AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th September, 2007, 07:12 AM

HIS Radeon x1900xt 256 mb fried

Hey guys.

On Saturday nite i was running some 3d mark benches,when after about 30 minutes these lines appeared on my crt,the pc was locked up,i rebooted,just thought its a glitch in Aquamark,but then i tried all my games,and the same thing happened,over and over again,checked the temps under idling,it was normal,below 40degrees.So it could not be overheating,as i had a Zalman vf900 on it.At that point i could get onto desktop with no display issues,as long as i didnt stress the card,but after a while of trying this and that,it just gave me those lines period.I tried the card in my Gigabyte k8n ultra,same thing,it was displaying those lines from bootup,so i knew the card was busted.On closer inspection of the card,i saw that 1 of those black chips that sit alongside the heatsinks that come as stock on the card,was broken off,its called Pulse something with a no. next to it.Is this the course of my weird display and can it be replaced,and also,do u guys think the card overheated,as im sure it didnt.Any advice desperately needed,i am very sad now.

cheers.
Old 10th September, 2007, 07:37 AM

I think those black blocks are called power inductors.I checked the card,and this is the no. on it.

Pulse PA 0511.101NL 0620-S.
these sit right next to the red heatsinks that came with card.
Old 10th September, 2007, 10:08 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

It's an inductor (Pulse call the part a "Power Bead"). The part number is PA0511.101NL (datasheet here). It is almost definately involved in regulating the voltage used to supply the core or memory on the card.

It is replacable - although soldering SMT parts is not an easy task.

Last edited by Áedán; 10th September, 2007 at 10:10 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th September, 2007, 10:26 AM

ok thanks Aedan.i will try and source the part and replace it,as i got nothing to lose now by trying,but tell me,can i damage any other components like my mb,if i get it wrong.

cheers.
Old 10th September, 2007, 11:48 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Yes, if you get it wrong, there is a risk that you would damage other components.
Old 10th September, 2007, 01:13 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

So don't get it wrong!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!