AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th June, 2007, 12:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

BOSE Companion 5

BOSE a manufacturer of high-end audio systems; after concentrating on systems for larger areas like stadiums and home theaters are now looking to focus on a bigger market.

Front page

Discuss.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th June, 2007, 06:19 PM
AOA Staff

Looks like a respected brand name putting their label on something mediocre, to make a quick buck. Shame they don't go all out and make something you would really want to have.
Old 15th June, 2007, 07:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I have sampled many Bose products in the past. They are always good quality. I am surprised Bose would do this.

Usually over priced but always quality. A sad day.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th June, 2007, 09:43 PM

Yeah, have a chance to hear it and sounds very good but at $399, I don't think so. Thanks.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Old 16th June, 2007, 01:31 AM
Steve Jobs

Bose has had a reputation for making quality in the past, but for several years now their reputation has been going down the toilet. The Bose QuietComfort/Triport headphones have been regarded as some of the worst headphones on the market, sounding worse than the average $20 supermarket cans despite costing hundreds, while some of their 5.1 home theater systems have a cheap feel and sound to them.

They've sort of become a joke among audio experts, with the wealthy and ignorant usually doing the Bose 'buy and brag'. I still have a set of 1980s Studiocraft speakers here, that are brilliant despite their age, but I think sometime during the 90s they took a bad turn, much like Mercedes did.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 19th June, 2007, 12:36 PM

Bang and Olufsen. Linn. Names you should know if your genuinely serious about audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 19th June, 2007, 02:26 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Hmm, there's a number of people who put B&O in a similar category to BOSE.
Old 19th June, 2007, 02:36 PM
Steve Jobs

B&O is a fashion company, not an audio company. There is a difference between making a CD player function like a piece of art, and making it sound like one. Some of the best audio gear in the world is the ugliest (Stax cans and AKG 1000s being a good example). Not to say that B&O make poor sounding gear, but it just doesn't live up to its price tag or even come close, unless you're impressed by shiny spinny things.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 19th June, 2007, 04:17 PM

I went to a B&O showroom a while ago and was thoroughly impressed.

I don't want an arguement about the intricate details of sound, but I think a lot of it is down to user perception. Obviously some product sound obviously better than others, but a lot of it is down to the user. For example you hate EAX, but I seem to remember others think it's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]