AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th January, 2008, 11:01 PM
Steve Jobs

Vista Sound Problem

One of the new machines I built for the office has Vista on it, and is having sound problems.

The sound card works, but the thing is, sometimes when the machine boots, it boots without any analog sound output options, and it defaults to digital output. In settings it says "no speakers are connected" and it wont let me use the analog output.

So then I pull out and reseat the headphones plug a few times then reboot and it detects it and it works, then every now and then it wont detect the headphones connected and refuses to use that analog output as "its not connected".

My question is: Why does it do that? Why doesn't it just let me assume its connected and work irrespective of whether or not it thinks its connected.

And why does it take a reboot for vista to redetect the headphones?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th January, 2008, 11:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

You should try Fedora Dude!
(Think of this as my way of saying...Bump.)
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2008, 12:05 AM
Steve Jobs

We need _a_ vista machine to replicate vista problems as needed for clients, but yea, current breakdown in the office is:

2 Fedora
3 Ubuntu
1 Mac OSX
2 WinXP
1 Vista
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles

Last edited by dsio; 18th January, 2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 18th January, 2008, 04:36 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
One of the new machines I built for the office has Vista on it, and is having sound problems.

The sound card works, but the thing is, sometimes when the machine boots, it boots without any analog sound output options, and it defaults to digital output. In settings it says "no speakers are connected" and it wont let me use the analog output.

So then I pull out and reseat the headphones plug a few times then reboot and it detects it and it works, then every now and then it wont detect the headphones connected and refuses to use that analog output as "its not connected".

My question is: Why does it do that? Why doesn't it just let me assume its connected and work irrespective of whether or not it thinks its connected.

And why does it take a reboot for vista to redetect the headphones?
At a guess, I'm suspicioning that the thing HAS to detect whether or not there are any analog devices connected, so that it can enable or disable the output based on the content protection that's part of the built-in DRM infection crap that comes with Vista.
Old 20th January, 2008, 10:02 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Argh, DRM.