AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th April, 2002, 09:45 PM

Which is the better snd card? Santa Cruz, Audigy or Philips Acoustic Edge?

1) Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
2) Creative Blaster Audigy line
3) Philips Acoustic Edge

My OS is WinXP
EPoX 8KHA+
AMD XP 1700+ (FSB@145=1.6ghz)

DVD & Mp3 playback and 5.1 surround is my primary focus and video games as secondary enjoyment.....With that in mind I would like to hear your comments.....
Old 7th April, 2002, 11:57 PM
Banned

Dunno about Philips, I personally have the Santa Cruz and it's a top performer for less than the creative card. The audigy appears to be a good card, but I have no first hand experiences to share.
Old 8th April, 2002, 12:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

No herc fortisimo or XP gamer?
Old 8th April, 2002, 10:14 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I have the Philips Acoustic Edge, and I don't have any problems with it. I've never used the Audigy, as I generally avoid Creative Labs on the grounds of poor drivers and not so good analog output quality.

The Acoustic Edge has no AC3 encoder, so PC based 5.1 output only comes from the 6 analog outputs. I've had no issues with the 5.1 output on the AE.

Playing DVD movies supports AC3 passthrough to the SPDIF output connector, as well as the 6 analog outputs when used with compatible DVD player software.

The card won't pass AC3 from the SPDIF input to the SPDIF output, but I have no need for such features.

AidanII
Old 8th April, 2002, 10:53 AM
BongWater

Can only supply you with my opinion based upon my experience and I'd say without hesitation the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz...the versi-jack alone puts it above the others. Never a single crackle, squeak etc for almost 9 months. DVD sound has been excellent as well.

And its only $61 at NewEgg for retail pack.

BongWater
Old 8th April, 2002, 02:32 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BongWater
Can only supply you with my opinion based upon my experience and I'd say without hesitation the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz...the versi-jack alone puts it above the others
Never understood why they bothered with the Versajack! It seems a little odd to me, as if you want both digital out and centre/sub then you're out of luck.

Did a quick comparison on dearhoney (a nice chinese site) and grabbed the results below.

The Acoustic Edge does badly in the flatness of it's frequency response. The rest of the AE's figures are pretty average.

The Audigy does well on noise and dynamic range, but is way below par on total harmonic distortion (THD), Inter-Modulation Distortion (IMD) and crosstalk.

The SantaCruz, does well across the range, but doesn't excel in any area.

I put the Live! 5.1 in as a comparison - it's surprising how it compares to the Audigy

AidanII
Attached Thumbnails
Which is the better snd card? Santa Cruz, Audigy or Philips Acoustic Edge?-dearhoney.gif