn't tell you how others are dealing with it, but I do remember it had something to do with the sideband addressing or another AGP setting, which might explain why lowering the GPU a bit helped...

I did happen to find this:

Quote:

ok, i've change back to my XP today and i did change the driving value in the BIOS to EA not auto...my system seems to work fine!! i have to test it some more days, but i can play Medal of Honor and Wolfenstein and i've ran 2 3dmark tests free from problems!
Old 1st April, 2002, 05:59 AM
Banned

He has a different video card (nvidia). It may or may not work, I did some research and couldn't find much.

I also like the suggestion (thanks BobyJo ) in the thread to go to AMDMB and read Mushkin Rulz's thread in the Epox section to be sure all the memory and various motherboard settings are correct.
Old 1st April, 2002, 05:12 PM

Like you mentioned, his is a problem with an Nvidia.

But as far as I know, my memory settings SHOULD be correct. At least they seem to work just find.

If you could link those posts so I could check my information, I would appreciate it.
Old 1st April, 2002, 07:36 PM
Banned

AMDMB.com thread by mushkin rules

Last edited by Pinky; 1st April, 2002 at 07:40 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2002, 08:19 PM

Quote:
AMDMB.com thread by mushkin rules
Domo arigato. When I'm back in front (wait, what?) of my computer, I'll check those out.
Old 1st April, 2002, 10:30 PM

Question

Wally::The first 8500 I received was lockup city, just like the one you have.
The second 8500 had different colors all over the screen, I took it back.
The third 8500 is still the one I am using, and no problems at all.
I can only give you this advise you is take the 8500 back and keep returning them until you get one that works like you want.
I have a system just like yours except I am running W2k not XP. And no problems at all.
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2002, 10:59 PM
AOA Staff

after you get all the drivers and crap installed, go back and reinstall DX 8.1... it will tell you that it wont do anything, but do it anyway.... if that dont fix it we'll try the AGP command rate, but I bet that does it.. also U may have noticed the stock cooling sucks bootie, so U may need to have a fan blowin right on it if your gonna stick with the pixie cooler
Old 2nd April, 2002, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
after you get all the drivers and crap installed, go back and reinstall DX 8.1... it will tell you that it wont do anything, but do it anyway.... if that dont fix it we'll try the AGP command rate, but I bet that does it.. also U may have noticed the stock cooling sucks bootie, so U may need to have a fan blowin right on it if your gonna stick with the pixie cooler
Yeah, I just picked up a pair of deltas to stick in the side panel of my case, for more cooling on it. I need to pick up a 120MM for a top blowhole as well. That stock cooling does indeed seem weak. Too bad you have to epoxy anything else on there.

Also, surlyjoe, do you think it could be a problem with a bad card, or is it more likely a setting?

Last edited by Wa11y; 2nd April, 2002 at 02:40 PM.
Old 2nd April, 2002, 06:59 PM
AOA Staff

I guess it could be a bad card, but it dont sound like it,, have youi tried using the "software compatability wizard" on the game? it fixed half life for me,,,, also are U trying 3dmark2001 se? or the older one.
Old 2nd April, 2002, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
I guess it could be a bad card, but it dont sound like it,, have youi tried using the "software compatability wizard" on the game? it fixed half life for me,,,, also are U trying 3dmark2001 se? or the older one.
Using the older 3dMark 2K1, but it's also happening in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. A few minutes into it, it locks up hard, then reboots. Pretty much ANYTHING 3D.

And how does one reinstall DirectX?
Old 2nd April, 2002, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y

And how does one reinstall DirectX?
My suggested order of driver installation:

1 - Chipset/motherboard drivers
2 - Direct X (Just run the DirectX file again or download from www.aoafiles.com)
3 - Video/Sound
Old 2nd April, 2002, 11:02 PM

Quote:

My suggested order of driver installation:

1 - Chipset/motherboard drivers
2 - Direct X (Just run the DirectX file again or download from www.aoafiles.com)
3 - Video/Sound
I usually do video first, because I can't stand 800x600 or less, then chipset, then eventually sound. And DX tends to come standard with windows, so I just update that with the rest of my Windows Updates.
Old 3rd April, 2002, 01:22 AM

Just reinstalled DX 8.1, and set my card back to default speeds, and ran 3DMark 2K1 SE. Got to dragothic, and it froze up.

Is there a way to measure your VAGP, other than rebooting and seeing what the BIOS says?
Old 11th April, 2002, 01:58 PM

Question

Wally::I think the rule of thumb, always install all drivers (ALL) and if the system is operating good. Like you expect it to, then install your vid drivers last (LAST).
Now no one can make you follow this, it is your decision, but if you install the vid card drivers first, how will you know that those drivers are causing the problem?
When you install these drivers last, at least you can posisitively say "yea" the system was operating great before I installed the vid drivers. See the reasoning behind this mode of thinking? Again I think you should read the thread by Muskin Rules. Print out the first pages about settings, IRQ assignments and PCI card placements. The memory timming settings and cpu settings.
This could relieve a multitude of problems or possible problems with your system.
I generally learn the hard way. I have a problem in anyone telling me what to do to fix something. Since I have been building for over 10yrs, I should know, right?
Well no one, mainly myself knows everything all of us should listen to others that are trying to help.
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 11th April, 2002, 07:53 PM

While I understand your reasoning, how is it supposed to be a successful test of your video card if you are using the default drivers for Windows? Back in 98, the default drivers were crap, and wouldn't do above 640x480. I'm not sure how the default drivers in XP are, but there's no way I'm running my system with default drivers anyway. It'd be like trying to run a speed test in a car with everything stock. No point, because that's not how you're going to run the race.