AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th July, 2007, 03:41 PM

Recommend a RAID controller

To all those more knowledgeable and experienced than I; I wish to build a RAID array, using four (4) Seagate 320GB 7200.10 HDDs. I am looking for a hardware RAID controller that uses a PCI Express x1 expansion slot. Of course, performance is first priority, but price is also a major consideration.

Could someone make a couple of recommendations for comparison?

Last edited by Arctucas; 10th July, 2007 at 03:43 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th July, 2007, 04:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The only SATA RAID controllers I can find that will support 4 drives are PCI-e x4. 3Ware makes a 2-drive controller that fits in a PCI-e x1 slot. In theory, you should be able to plug an x4 card into an x1 slot, but I'd check before you try.

That said, I've not got any experience with the 3Ware SATA controllers, but I've heard that they are quite good, and they are priced competitively.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th July, 2007, 09:49 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The aggregate data transfer rate of the four drives (~261Mb/sec) you have chosen is higher than the real world maximum of a PCI express x1 slot (~215Mb/sec).
Old 12th July, 2007, 06:48 PM

I found this; http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/prod...SHJ2L7WH3SF9FF,
which seems like it would be perfect. Any comments on the quality of this unit? I apologize if I seem like a noob, but RAID arrays and controllers are actually new to me.
Old 12th July, 2007, 07:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It doesn't have any cache memory on it, but as Áedán points out, you're already taking a hit for performance due to the fact that your 4 drives are capable of sustained throughput (in a RAID 0, or 5 configuration) in excess of what you can shove across the x1 slot anyway, so the lack of cache memory probably won't make that much difference.

Other than that, my last experience with Highpoint RAID controllers was 5 years ago, and wasn't pleasant. I can't speak to the newer models, though; they very well may have cleaned up their act. Best I can suggest is to look at some reviews?
Old 12th July, 2007, 08:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Check out our Hot Deals topic on the Front Page:

http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/c.../view/2838/50/

I've provided some links to some deals for you there. If there is a deal you want to take advantage of, be sure to use the link. That will ensure you get the deal and also help AOA.
Old 13th July, 2007, 11:55 AM

Gizmo,

Thanks, but apparently the links you provided are all to web sites that are in my Hosts (MVPS) file, and therefore I would not wish to venture there.

You make two very good points about the lack of cache, and that PCI 1x doesn't have the bandwidth.

So would a PCI-E 8x be so much faster that it would warrant using it (my motherboard only has one, and I was hoping to use it for another card)?
Old 13th July, 2007, 01:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

The links are to redirect sites for tracking purposes. I can assure that the links are quite benign, however I'd lay money that the reason those sites are in your Hosts file are because of the fact that they ARE redirect sites, and that is one of the tricks that spammers use.

By all means, do what you feel best. I would sooner lose a few dollars in commissions than have you believe that we knowingly caused you harm.

As for the other part, PCI-e 4x would be sufficient for what you are doing. Your drives have a rated maximum sustained transfer rate of 72 MB/s. In a RAID 0 or RAID 5, this would mean a maximum aggregate sustained transfer rate of 288 MB/s. The maximum transfer rate of PCI-e 1x is 250 MB/s.

SATA II has a burst transfer rate of 300 MB/s, so you have a theoretical burst of about 1200 MB/s. However, the smallish caches on the drives (8 or 16 MB depending on the model) means that would only come into play for small accesses, and whether that is an issue really depends on what kind of data access patterns you have.

Since I suspect you are going to be doing mostly small bursts of data rather than large sustained transfers (this is the typical pattern for most users), I would expect that the combination of cache plus a wider PCI-e implementation could buy you something in the area of 20% or so performance improvement.

However, that is going to come at a price, the price being a more expensive controller. A PCI-e 4 controller should be sufficient, but you are going to be looking at something in the area of 3 bills or better, I imagine: the 4-port PCI-e 4x SATA 2 9650SE controller from 3Ware that I mentioned earlier is located here and is right at $400 retail, although you should be able to find it for around $350.

Edit: If you want to forgo the cache on the controller, the 4-port PCI-e 4x SATA 2 2240900R controller from Adaptec might be more to your liking at $109.

Last edited by Gizmo; 13th July, 2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 13th July, 2007, 03:25 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I've tried formatting the links using javascript instead of HTML. They still redirect, but hopefully they aren't redirecting through someone that you find objectionable. Would you mind to check and let me know?

If they work for you, I've also created links to some deals on the Adaptec controller for you; they are located here on the Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/c.../view/2841/50/
Old 13th July, 2007, 06:07 PM

Gizmo,

Thanks for your continued patience.

I tried, but the hyperlinks are gone. There is only text now.

Anyway, my drives are Seagate ST3320620AS; 7200 RPM, 16MB cache.

So, anything over PCI-E 4x is a waste of bandwidth? I suppose PCI 2.2 is not recommended either?

Unfortunately, those are my only options. It appears that the PCI-E 8x will be my best bet?

Thanks again for taking the time to explain all this.
Old 13th July, 2007, 06:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctucas
I tried, but the hyperlinks are gone. There is only text now.
I take it that you have javascript disabled then?

Quote:
Anyway, my drives are Seagate ST3320620AS; 7200 RPM, 16MB cache.

So, anything over PCI-E 4x is a waste of bandwidth? I suppose PCI 2.2 is not recommended either?

Unfortunately, those are my only options. It appears that the PCI-E 8x will be my best bet?

Thanks again for taking the time to explain all this.
For your needs, anything over PCI-e 4x wouldn't really gain you anything unless you added more drives and ran a really mondo-big RAID.

PCI 2.2 is a bit different critter; as you would still be running 33 MHz, 32-bit, you would be taking a step backwards in bandwidth from even PCIe 1x (I'm assuming your mobo doesn't have 64-bit PCI slots, or support PCI-X?).
Old 13th July, 2007, 10:29 PM

Gizmo,

No, Javascript is enabled.

I only have two PCI-E 16x, one PCI-E 8x, one PCI-E 1x and two PCI 2.2.

Given my situation, would you recommend using the 1x or the 8x slot?
Old 14th July, 2007, 12:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Necorum Send a message via MSN to Necorum Send a message via Yahoo to Necorum

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=AD-1430SA&c=pw

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...OTC-pr1c3watch

ON this one you could jery rig your wires to go back into your box from the outside but meh

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...CMP=OTC-PWATCH

Also the only thing i could find will cost 3XX+

what about onboard solutions?

3dMark 11: P7023
3dMark Vantage: P31097
Old 14th July, 2007, 12:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to Necorum Send a message via MSN to Necorum Send a message via Yahoo to Necorum

cheapest way is an onboard setup whats your system specs?

3dMark 11: P7023
3dMark Vantage: P31097

Last edited by Necorum; 14th July, 2007 at 12:43 AM.
Old 14th July, 2007, 01:20 AM

I am currently using this card in a DFI Lanparty CFX3200 due to it having serious issues with the onboard ULI controller. I have been running it for a little over a year without any issues. It is PCI-E 4X (8X and 16X compatible). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816115027

Highpoint also makes a PCI-E 1X model # 2300 that works quite well, 200mb/sec sustained transfer, you take a small hit on burst transfers due to limited bandwidth but it's not something you would ever notice without using a benchmark. I have also used the 2300 and it is reliable and fairly priced. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816115029

Last edited by ccperf721p; 14th July, 2007 at 02:29 AM.
Old 14th July, 2007, 03:14 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
No, Javascript is enabled.
Hmm........very, very curious.

Quote:
Given my situation, would you recommend using the 1x or the 8x slot?
That's really a tough question for me to answer. Here's what it really comes down to:

Is the extra 20% or so performance boost that you MIGHT see, worth the extra cost of using an x4 or x8 controller and sacrificing an x8 slot to do so?

For me, and for what I do with my machine, the answer would absolutely be yes. For you?

First off, what are your reasons for going with a RAID to start with? If your primary concern is redundancy, with performance as a secondary consideration, then going with an x1 controller would probably get you the most bang for your buck. If performance is equally in important with redundancy (or more important), then (considering that you have an x8 slot but no x4 slots, and there's no guarantee that an x4 controller will work in an x8 slot), I'd go with an x8 controller.
Old 15th July, 2007, 04:56 PM
Metal Wizard

My Favorite Raid Controller

Has to be the wasp spray!! It kills them dang things from long range!!
It offers great control and is as easy as point and shoot!!

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
Recommend a RAID controller-raid.jpg  
Old 15th July, 2007, 05:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Weld, weld, weld.......(walks off shaking head)
Old 15th July, 2007, 09:37 PM

Gizmo,

Performance is priority.
Old 16th July, 2007, 02:51 AM
Metal Wizard

Well I wish I knew just exactly every piece of your system. Is this raid to be used in a typoe of home server? Here is an article on a megaraid 5 card.
Raid 5 is extremely fast and is I think the best way to insure your prized little bits of info stay safe. In a raid 5 array if you lose a hdd you can just replace it with a new one and rebuild the raid with no loss of info. A hardware raid is nice cuz you never have to worry about your operating system going corrupt and causing you to get screwed with data loss while repairing windows. A bad mobo does not hurt you. you can movce your raid to a completely different board and not have to worry about the new board supporting your raid set up. Just move the card and drives to the new rig install the software and it is back!! So do some reading and figure out which is right for you!!
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/27840/77/
Check out this article, it is a good read and perhaps will answer some questions you have.

WZ

Last edited by weldzilla; 16th July, 2007 at 02:55 AM.