AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th May, 2002, 02:57 PM
Member/Contributer

Random mouse lockups in XP

After installing Windows XP, the mouse sometimes locks up for about 20 seconds or so. It will suddenly stop working, I can still see the cursor, but not move it around.

After waiting 10-20 seconds it goes back to normal for a couple of minutes, then hangs again.

Whats up? Could it be a driver problem? An OC problem? hmm..
The mouse is a rather old Logitech Mouseman, PS/2.
Old 14th May, 2002, 03:48 PM
Banned

I've actually had small instances of the same thing occurring. I'm still looking into why, it doesn't happen very often, but often enough I noticed...

Think it might have something to do with the pagefile, Norton Virusscan, Outlook express, or zonealarm.

Actually, since I stopped leaving Outlook express on 24/7, it seems to have gone away .
Old 15th May, 2002, 05:03 AM
Banned

Seems to have stopped once I stopped leaving Outlook Express open all the time. Think it has something to do with a combination of things running while Outlook Express is, but runs fine so long as I don't keep it on 24/7, so I check my email and close it, no biggie.
Old 15th May, 2002, 08:26 AM
Member/Contributer

The thing is, I don't use outlook! Because of viruses and such things, I have decided to stick to webmail for now.
Old 15th May, 2002, 09:03 AM
Member/Contributer

It still may be a process running in the background. I have had some of the same happening here. Not sure what it is but it seems like it is something to do with something hogging up resources to me.
----------------------------------------------

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th May, 2002, 11:03 AM
Member/Contributer

That might be it SM. I'll have to look it over in the weekend. Its just weird.
Old 15th May, 2002, 10:47 PM
Banned

Uh oh... I think I actually traces this to something with the new folding at home core...

I came home today to a windows XP general protection fault citing folding at home as the cause (specifically "core.exe") as the cause...

I hit okay and the core seemed to re-download automatically and restarted on a fresh WU. Now I'm on core 2.43
Old 25th May, 2002, 10:15 AM

I experienced a similiar thing when I had windows XP on. Except mine would completely hang the system whenever I opened a webpage, even a reinstall didnt cure.

It started when I installed my geforce 3. I had been running windows xp on my sis 735 on board agp for a week and it was very stable. When I installed my geforce 3 with latest detonators it just wouldnt load web pages.
Very starnge.
Old 27th May, 2002, 03:12 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by loop
I experienced a similiar thing when I had windows XP on. Except mine would completely hang the system whenever I opened a webpage, even a reinstall didnt cure.

It started when I installed my geforce 3. I had been running windows xp on my sis 735 on board agp for a week and it was very stable. When I installed my geforce 3 with latest detonators it just wouldnt load web pages.
Very starnge.
Hmm, perhaps I should change detonator drivers? Weirdest part is, it doesn't happend every time I use the computer...
Old 28th May, 2002, 05:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Sounds like it could have been an IRQ conflict.
Old 28th May, 2002, 07:39 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to TranceBear Send a message via AIM to TranceBear Send a message via Yahoo to TranceBear

I fixed my little mousey problem by turning off more than 2/3 of those pricesses that XP like to run in the background. Most of them can be safely shut off and your system will run much smoother.
Old 28th May, 2002, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by TranceBear
I fixed my little mousey problem by turning off more than 2/3 of those pricesses that XP like to run in the background. Most of them can be safely shut off and your system will run much smoother.
Think I cleared all mine, but I get this 15 second hesitation whenever I send emails (after the norton scan stops and I try to go back into outlook express). I think my problems have been different from Alan's though, and trance's advice is good as XP has some truly worthless processes running by default...

BTW, it was not folding that was causing my issues
Old 28th May, 2002, 07:36 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm no help with this problem, in XP. All I know is that my mouse pointer loves to freeze after "critical updates" from microshaft. Froze so well a few weeks ago that a wipe of C:/ and reinstallation of everything was the only path to follow. This is in SE, btw. And it happened again with the latest "criticality" from Redmond. Thank goodness that the mouse unfroze after three reboots! I reinstalled the Logitech driver. Fingers remain crossed.
Old 28th May, 2002, 09:55 PM

Quote:
the mouse sometimes locks up for about 20 seconds or so. It will suddenly stop working, I can still see the cursor, but not move it around.
Try this:

Using Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelMouse]
"SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00 ,a0,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,40,
01,00,00,00,00,00,00,80,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,05 ,00,00,00,00,00
"SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,66 ,a6,02,00,00,00,00,00,cd,4c,
05,00,00,00,00,00,a0,99,0a,00,00,00,00,00,38,33,15 ,00,00,00,00,

Look here for more related XP solutions. I find it very helpful!

HTH
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd June, 2002, 03:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

Don't know what slots you have used, but here's the layout of shared IRQ's...
You *Might* try swapping cards around a bit, just to see. Also, the Creative SB 5.1 has some real issues with Via boards, have you tried swapping sound cards?
And in the BIOS, do you have an option to disable USB Mouse Support and Keyboard support? Just a couple more things to try.

PCI Slot Use Notes
1 Not used for a board. shared with the AGP graphics board. USB cable/bracket assembly.
2 Not used. Shared with PCI-3.
3 Soundboard. The CD-ROM audio cable length is a factor.
4 MODEM. Can live with the USB controller.
5 Network Adapter. Has it's own IRQ.
6 Not used. Shared with PCI-4 and the USB controller. Physically shared with the ISA slot.

The AGP slot and PCI-1 share an IRQ
PCI-2 and PCI-3 share an IRQ
PCI-4, PCI-6, and USB controllers share an IRQ
PCI-5 has its own IRQ

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Old 5th June, 2002, 08:36 PM
Member/Contributer

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have disabled some of the useless (for me, anyway) processes that winXP is running. Mouse hasn't locked up for a while now, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

If the problem returns I'll try Uncle Bobs suggestion, but I'll leave it as is for now.

To Orbit: Thanks for your reply as well, but this ain't no VIA board. LONG LIVE THE BX!
Anyway, I only have a Live! card and a network adapter for now that uses PCI. Shouldn't be much of a problem, but you'll never know.

Thanks again all.