AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th May, 2013, 08:42 AM

Run into something odd with recent Radeon video cards!

When I do video benchmark testing, I normally start with my personal favorite 3DMark2001SE, and then progress through 3DMark06 -- perhaps one less or perhaps one or two more !

If you're familiar with the 3DMark2001SE test, around half-way, there are two passes with a Merry Go-round of dragons. The first (9/17) doesn't have any light sources and so the dragon illumination looks kinda flat. However, the second (10/17) has eight moving light sources and the dragons have bright reflections with my older video cards (9600, 9800) and also the 7750, but when I plug in a 5450 or 7770, that second pass with the eight roving lights shows flat looking dragons -- very little reflection.

Is there something wrong with some of these newer cards, I mean, shouldn't they all strive to reproduce the programmed effects? Do people (including the engineers) only care about the scores and not about the actual rendering? Or is it just that these individual newer cards did it right and the others were all wrong? What's going on here?
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2013, 10:18 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

you are using new hardware - working in other ways than old hardware and you can't expect it to be backwards compatible as it's not made for things that happened 10 years ago.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2013, 10:30 AM

Not sure on the truth of that (no good point of reference), but even if so, why would it be the 7750 and 7770 give entirely different visual results with that particular test?
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 29th May, 2013, 06:48 PM
AOA Staff

3DMark2001SE is for older cards of the generation around that time.
Old 29th May, 2013, 08:14 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

opengl 3dfx, glide, directx, 1,2,10,11,12...
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!