AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st February, 2008, 05:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Warranty Report Pegs Xbox 360 Failure Rates at 16 Percent

Written by Daniel
Thursday, 21 February 2008
Majority of all Xbox 360 failures are from Red Ring of Death
Marcus Yam (Blog) - February 18, 2008 3:56 PM
DailyTech

The vulnerability of the Xbox 360 to a hardware failure known as the Red Ring of Death is a well publicized matter.... Front Page
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st February, 2008, 08:33 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

You'd think that a failure rate of five percent would be reasonable. Anyone know how reliable the PS3 is?
Old 21st February, 2008, 08:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The Wii and PS3 both appear to have failure rates of less than 1%, from what I can tell.

Depending on the complexity of the product, you generally shoot for a failure rate of .1% (that's 1/10 of 1%, or 1 failure per 1,000 units) or lower during the projected service life of the unit, and you expect the VAST majority of those to be either very early in the service life ('infant mortality') or very near the end of the service life.

Stuff in the 'high reliabilty' range will want to have a failure rate of .001% or lower over the service life.

Last edited by Gizmo; 21st February, 2008 at 08:52 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st February, 2008, 09:03 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gates
Our commitment is that it will be the most reliable video game box out there.
This guy is beyond belief. Bit late for this talk now.
Old 21st February, 2008, 09:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Depending on the complexity of the product, you generally shoot for a failure rate of .1%
Hmm.........from further research, consumer electronics appears to be rather a different beast from what I'm used to. Apparently 5% failure rate is considered acceptable. That's 1 in 20!

I don't think I've ever designed something that unreliable.......
Old 21st February, 2008, 10:32 PM
AOA Staff

5% is pretty poor.
Old 22nd February, 2008, 12:21 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Hmm.........from further research, consumer electronics appears to be rather a different beast from what I'm used to. Apparently 5% failure rate is considered acceptable. That's 1 in 20!

I don't think I've ever designed something that unreliable.......
Files code?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 22nd February, 2008, 12:25 AM
Steve Jobs

I've definately been worried about my PS3 from time to time, played Devil May Cry 4 last night for about two hours, then an hour of UT3, and the heat from that machine was /significant/. It sits in a cabinet slot about twice the width of the unit and twice the height of the unit, with an open front and back, and the heat of the air inside that slot was such that it was painful having my hand in there. The blue smoke smell is there as well. I've had it crash once, during Cod3 the week I got it a year ago, no problems since then (Possibly just because I was using firmware 1.0 at the time).

Stability wise its been good ever since. I wouldn't feel safe letting it fold all night or day though, and I would very much like to fit it with something like a Zalman Reserator.

By comparison, my 6800GT and 3200+ sits at about 30-35CC under full load in a warm room, and there isn't a single component other than the monitor that gives off any heat noticeable by a human touch.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles

Last edited by dsio; 22nd February, 2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 22nd February, 2008, 12:55 AM
AOA Staff

I'd be a bit paranoid about putting mine in a cabinet slot. I've got mine upright on my vast black desk of vastness, with plenty of space around it, on all sides.
Old 22nd February, 2008, 03:28 AM
Member/Contributer

We have a guy here at work who has the 360, he is on his 3rd one, and will be wanting a refund if it goes bad again. Another guy at work, his brother is onto his second 360 as well, and thats with the additional cooling package.

I have had a few slowdowns due to heat playing COD3 on the Wii (after an hour or so), but no crashes. I'm getting the cooling basestand, with LEDs for those times we play at parties. http://www.gpstore.co.nz/Games/1542829.html

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 22nd February, 2008, 07:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Files code?
cd /universe
rm -rf dsio

Last edited by Gizmo; 22nd February, 2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 22nd February, 2008, 08:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Runing F@H 24/7. It's horizontal in it's 33 WD X 9 inch HT cabnet. Only slightly warm to the touch. But I keep the room at around 60F, Summer may bring a reason to change the set up...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 22nd February, 2008, 08:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

On the MS warrenty...I think this totally un accecptable...HOW...Could...they....not...know?

Imaging being a retailer! "Sure we carry them! Take your pick 5 out of 6 actually work!!"
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 24th February, 2008, 09:20 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Watch me not run down to the store for an XBox. Was toying with the idea of getting one because the PS3 is so costly. Wii for me?
Old 24th February, 2008, 09:34 PM
AOA Staff

The difference in price, between an Xbox 360 and PS3 is only $50.

The PS3 hardware is more durable, they even test them before they leave the factory.

Also, online gaming is free on PS3, costs $50 a year on the 360.

Tags
hardware failure , xbox 360