AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th January, 2008, 12:47 PM

Audigy 2 + crackling sound?

Hi,

I have an Audigy 2 soundcard and have it plugged into my TV. On some programs and games, I get a cracking or popping sound every 5 seconds or so, this is obviously very irritating. It happens in Counterstrike and also on some Windows Media Player videos on some websites.

However, the cracking doesnt occur in WinAmp, VLC media or DivX movies. I've updated drivers, but this hasnt cured it.

I initially thought it was some wireless interference or a bad cable, but if it works in some programs then it cant be this?

Any solutions/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 28th January, 2008, 01:12 PM
Steve Jobs

Two things:

Firstly: Plug a known good pair of earbuds or headphones in to rule out the cable.

Secondly: What operating system are you using?

Thirdly: Are you using the latest drivers for your card, or older drivers, or the drivers that it came with, or custom drivers?

Fourthly: Is this a recent thing or has it always had this problem (in other words, at what point did it start happening, or around what event)

I know thats more than two, but they don't pay me to count
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th January, 2008, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the quick response.

I've tried headphones in before, allbeit Medusa 5.1 ones. Cracking was to be heard on there as well.

I'm on Win XP and have used old drivers that came with it and updated to the newest of the new. Problem still occurs.

The problem occured like I said on my headphones before I moved house. I've since had the PC in storage for last few months and getting it out, realised its happening again.

Can't understand why it works on some apps and not on others?
Old 28th January, 2008, 02:16 PM
Steve Jobs

do you have any other computers that you could test the card in?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th January, 2008, 02:31 PM

Unfortunately, no I cant test the card elsewhere. Would the card be the problem though? Why does it work on some applications and not others if this was the case?
Old 28th January, 2008, 03:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Have you tried sticking it in a different slot? Seems to me like there was an issue with crackling audio that could be caused by resource conflicts, and it could sometimes be resolved by changing slots. As for why it happens on some apps and not others, it all depends on what the app is doing with the sound card and how heavily it is using the soundcard's capabilities, and how well the application is buffering its output.

Winamp in particular has the ability to adjust the playback buffer size in some of its plugins.
Old 28th January, 2008, 04:00 PM
Steve Jobs

Yea, that's a good idea. Typically the best option is PCI slot 5 in a non-PCI-X motherboard.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 1st February, 2008, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I now have my Soundcard in the bottom PCI slot. This has now meant the clicking noise is now less sharp and quieter... but is still there, allbeit not as annoying as previous.

Any further ideas?
Old 1st February, 2008, 10:06 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

This is a known issue for a lot of Creative Soundcards. There was an extensive thread here about the X-Fi "popping" problems. No matter what i tried (magnetic interference "card", driver modification, etc), i couldn't get the issue to go away (to be specific, i also experienced a lot of times where sound simply didn't start). From my testing, it was down to the drivers provided not loading in a time frame that Windows thought was suitable.

In the end, it went back on RMA as it was simply a faulty product. A LOT of other people, some with X-Fi, some with Audigy and Audigy 2, reported the exact same issues.

My advice? New card and don't bother with Creative until they sort out, what is inevitably, their issue.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)