AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 2nd December, 2008, 07:51 AM
Steve Jobs

ASUS Xonar D2X SoundCard

The stereo out jack on my old sound card died (EMU card) so I went back to an X-Fi for a few weeks, only to put up with crackling during gaming.

Tried the onboard from the Rampage again and it didn't crackle, but did sound terrible.

So I figured I'd try something different. Purchased for AU$235 an ASUS Xonar D2X (PCI-Express).

Just had it installed about an hour ago but so far:

Linux support is perfect.
Windows drivers and utilities are excellent, far beyond the usual Creative bog-job.
Audio quality is sublime. Having had an EMU, I already had a very low opinion of the X-Fi's sound quality which was only made worse by the crackling noises while gaming and general poor driver quality. This card though, the Xonar D2X, is a step up again from the EMU, and wipes the floor with the X-Fi (genuine X-Fi, not a "extremegamer" one). Really is refreshing to see an alternative brand to Creative doing a good job competing and beating the dominant power.

The package is exceptional as well, with RMAA, Cakewalk, and every cable and adapter you could possibly want included.

Another nice feature: each of the jacks at the back shines a bright colored led out the back, so if you're looking for a jack behind your computer you run your finger over them, covering them up until you find the one you want. Its an excellent feature as well.

So far only gripes are small ones, such as the fact that its a big, full sized card (the size of a mid-range graphics card) but only uses a PCI-E 1X slot, so doesn't anchor much, and it does need an external power supply from a floppy connector.

But very much worth it to be honest. Very, very happy with the purchase. Top job ASUS did, as you would expect from any ASUS premium product.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd December, 2008, 07:52 AM
Steve Jobs

To add to this, running Sennheiser HD595 phones off it, which the X-Fi and onboard had trouble powering, the Xonar is handling them perfectly, no clipping or distortion.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd December, 2008, 02:06 PM
Steve Jobs

Another interesting quirk. It makes clicking noises when you change certain settings. When I say that, I don't mean clicking in audio, I mean the actual card itself goes click clack even with nothing plugged into it.

Was worried it was something arcing, and called ASUS. Person on the phone had no clue and passed me to a technical guy. He says "I wouldn't worry sir, that's just the relays switching".

I laughed and said "relays in a computer?"

He said, yeap. The Xonar D2X uses a series of high quality mechanical switching relays on the analog side.

That is something I've never heard of before on a soundcard. Its not quiet either, its as loud as an automotive relay. Only clicks when booting and then when changing major settings that you rarely do, but still interesting.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Last edited by dsio; 2nd December, 2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 2nd December, 2008, 07:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Let there be music, wonderful music!
Let there be price reductions on the card! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 3rd December, 2008, 09:37 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Relays don't tend to add any noise - whereas crosspoint switches (electronic switching) does add noise. Sounds like they spent some time and money on the card. How well does it fare in rightmark?
Old 3rd December, 2008, 10:10 AM
Steve Jobs

Rightmark results From Elitist Bastards: Elite Bastards - ASUS Xonar D2X sound card review
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Last edited by dsio; 3rd December, 2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 3rd December, 2008, 05:03 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Very nice! And here I was looking at an Maudio.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 4th December, 2008, 08:08 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

This card got my interest, but it's hella expensive to take home. Didn't think it would cost ~$165 US!
Old 4th December, 2008, 10:11 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Sounds like you get what you pay for with this card though George.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 5th December, 2008, 10:17 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If only that was true for more stuff that we need to buy. Hmm, wonder if it costs $152US(today's exchange rate) here? Thinking about it, Gawd I hate Creative.
Old 11th December, 2008, 11:52 PM

I bought one of these and I cant say how dissapointed i was, first of all the need for a power connector annoyed me as i like my case tidy and due to the modular psu i had the single floppy had a molex hanging off it so looks a pig, the performance like you say was stunning, unfortunately do to a couple of other hardware changes i had to remove the card a couple of times, the power connector on the board was so weak that after removing 3 times it refused to work, luckily i sent it back under 28 days and got refund, nice card shame the power connector was so tight

at least i got it for £55 which i thought was a good deal, but in reality was no better than my x-fi titanium pci-e card that didnt need a power connector

Last edited by bradmax57; 11th December, 2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12th December, 2008, 02:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to funnyperson1

If you want something cheaper, you can get the Xonar DX or D1, it uses the same audio chipset but cheaper analog components (116dB SnR front, 112SnR for the rest compared to 118dB for everything on the D2/D2X).

Also if you don't like the idea of the extra power connector, there are PCI versions, the D2 and D1 which do not require auxiliary power. The CMEDIA chipset is a native PCI chipset, I believe the extra power is needed to power the PCIE->PCI bridge on the D2X and DX cards.
2GB Crucial Ballistix 6400@ DDR2 1000 C5
Geforce 7900GS
2x160gig hdd with WinXP, Vista, and Ubuntu
member of FOLDING@HOME team 32
Latitude D620 with XP, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
Old 22nd January, 2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopsbroorecob View Post
Кто на ваш взгляд сейчас лучшие рок музыканты в России? Не в плане чартов и рейтингов естественно, а именно кто вам на самом деле больше всех нравиться?
Who in your opinion now the best fate musicians in Russia? Not by way of charts and ratings naturally namely who actually is most to like you

Usefull comment

Tags
sound card