AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th January, 2008, 02:16 AM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

7900 GT card dying?

Hey, good to be back. Just been really, really busy. Still on the national rocketry team and en route to the international championships in Spain next year. I'm also in another national rocketry competition. Since the last time I posted I've soloed in a sailplane. Now I'm a licensed student pilot.

Anyway, back to the thing at hand. I'm almost positive my video card is dying, it's still under warranty, so it shouldn't be a big deal to replace it if necessary. I just want to hear your opinions.

The symptoms:

In all games that stress my card I get funny textures, artifacts, and infinite polygons. Also there's this thing that happens that makes it look like I'm in hyperspace, with all objects sending out polygons towards the screen. Sometimes when the polygons or textures get really bad, it hangs and requires a hard reset.

The things I've tried:

The card is not overheating, overclocked, or anything. I have fully removed the drivers using drivercleaner, and reinstalled the most recent drivers. I have run Memtest without issue. I've run processor stress tests without issue. I have reinstalled DX9. I don't know if it occurs in DX8 games as I don't currently have any installed. I have not reformatted, so, in theory it could still be software. I don't have any other PCIe cards so I can't try another card, unfortunately. And I don't have any DX9 compatible PCI cards.

All of my experience points to a bad video card, but I want to hear some opinions before I send it back.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th January, 2008, 03:10 AM

Here's a pic of the "hyperspace" effect. Also, this is a random occurrence, not all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
7900 GT card dying?-video-issue.jpg  
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th January, 2008, 04:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Looks fried to me....

Great to have you back...
Old 6th January, 2008, 06:36 AM

Just ran ATiTool, it is most certainly the video card. Right in the 70-75 C range artifacts start popping up. That is an acceptable temp and it has been running for a year and a half at that temp without issue, but clearly it has failed. If it were software it wouldn't matter what temp it was.

I'll RMA it and get a new one, then maybe I'll OC that one, get a good cooler on it and whatnot.

Also! I am uploading ATiTool .26, even on my puny dial-up!
Old 8th January, 2008, 08:10 PM

Bah, PNY are a bunch of filthy, evil people. I registered the video card for warranty when I got it (I even copied it on my scanner) but they say I'm "not in their system."

I guess I'll be stuck with this card, as I have no money for anything computer.
Old 9th January, 2008, 03:47 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I have been trying to get a response back. I have until feb...
Old 9th January, 2008, 07:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redroar View Post
Hey, good to be back. Just been really, really busy. Still on the national rocketry team and en route to the international championships in Spain next year. I'm also in another national rocketry competition. Since the last time I posted I've soloed in a sailplane. Now I'm a licensed student pilot.
Dude! Your ripping it up!! You've done more stuff that I've wanted to in a year than I have in 10!

"Sail on silver bird, sail on"

Someone else will have to help you with your card...I'm way to envious! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic