AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th September, 2007, 08:23 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Question Ageia, worth or not?

I saw the prices go down for this card. I know that Airborne and UT3 work with Ageia and I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with this card.

Thanks
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th September, 2007, 12:14 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Dave, cadaveca, swore by this thing. I thought it made a difference on games that support it. Nothing on games that do not. There were a few sites out there that did a comparison. I will have a look around. If you find something, post it up so we can see.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th September, 2007, 01:15 PM

I took one of my 8800's out to try one out (wasnt enough room for both) and I couldnt tell the difference at all.
4gb OCZ SLI 8500 DDR2 RAM
2x Nvidia 8800GTX
Creative X-Fi Xtream Gamer Fatal1ty Professional 7.1
Enermax 1000W Galaxy PSU
Asus 19" Wide Screen Monitor.
14320 3Dmark06 @ 1440x900
Old 11th September, 2007, 01:17 PM
Benchmarker

X-bit labs - News around the Web - New AGEIA PhysX Reviews: Now in Numbers

Havok Sounds Off On Ghost Recon AGEIA Physics - News and Siteseeing

If I had a 10 fps drop in games when activating ppu it's ok but I am not sure how many fps one looses when ppu is enabled.

@Daston, which game have you used to test?
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 11th September, 2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11th September, 2007, 01:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

So I guess it is not about performance as much as eye candy. With an 8800 and the right games it should really pay off. The cards have dropped in price drastically.
Old 11th September, 2007, 02:44 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

UT3 will support it, Crysis will not, Source does not and most shipped licensed versions of UE3 will not.

GRAW supports it, and, that's about it.

Crytek have finally realised that you can do far more on an availible CPU core than you ever could on a the Aegia Chip.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 13th September, 2007, 12:40 PM
Benchmarker

After reading a lot of comments I think Ageia is more of a toy rather than a serious thing. There are even workarounds that allow ppl to have full AGEIA physics in a game without having the card ! So no Ageia for me yet.

Old 14th September, 2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
There are even workarounds that allow ppl to have full AGEIA physics in a game without having the card !
Could you explain how? I'm really curious.
Old 14th September, 2007, 04:46 PM
Steve Jobs

There are games that use the PhysX card as a 'requirement' to enable certain effects. Fact of the matter is, a high end Core2Duo can handle those 'high end' special effects quite comfortably, and they're only restricting this extra physics content for the sake of making the card impressive.

Its sort of like how DX10 'requires' vista. Fact is it doesn't, its just that they want to restrict it to Vista users to show that there is some benefit. Similarly, they do the same thing with the extended phyics content in some games.

Nvidia did the same thing with the Geforce 7. The GF7 is technically identical to the GF6 in terms of feature set. In order to make it sound more impressive, they enabled a certain feature, called Transparencey antialiasing in the driver for Geforce 7 only. Well.. later on, they released an 'oops' driver that accidentally enabled this feature on Geforce 6 chips. Soon after, this so called 'exclusive' feature became standard for GF6, even though it was initially said to be a GF7 only feature. They were just pretending it was needed.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles

Last edited by dsio; 14th September, 2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 15th September, 2007, 06:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I wish I could understand why they do theses things. There's an ARMY of gamers and hobbists that fight to embrace new hardware and software. Who WANT to believe that the providers are gamers at heart and care about their best interests.

They just piss away so much good will and customer satisfaction when they play these games.

It gets harder to be a fan boy everyday...
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 24th September, 2007, 04:17 PM

It is my opinion that the Ageia card is a COMPLETE waste of money, as it does not look as if the game industry is going to embrace it. I haven't seen many games offering support, while a fair number ARE supporting alternate physics schemes like HAVOK. My Advice? Spend the money on some faster RAM :P

AOA Team fah
Old 24th September, 2007, 05:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Even if it were the cat's pajamas, with everyone pushing SLI again, how likely are card makers to endorse something that competes for a slot in the line up?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic