AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th August, 2008, 06:31 PM

How do I enable PhysX?

I have a GeForce 8500 GT 512MB and just installed the new Nvidia 177.83 Drivers on my computer.

I also downloaded the Particle Fluid Demo and when I ran the application, the frame rate was very slow.

The Great Kulu demo ran very slow too.

Do I have to activate the PhysX drivers or is my video card simply not powerful enough?

Old 27th August, 2008, 08:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The support is enabled automatically, from what I gather; there is nothing special you have to do to enable it.

It is my understanding that enabling Physx processing won't actually increase your frame rate; in fact it might reduce it. What it DOES do is give you more 'eye candy'. However, as I don't own a video card capable of Physx processing, I can't make that statement with any authority.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th August, 2008, 03:57 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecartman View Post
I have a GeForce 8500 GT 512MB and just installed the new Nvidia 177.83 Drivers on my computer.

I also downloaded the Particle Fluid Demo and when I ran the application, the frame rate was very slow.

The Great Kulu demo ran very slow too.

Do I have to activate the PhysX drivers or is my video card simply not powerful enough?

The last sentence hit it dead on.
You have to have Both a fast and powerful graphics card & CPU to get the most out of the PhysX engine and not loose FPS.
The main reason though that your FPS is so slow with your card is it's not powerful at all by today's standards & only has a 128bit memory interface with 16 stream processors, so there's no way it can render that fast enough to have smooth playback.
Now a 8800GT 512mb / 112 stream processors card can easily and the prices for those are getting very low even for the best ones!

Gizmo is right on the PhysX. It automatically enables itself for anything that uses that engine such as the games and demos on that Nvidia Webpage where you get the drivers.

Even on my setup the Great Kulu pushed my system pretty hard just to keep it at around 30 FPS with all the "eye-candy" turn on at high resolution.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 28th August, 2008 at 04:13 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th September, 2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUff1N View Post
The last sentence hit it dead on.
You have to have Both a fast and powerful graphics card & CPU to get the most out of the PhysX engine and not loose FPS.
The main reason though that your FPS is so slow with your card is it's not powerful at all by today's standards & only has a 128bit memory interface with 16 stream processors, so there's no way it can render that fast enough to have smooth playback.
Now a 8800GT 512mb / 112 stream processors card can easily and the prices for those are getting very low even for the best ones!

Gizmo is right on the PhysX. It automatically enables itself for anything that uses that engine such as the games and demos on that Nvidia Webpage where you get the drivers.

Even on my setup the Great Kulu pushed my system pretty hard just to keep it at around 30 FPS with all the "eye-candy" turn on at high resolution.
Since I don't game, DVD play back tv-out is the most I use the graphics for, would I be better off w/o the PhysX drivers?

I saw on Nvidias site that CUDA is a seperate download of 3 apps. Do I need those or are they in my driver? [177.89]

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 28th September, 2008, 11:04 PM
AOA Staff

Have just installed these drivers and it is enabled by default.

Seems to work very nicely on my 8800 GTX.
Attached Thumbnails
How do I enable PhysX?-geforce_physx.png  
Old 29th September, 2008, 12:06 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok View Post
Have just installed these drivers and it is enabled by default.

Seems to work very nicely on my 8800 GTX.
And what exactly are "these" drivers?
PhysX stand alone drivers? (AOA files) or the Nvidia graphics drivers that have the PhysX drivers in the driver package?

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 29th September, 2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 29th September, 2008, 04:11 PM
AOA Staff

The drivers mentioned at the top of this thread.

Tags
physx