AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th November, 2009, 10:10 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

AMD says Cypress GPU manufacturing delay in 7th week...

..And do you know what happened @ TSMC 7 weeks ago?

Do you know why you cannot find a Cypress-based ASIC in retail stores, "due to supply constraints"?

Someone took a trip to TSMC in person 7 weeks ago...

Who can tell me who that person is?

I thought I'd hunker down for a couple of months, dig deep INTO the story, expecting to get in up to my knees, at least.

Today, it's up to my neck...and the stench of the crap floating near my nose has made me dig OUT...

I'm seeing some pretty common names in the review circle, failing to review the 5970 with eyefinity, although they know cpu limitations prevent this ASIC from showing it's true power...but at the same time, this testing methodolgy shines a better light on the competition...

They've been overclocking too long...posting reviews with cpus @ 4.5ghz, cooled by water...

But why overclock your cpu, when it's impossible to get enough speed to accurately depict performance scaling?? E-Peen?

You know, my wife is chinese. So when the man in question answers some questions in Chinese, and he thinks the english-speaking world won't hear about it, he's wrong.

Who is this man? Or rather...mouse? Maybe the awful smell is coming form the cheese in his pocket...but alas, he opened his mouth, and the true source of the stench has become clear.

I'll be back with more...after the bilge pump finishes it's job...

Last edited by cadaveca; 24th November, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th November, 2009, 11:06 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

And thats why I love you!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th November, 2009, 07:36 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It's always special to get news from the front, thank you cadaveca! Now, if only I understood the dispatch!
Old 29th November, 2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
It's always special to get news from the front, thank you cadaveca! Now, if only I understood the dispatch!
Hey, dude! Good to see ya!

Yeah, I'm still as crazy as ever...but...

nVidia is stealing some FAB time from AMD now, and surprise! AMD is having big issues again.

Jen Hsun:

"Fermi is our first unified gpu!"

Welcome to DX10, nvidia!

"We have the web forums under wraps"

-read that as "we are paying people to bash the competition, even if it's lies!"

I read an interview in chinese the other day, and it got me going.

"We are a software company, that sells hardware."

Identity crysis much? lol.

"We created the GPU"

Huh?

Some peopel need to learn when to shut up. Me...I can spout drivel...I'm not doing it for money. Nor do I lie.

Take it easy, guys! Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving weekend, for those that celibrate!

Last edited by cadaveca; 29th November, 2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 29th November, 2009, 10:22 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Dang it, does AMD still have a foundry of its own? Did they sell Fab 30 in Dresden? Whatsamatta these people? Other outfit's CPU manufacturers don't owe you much, therefore how can you dictate their production schedules? Hell in a hand basket I tells ya.
Old 29th November, 2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Dang it, does AMD still have a foundry of its own? Did they sell Fab 30 in Dresden? Whatsamatta these people? Other outfit's CPU manufacturers don't owe you much, therefore how can you dictate their production schedules? Hell in a hand basket I tells ya.
I'm pretty sure they sold everything to Abu Dhabi.

I've been saying for years that ATI needed to pull it's products out of TSMC, and every year it gets worse...

But they'll be moving to Global Foundries(the new company that owns thier fabs) for gpu production soon enough...32nm, AFAIK.
Old 8th December, 2009, 07:59 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Interesting, Abu Dhabi and not Dubai. Looks like some of those Persian Gulf people are very smart. Hmm, Dubai gets to hold on to the buildings while creditors get squat. Won't it harm their credit rating? Of course, but do they really care?
Old 8th December, 2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Interesting, Abu Dhabi and not Dubai. Looks like some of those Persian Gulf people are very smart. Hmm, Dubai gets to hold on to the buildings while creditors get squat. Won't it harm their credit rating? Of course, but do they really care?

Bah, they aren't so smart...just someone finally listened to me...I mean, I've been saying for years that the money was in the foundries...my posts saying so are on here, even, years before anything actually took place. Mind you, I suppose they needed Hector to make it affordable for them....and that took some time.

Now, the question remains...what deal are we working on now? How are we gonna "shake things up"???

Last edited by cadaveca; 8th December, 2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 20th December, 2009, 09:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

So Hector moved to Global Foundries? And then he left? Mongo doesn't understand WTH is right with AMD.
Old 20th December, 2009, 10:33 PM

Well, I think the misconception that AMD bought ATI, rather than the truth, ATI took over AMD, confuses most. However, due to Intellectual Property liscencing agreements, the AMD name must remain.

Take a look at ATI 5 or more years ago...IP-holding company out-source producing hardware based on those IP.

Note the difference in AMD's business organization......IP-holding company in-house producing hardware based on those IP.

Now, today:

AMD: ...IP-holding company out-source producing hardware based on those IP.

You gotta love how the media spins things in whatever direction they seem prudent...whatever garners the most hits...and truth be damned. ATi did a hostile takeover of AMD, and noone knows.
Old 7th January, 2010, 10:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Well, I think the misconception that AMD bought ATI, rather than the truth, ATI took over AMD, confuses most. However, due to Intellectual Property liscencing agreements, the AMD name must remain.

Take a look at ATI 5 or more years ago...IP-holding company out-source producing hardware based on those IP.

Note the difference in AMD's business organization......IP-holding company in-house producing hardware based on those IP.

Now, today:

AMD: ...IP-holding company out-source producing hardware based on those IP.

You gotta love how the media spins things in whatever direction they seem prudent...whatever garners the most hits...and truth be damned. ATi did a hostile takeover of AMD, and noone knows.
I honestly had no idea, but that's not unusual!