AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st December, 2007, 11:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

ATi it is

Hi guys,
i see there's still "no" stocks of 8800GT' in the UK. So, i'm going for a 3850 256mb. I'm probably gonna get a cooler to replace the stock one, don't want a headache just from gaming . But now i need to decide which drivers i should go with. With my 7600GT, i've been using the XG163.75's, which provided similar performance to the 89 something or others i used before, but were updated purely for updating. I'm looking for similar quality drivers, but i can't decide which ones i should go for. I'm on Vista x64 now (have been for a while) so they need to be suitable for this OS.

Cheers,
Scott.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st December, 2007, 06:06 PM
AOA Staff

I think you may be hard pushed finding ATI drivers on par with NVIDIA drivers.
Old 22nd December, 2007, 03:35 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

ocuk are claiming to have a fair few 8800gt's at least in 512mb format. Components » Graphics and Video » NVIDIA 8800 GT Series - Overclockers UK

But at those prices an 8800gts 512 isnt much more money and is quicker
Old 22nd December, 2007, 12:57 PM

Well, my 3850 arrived this morning. It is AMAZING! The FPS in everything is 2-4x higher at higher settings! However, there's a bug, seems to be in the drivers. Here's my quote from the WoW Forums:

Quote:
Hi all,
I've got a brand spanking new 3850 Pro 256MB Graphics card. It absolutely slaughters every game i've tried (even Crysis Demo on High and Very High!). Even WoW runs much more smoothly now, 8xAA, 16xAF, everything at MAX and all eye candy turned on. However, there's just one "slight" problem; No trees:
ImageShack - Hosting :: wowgpubugic7.jpg

Even some of the mobs are translucent, like Terokkar's Ironspine Chomper's. I was playing on a 7600GT until this morning, and all was good last night (except the fps lol). Nothing else in my system has changed. I know it's probably a driver issue as usual, but just thought it'd be a good idea to post something here. If anyone knows anything, please share.

Driver: Catalyst 7.12
I've also submitted it to the Catalyst team. hope it gets fixed, don't wanna be called a wall hacker (although it only happens on thin objects so not really walls).

But Crysis SP Demo does look awesome and has the FPS to match. CoD4 Demo is smooth now (i thought it was before as well).

As for the 8800GT 512, it's a little bit out of the range. Had about £140 to spend (significantly less than i planned originally) so i had to adapt to what was actually available. If i hadn't ordered when i did, it'd have been after christmas when i got it. Also got an Accelero S1 and some ramsinks so might install that later.

On a note, the stock fan, when at 100%, it sounds JUST like a hairdryer, not as loud, but the same sound.

Also OCed it to 699/899, so gonna go try that out now.

Overall, a good buy, and the price hits nvidia right in the "you know what" .

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd December, 2007, 03:00 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok View Post
I think you may be hard pushed finding ATI drivers on par with NVIDIA drivers.
Prehaps, but historically, the laatest driver is usually the best, and ATi cards see huge gains with their drivers.

New cards start of abysmal, but mature very nicely with each driver revision.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 22nd December, 2007, 06:04 PM

Well i've discovered what's causing the transparent textures to become translucent; in-game MSAA. If i set it down to MSAAx1, all textures are solid. If, however, i set it to anything higher, it bugs. I've tried forcing both MSAA and SSAA in the control panel to no avail (there's no AA on any of the edges at all).

Anyone know if i'm missing something here?

Sorted it: Disabling AAA completely in Catalyst CPL, but setting normal AA to "Application Controlled" sorted it. I only wanted AA on rocks and stuff, don't care about trees as they're jaggy enough as it is. 8xaa ftw ^^!

Last edited by skool h8r; 22nd December, 2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 22nd December, 2007, 09:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Sounds like you might be enjoying yourself! Post some screenies when you find the time.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 22nd December, 2007, 11:37 PM

No screenshots, but i do have photos:

ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc003312cb1.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc003322lp5.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc00333jk3.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc003342uk2.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc00338as5.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc00347dy8.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc00345fc7.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc00351gp9.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc00352ma3.jpg

Also got it overclocked more to 700/1000

Last edited by skool h8r; 22nd December, 2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old 23rd December, 2007, 12:24 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Sweet!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 24th December, 2007, 02:58 PM

Don't suppose anyone knows how i can run the Nvidia series 8 demos on this card. Tried the cascades one and said it needed an 8-series card and updated geforce drivers, in addition to Vista. I know it's not an nvidia card, but surely there's got to be some way i can run it (command line switch perhaps).

Old 24th December, 2007, 03:48 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I doubt you will be able to run the nV demos on your card, unfortunately, if not because they require an nV card to be present they are likely to be very highly optimised for nV cards, and since you don't have one it may attempt to do things that your card can't do, or does differently.

Sounds like you got an awesome card though

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 24th December, 2007, 05:03 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r View Post
Don't suppose anyone knows how i can run the Nvidia series 8 demos on this card. Tried the cascades one and said it needed an 8-series card and updated geforce drivers, in addition to Vista. I know it's not an nvidia card, but surely there's got to be some way i can run it (command line switch perhaps).
Unlikely. About the only way is to trick the system into registering the card as a GF8.

If you're looking to stress test, the ATiTool is second to none.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 26th December, 2007, 07:19 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Is that a pic of Elvis with long hair on that Vidcard's box? Is that a 5/8" thick plate of glass inside your case? Is the planet an oblate spheroid? Questions that don't really need an answer.
Old 27th December, 2007, 02:19 AM
Steve Jobs

Nice flying machine mount btw
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 3rd January, 2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
Is that a pic of Elvis with long hair on that Vidcard's box? Is that a 5/8" thick plate of glass inside your case? Is the planet an oblate spheroid? Questions that don't really need an answer.
No. No. Possibly. True. =P

I've got a nice new case arrive today; TrendSonic/Frontier Shinobi from Ebuyer. Now got a 120mm fan cooling under the graphics card and also onto the HR05-SLI, in addition to my original fans. Now i can run the 3850 HSF at 70% and still maintain decent temps (and noise level). It's not another of these "ooh, fancy sparkly lights" cases like my previous ones, more simple but better for cooling. It's not easy to photo either

Also, in the move over, it seems that dual-channel memory is COMPLETELY out of the window now. So now i'm running 2-3-3-6-2T, but in single channel. I'm still not sure whether it's the memory, or something else (chipset perhaps), but it did all start when i got this GeIL 2GB kit a few months ago. The performance in dual-channel was astounding, CoD4 was 30+ FPS, Crysis was 25+ FPS (with a few console commands which increased FPS without quality loss). Now, in single-channel, the FPS is similar, not quite as high, but similar. This whole loss of dual-channel has really put me off GeIL completely, even if this is only the value stuff.

Those crysis commands i used are as follows:
Quote:
Crysis
* items mean that each values effects should be observed and changed to match taste

con_restricted=0
e_vegetation_static_instancing=1
r_Coronas=1
r_sunshafts=1
r_SSAO=0
r_UsePOM=1
r_TexturesStreaming=0
r_UseSoftParticles=1
e_proc_vegetation=0
e_clouds=0
e_wind=1
q_Renderer=3
r_colorgrading=0
*e_water_ocean_fft=0/1
Still, the card itself kicks ass. My 7600GT is actually weeping in the corner. Guess that's what business rivalry does

Last edited by skool h8r; 3rd January, 2008 at 06:39 PM.