AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th April, 2002, 09:14 PM
eobard

"7"??????

I've changed a lot of things in my system recently. After setting things up my system is stable except for one anomalty. If I'm typing something and then walk away from the machine when the system comes back on after being in screen blanking mode there's a number "7" apperaing where the cursor is in the text box when the system blanked. The number 7 appears at other times too. I just reinstalled Baldur's Gate (original, I never did finish it) and as I create a character, when I get to the part where you input a name it's like the keyboard is jammed on the 7 key "777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777 77" is all I get, and when I backspace, more 7's fill in the spaces immediately. It won't let me put something else in. And when I play the game it's like the system is jammed with the 7 key pressed (I can't do anything in the game and the character keeps asking me "what?" as if I were constantly hammering a key). The reason I know this is linked to screen blank mode is because if I reboot and play Baldur's Gate before letting the game go into blank mode the "7" things don't happen. It all started once I got my new monitor so I know it's not my vid card, sound card or hard drive, which came later. So.....

what the hell do I do about it???
Old 12th April, 2002, 09:41 PM
Banned

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's your keyboard...

if your keyboard is RF (like mine) check where the receiver box is being kept, other electronic devices, when in close proximity, will interfere with the signal and cause strangeness like this... with a corded keyboard this maybe a symptom of dirt, etc...
Old 12th April, 2002, 10:30 PM
eobard

It's corded. And I don't see how it can be dirt. I'm typing this fine without miles of "7"s being put on screen. But if I paused this long enough for the power save mode to kick in, and then came back to it, one solitary number 7 would be wherever the cursor was left at. It isn't be a mechanical problem with the keyboard.
Old 13th April, 2002, 12:29 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Virus? But I think it may be your key board, got a spare?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th April, 2002, 01:38 AM
eobard

Can't be virul, I had the same problem on my Maxtor drive (while it was still working half decent) and it was there immediately upon installing Windows fresh from the CD. I'm not wrapping my brain around the concept of a bad keyboard that works fine until the screen blanking sets in either, it may be that but I just can't fathom it. I hope it isn't my keyboard anyhow. I've got spares but I've had this keyboard for at least 7 years. It's so old it's got a 5 pin DIN connector instead of a 6 pin mini-DIN (or USB). I love this keyboard (chorus: Then why don't you marry it! ) Even though it lacks all of today's surplurflous keys (it's pre win95) it's rock solid and my hands are used to the layout.
Old 13th April, 2002, 02:27 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Oh well. All things pass, even keyboards you love. But getting rid of the one's you hate is more difficult. Why is that?
Old 14th April, 2002, 12:48 AM

If it still does it on a fresh windows install then we know it has to be a hardware problem right?? So as far as i can see that leaves the keyboard, but that really doesnt make sence with it being linked to standby, so that leaves the mobo??? Could it be a bad PS2 controler or something. You have another computer you coud try that keyboard on?

Watercooled Barton 2500+ AGOIA-Y @ 2300 (11.5x200) 1.85v
Epox 8RDA
1gb OCZ PC3200, 2-2-2-6
eVGA Geforce 4 TI4400
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!