AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th December, 2009, 12:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Audio Skipping/Stuttering

Hey all,
I've currently got a rather strange issue regarding Audio Stuttering. Basically, my setup is as follows;
C2D E8400 at 3.6Ghz
2x2GB OCZ Gold Edition DDR2 at 1066Mhz
Gainward GTX260 Factory-overclocked
Asus P5K-E WiFi/AP with latest BIOS

My drive setup is as follows;
2x 1TB Samsung HD1 7200RPM SATA-II drives in RAID0
1x 1TB Samsung HD1 7200RPM SATA-II drive NOT part of a RAID

On the RAID0, there's 2TB of total space, and it holds Windows (7 Ultimate x64) as well as the majority of my programs. On the non-RAID 1TB drive, well it's the drive i use to record fraps. The RAID main partition has a 256-512Mb pagefile. On the same physical RAID, there's a seperate partition of around 12GB, which is completely dedicated to a Pagefile (6GB - 12GB). There's also a 6-12GB pagefile on the single drive.

All drives in question are regularly cleaned up and defragged to the point i never see fragmentation above 10%, and never see extensive amounts of "unused" or temporary files. The registry is regularly cleaned and defragged.

The RAID drives are connected to the JMicron controller, with the single drive connected to the Intel controller (although i have changed which drive is on which controller in every possible combination).

The problem i have is that when i'm playing a game such as WoW or Modern Warfare 2 (or doing anything that uses the HDD to an extensive but non-constant amount), i get some really awful stuttering in audio, be it in Winamp, in-game sounds, or Ventrilo. Just earlier, i was mid game, and the stuttering was so bad, i was unable to hear what people were saying to me. The system didn't freeze up and the FPS was still constant, but the audio was almost non-existant.

Recently, i installed the audio drivers from Asus' site to no avail. I then went about uninstalling the JMicron Drivers from system and then downloaded the latest ones directly from the JMicron website. I've only just done this, so i can't confirm whether anything has changed or not just yet.

I'm just wondering if there's anything i might have missed. I've searched until my mind is numb and there doesn't seem to be any definate answer or solution, more anecdotes that don't really seem to work.

Could this be the Intel chipset drivers? The ones i installed were current at the time, but incidentally, it's only recently that this issue has really become noticable (i've always had the ocassional stutter when tabbing back into fullscreen games and such, but never to this point). The first thing i did when i noticed it was remove the Overclock, but this didn't change anything.

I was previously running W7 Ultimate on a non-raid setup with everything else the same, and had no issues, which leads me to believe it's actually an issue with RAID. The performance increase i get from using RAID (in gaming as well as video rendering) has been rather noticable and it's not something i'm prepared to drop. Indexing, themes and all other system-intensive services are disabled. Driver and core paging is set to "always stay in memory" and memory usage is set to prefer programs over system cache.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Scott.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th December, 2009, 07:29 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I take it it's onboard audio.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th December, 2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
I take it it's onboard audio.
It is.
I had considered buying a seperate soundcard, but never had the time or money to get around to it and since people who bought soundcards because of this issue still experienced it, i'd rather stick with onboard for now. Speaking of which, i'm not even sure what's the decent ones these days (I'm prepared to try x-fi again though).

Last edited by skool h8r; 24th December, 2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 25th December, 2009, 07:45 AM

Some good info here. Seems to suggest jmicron as the offender, or how windows uses the jmicron

Asus P5K-E Wifi/App Edition OnBoard Audio Stuttering - Asus - Motherboards-Memory
Old 17th January, 2010, 07:49 PM

Sorry it took me a while to get back to this, but this problem is still occuring. After further testing, it appears it only happens when World of Warcraft is running, and no other game or application.

I did read what ccperf721p, and it was something i'd read before it was posted here. I've gone around 51 pages into google looking for an anser, only to find nothing directly related to this issue.

However, this also only happens if WoW is on my RAID 0 drives, and not when it's on the single drive. As you can imagine, running it from the single drive increases load times for the game (rather significantly). However, even under very heavy load (Dalaran, a main city in WoW, and generally holds at least 150+ people in a small space throughout the day), it doesn't stutter when running from the single drive.

I've tried vice-versa; that is, running WoW from the RAID and Audio from the single drive, but that has the same issues.

Am i stuck with putting up with slower load times but good quality audio, or is there anyway of me to have both?

Last edited by skool h8r; 17th January, 2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 17th January, 2010, 08:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If you are getting stuttering when running off the RAID, I've got to suspect a problem with either the firmware or the drivers for the RAID controller. There's no reason, if things are functioning properly, that you should be seeing stuttering on the RAID when you aren't seeing stuttering on the single drive.