AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th July, 2008, 12:02 PM

Shuttle SD30G2 Plus… which 9600GT card?

I just bought a SD30G2 Plus shuttle and a Sparkle 9600GT. Without realising, the Sparkle heatsink and fan is HUGE and wont fit into the case. I’m going to take it back, but does anyone have a list of 9600GT cards (PCI-E) which will fit without modifying the case? Also, using these cards, do I need to upgrade the PSU? Is there enough power from the stock PSU?
Old 12th July, 2008, 08:03 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Bump, ladies and gentlemen.
Old 14th July, 2008, 08:49 AM

Disappointed nobody on here could help, but after speaking to members on another forum I got a XFX 9600GT and fits perfectly and runs fine. Deadly quiet and excellent performance... and no need to upgrade CPU
Old 14th July, 2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBaker View Post
Disappointed nobody on here could help, but after speaking to members on another forum I got a XFX 9600GT and fits perfectly and runs fine. Deadly quiet and excellent performance... and no need to upgrade CPU
Hey Rick!
Sorry, I was kinda busy this weekend (I'm sure I wasn't the only one) taking care of work that needed to be done around the house. Believe me I would have rather hung out here and answered posts instead!

Anyways, in general most of the new graphics cards demand a lot more power to be Stable and run your games like you want them to.
My view on this is, it's always better to have more power than you need than not have enough because your HW components will only use what power is needed.
Whereas if you don't have enough power this will make your whole system unstable and games crash all the time & can lead to damaging components.

I don't believe there is a single "Stock" Generic PSU that's installed on pre-built systems that really has enough power, much less "Clean" steady power to start adding HW components that demand even more power than what the PSU was designed to carry!
Most "Stock" PS units just barely have enough to get by with the standard factory installed components.
So I would say it would be a good idea to upgrade your PSU. This will insure good overall system's stability.
Make sure it's has no less than a 85% effeciency rating too as you don't want much Vdrop (Voltage Drop under load) because this too will cause all kinds of problems.

I hope for your sake that this "Stock" PSU manages to get by but I think over a short period of time, the extra demands put on it by the 9600 while gaming
is going to push it over the edge and I hope you have money to replace everything it might take with it when it goes...

I woundn't take this chance with the Generic 250w PSU that's in the Shuttle at all! You are really underpowering the 9600GT!
"The GeForce 9600GT power requirements is 400 W power unit with 26 A on the 12 v line" (This is the Minimum)
The maximum energy consumption for the GeForce 9600GT is equal to 95 W all by itself.

Personally I went 100w over the necessary power requirements for my system using 750w instead of 650w.
This insures stability as well as future upgrades on components that require more power...

I hope that explained enough to answer your question thoroughly.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 14th July, 2008 at 01:40 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th July, 2008, 04:09 PM

Thanks for your reply, very informative. I understand the situation with the PSU, but I've spoken and emailed staff at Shuttle and all have said the 9600GT will be fine to use with their 250w PSU in cases as standard. If it were to go, what do you mean by "whatever it takes with it". Could it "break" (sorry, not very technical) the other components as well? I assumed I would just replace the PSU if that occurred
Old 14th July, 2008, 10:23 PM
Member/Contributer

Sorry busy weekend (wasn't even near a computer), and busy day at work.

Could you post the specs of your CPU and how much RAM you have, also the number of HDD's etc.

"whatever it takes with it" actually means the PSU when it goes could also take out (break) anything connected to it, including but not limited to: CPU, GPU, RAM, MB, HDD, Optical drive.

Note 'when' not 'if'.
250W is most likely not anywhere near enough for your setup, unless the total draw of the rest of your components is under 100W max, and the 250W spec of that PSU is at a decent operating temp.

Most OEM's are just going to say 'yes' when you ask them something like that.

If you have say, 1x 9600GT, 1x HDD, 1x DVD, AMD 3000+, 2.512MB RAM, everything else onboard on the MB, I would suggest a 400W PSU or more, and not a generic brand.

Have a look at JonnyGURU.com - Power Supply Reviews and more! - News and expecially at the generic PSU testing he did, compare that with some of the other PSU's.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th July, 2008, 08:35 AM

I have a E440 Dual2Core CPU, 9600GT, 2 x 1GB RAM, 1 HD and 1 DVD-ROM. Onboard sound.
Old 15th July, 2008, 07:39 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

PSU options for Small Form Factor boxes are limited. But someone is building power supplies that will fit with a lot more oomph than stock, but I can't remember who. Sorry. Maybe I misunderstand that a SFF machine is in question, here?
Old 16th July, 2008, 12:58 AM
Member/Contributer

Unfortunately PSU options are limited.

You will most definately be wanting at bear minimum 400W of a decent brand.

Not sure what you can get for the shuttle, especially as PSU's in NZ are very limited.

Checking on their site I saw this:
Shuttle XPC Barebone

It looks like what you will be needing. Though I don't like the lack of specs they have on it.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H