AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th April, 2009, 07:12 AM

SLI Question

Whe i first got the EVGA 780i SLI, I heard something about if you only had one PCI=e card it had to go in the first slot.
The 790i came with aftermarket heatsinks that may be good but I had to reverse them and shoe horn them in with my CPU HSF. I wasn't real happy with the install but I was to busy to check everything and even Oc'ed the CPU and Gpu were running cool.
Yesterday I loaded everest and motherboard temp was 114c.
Everest didnt recoognise the board so i let it collect info and that might be where the temp comes from.
Any way, I've been working since 5 this am to get the two Active chipset coollers installed the way the are intended buy no one had ever seen my HSF before.. I'll posa couple of pics. But even with all that work, the only way I can make it work is go to the orribinal Chipset HSF, or put my 9800GT into the second PCI-e slot. It's to lat for me to tackel that problem-I've got a FX5200 PCI in in here now.
Any one know how to make a PCI-E card worke in the 2nd slot by it self?

The first is the oem chipset cooling system. The other two are aftermarket HSF directly for the chipsets, There are also 3 passive Heatsinks.

It all means I Can't jam it all into the space allowed and make it eeffective unless I can move the vid card to slot #2.
Attached Thumbnails
SLI Question-dcp_0001.jpg   SLI Question-dcp_0004.jpg   SLI Question-dcp_0015.jpg  

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Last edited by PorPorMe; 19th April, 2009 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Forgot the pics.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st April, 2009, 02:50 PM

Arrow

You can move your graphics card to the second slot & it should work BUT, it may run at half the bandwidth of the PCI-E bus.
x8 instead of x16.
You'll just have to put it in there & check to see what speed it's running at.
You can do that really quick using CPU-Z & click the Mainboard tab.
Attached Thumbnails
SLI Question-cpu-z-mainboard.jpg  

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 21st April, 2009 at 02:58 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st April, 2009, 03:41 PM

Thanks, Muffin. I went and found out that info and since I was tired of waiting ann I wes tired with the new mod as well, I tore it all down and put it bach in the box. I took off the aftermarket cooling system and what a surprise- It's junk. There is almost no quality at all.
Example: I was going to lap the Heat sink for the northbridge but when I pull it, they haven't even taken it past the rough machineing stage! The HS has machine markes that look like thr edge of a new dime. then they gave it a silver anadize and done!
This is Thermairight-to make it worse, I filed off the machine marks and it's copper underneath!
I'll go ck out this HR-05SLI/IFX when I gat a chane, but this unit eas crap!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD