AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th June, 2008, 02:34 PM

NVIDIA GTX 200 GPUS Officially Launched

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 200 GPUs
Experience a visual world like no other with GeForce GTX 280 and GTX 260.

With these words NVIDIA made the Officiall Launch of the GTX 200 line of GPUs...All that remains is to see if these series are what we have all been expecting for.

NVIDIA
Old 16th June, 2008, 03:11 PM

Arrow

I like pictures, so I always add it to your posts Hellas...hehe!
This is the 280GTX.
Attached Thumbnails
NVIDIA GTX 200 GPUS Officially Launched-geforce-280gtx.jpg  

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th June, 2008, 08:14 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

$650 for something that get's stomped by 2x8800GT's and the 9800GX2, and still draws more power than both?

With so many people with 8800GT's in their system that they can augment with a second, this is danagerous in my opinion.

Too Hot.
Too Expensive.

This chip should have NEVER been fabbed at 65nm. It needs 55nm. I really have to question the MRSP of this card. In terms of Price:Performance, this simply isn't competitive in it's current form, this has low-yields written all over it.

XBL/PNS = neolad

Last edited by Pitch; 16th June, 2008 at 08:24 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th June, 2008, 09:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Much thanks for background Pitch!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 17th June, 2008, 09:46 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

One 9600GT* is better than this brand new Vidcard? If so, Nvidia is plain nuts.
Old 17th June, 2008, 11:09 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
One 9600GT* is better than this brand new Vidcard? If so, Nvidia is plain nuts.
A single isn't. But Paired, they are. 2x9600GT's are also almost half the price. Have less power draw, and with so many out there, it'll be easy for anyone to pick another up to augment their system.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 18th June, 2008, 07:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to funnyperson1

To be fair, the GTX 280/260 only consume more power at full load. Using some impressive power management, the GTX cards at idle consume about as much power as a SINGLE 8800GT. Anyone who has a life will be in 2D mode at least 75-80% of the time. I do agree that the price is ridiculous though, but then again what high end video card in recent memory hasn't been ridiculously priced?

edit:
Consumption numbers from Anandtech:
AnandTech: NVIDIA's 1.4 Billion Transistor GPU: GT200 Arrives as the GeForce GTX 280 & 260
2GB Crucial Ballistix 6400@ DDR2 1000 C5
Geforce 7900GS
2x160gig hdd with WinXP, Vista, and Ubuntu
member of FOLDING@HOME team 32
Latitude D620 with XP, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon

Last edited by funnyperson1; 18th June, 2008 at 07:10 AM.
Old 18th June, 2008, 08:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

We no buy...they lower price... for some of us this isn't even a choice! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 18th June, 2008, 10:00 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

1.4 billion x-istor GPU. I'm impressed.
Old 19th June, 2008, 12:17 AM

My question is in the naming scheme. Why such the change?

The suffix was usually how you defined the class of card for Nv (GS, GT, GTX etc)

Now they've not only made it the pre-fix, but the series is only 2xx??
I realize its nothing huge, but in my mind is a definite step in another direction.
Old 19th June, 2008, 12:24 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seperah View Post
My question is in the naming scheme. Why such the change?

The suffix was usually how you defined the class of card for Nv (GS, GT, GTX etc)

Now they've not only made it the pre-fix, but the series is only 2xx??
I realize its nothing huge, but in my mind is a definite step in another direction.
I think it's an attempt to standardise their naming scheme a little, somewhat like Intel has.

nV's last generation naming scheme was appalling. 2x 8800GTS' one 8800GT, which outperformed one of the GTS' but not the other, then the 9600 which came out of nowhere, which was essentially a 8800GT. It's all maddness.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 19th June, 2008, 12:30 AM

Yea it's crazy alright, but one thing's for sure...
Nvidia is maken all kinds of money!

By the time I'm ready to upgrade again this card will be dirt cheap, just like the card I'm currently using is now. ($150)

Old 19th June, 2008, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch View Post
I think it's an attempt to standardise their naming scheme a little, somewhat like Intel has.

nV's last generation naming scheme was appalling. 2x 8800GTS' one 8800GT, which outperformed one of the GTS' but not the other, then the 9600 which came out of nowhere, which was essentially a 8800GT. It's all maddness.

This is true, I had almost completely forgot about the G92.

I just wish they would have moved up the number scale as opposed to a new system. Now your going to have some possible confusion based on the system of numbers. By logic 8800 > 280
Old 19th June, 2008, 06:09 PM

Double post: I realize.

Another thing that nags on me, has Nv been content to just sit on their performance lead and do nothing? - I'm looking at some new numbers coming out and I find myself scratching my head more and more.

Not only is this card a wee bit late coming to market, but not being fabbed @ 55nm seems near idiocy. On top of that, they seemed to miss their targeted clock speeds from some of the early reference models it appears.

Now if there just rushing a product to market to prove they're still working, thats fine. But the issue with that is the double-edge - this card will be 55nm very soon, however by then you may have put off some of your consumer base by the dismal performance and extreme cost of your first generation. Why might the customer take a chance on the second time around?

Finally; Christ almighty have they had a solid driver upon launch ...ever?
Some of the things that are being said (not always true though) seem to be nightmare(ish)

... and as Pitch pointed out, if you have one 8800GT - why not just throw in another? I mean, with the cost of this thing, you could by
another GPU and an SLI motherboard and still save yourself some coin.

Bring on the R770!

Last edited by tiamat63; 19th June, 2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 19th June, 2008, 06:45 PM
AOA Staff

Looking at this, the the 260 seems pretty good. Even if the memory configuration is compeltely odd. I still think my next setup will include a pair of 4850s.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 19th June, 2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch View Post
Looking at this, the the 260 seems pretty good. Even if the memory configuration is compeltely odd. I still think my next setup will include a pair of 4850s.
Idk; they seem a bit pricey, and given their size. I doubt you'll be seeing tons of them - I'm sure they'll be above their given values.

- I'll hold off
Old 20th June, 2008, 04:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to funnyperson1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
We no buy...they lower price... for some of us this isn't even a choice! ":O}
Or better yet, we no buy, ATI releases killer midrange card...they lower price fast. I for one can't understand how anyone can justify spending $600 on a video card, let along over $1,000 for 2-3 of them. My entire system cost me less than $600 almost two years ago (the equivalent would cost like $400 now).

I'm kinda glad that ATI is in the position they are in right now because they are focusing on the midrange and forcing Nvidia to lower prices as well. I'm planning on snagging a 4850 when it drops below $150 AR, and I'm sure that will happen soon after the 4870 and 9800GTX+ drop. First I'm going to mod the hell out of my 7900gs to see if I can get some more clocks just for fun.
2GB Crucial Ballistix 6400@ DDR2 1000 C5
Geforce 7900GS
2x160gig hdd with WinXP, Vista, and Ubuntu
member of FOLDING@HOME team 32
Latitude D620 with XP, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
Old 20th June, 2008, 05:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

"Will someone tell me which card I ended up buying so I'll know how happy I should be!?"

(When ever I see a post like this I know it will end in tears!)

Has it never accrued to Nvidia, Intel or ATI that Numbers and letters are sequential in a way we have all been educated to understand?

That almost anyone would most likely guess right if asked "which is newer 1 or 2 or A or B."
I'm guessing they confuse us on purpose....or that someone should be fired! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 20th June, 2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 20th June, 2008, 09:59 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The model numbering system BITES. They have a lot of nerve.
Old 20th June, 2008, 11:47 PM

I really don't care what they call their graphics cards as long as they have great performance at a reasonable cost.
They could call it the N-2 and I'd be happy with it...LOL
This is why I think they did the name change is because this is just the beginning of a NEW series of graphics cards with completely NEW Technology that's going to blow away the current technology standards of graphics cards now...remember the woopass? Still haven't seen this yet...

I think the last releases of cards have all just been a stall tactic until they are "Going to Open a Can of Whoop Ass”...
I just think they are milking what they got now until this next major step in Graphics Technology. IMO (More like instinct or a feeling I have about this)
You'll know when they put it out...It will be a big step forward in graphics technology just like the big step Intel did with CPU technology from the P4 Netburst architecture to the Core 2 Duo & Quad processors.

(Btw, the 200 series 177.35 XP drivers kickass on my 8800GTS, best drivers I've installed on it so far)

Last edited by MUff1N; 21st June, 2008 at 12:10 AM.