AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th May, 2002, 03:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

GF4 MX 440 or ATI 7500

I am looking for a new Card to replace my dated GF2 MX 400. I want to stay sub $100.00. This is a must. So the Ti is out of the question. I am a big nVidia fan. But I have heard that the ATI cards have a better quality display. Both of these cards can be had for about the same cash. So, I know the 440 blazes for a low end card. The 7500 beats the GF2 Ultra in benchies. Now comes the part where I ask all of my fellow PC nuts what do you think. Post some scores please and also your opinion on visual quality.

Thanks as always. And let's not be shy here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st May, 2002, 02:44 AM

It seems that there is not much to say here. I did finally find a review that compared these two cards. Seems the GF4 MX440 tromps the 7500. I am still not sure about visual quality.

I am still open to input here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st May, 2002, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Samuknow
It seems that there is not much to say here. I did finally find a review that compared these two cards. Seems the GF4 MX440 tromps the 7500. I am still not sure about visual quality.

I am still open to input here.
Kinda hard to say, they're both without the latest shading features (standard on the 8500 and GF3/GF4 Ti cards)... but, for pure horsepower, there would be nothing wrong with either I'd imagine, but in 3-6 months you'll probably have to upgrade... I'm guessing my GF4 Ti will last through year's end before I need to get another card....
Old 31st May, 2002, 09:44 PM

Thanks Pinky. Unfortunatly I have also come to that conclusion. The MX or 7500 just is not gonna do it.

I have been eyeing a good ole GF3. But again how long will this get me? Much better than my GF2 MX.

The GF4s are just a little out of my price range.
Old 1st June, 2002, 07:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Look around for a LeadTek GeForce3Ti200 with 128MB of RAM. It's hella nice! Look here, but that is WAY overpriced. Check on Pricewatch and Newegg, as they both have good priced cards.
Old 1st June, 2002, 02:36 PM

I have seen this card for a wide range of prices. This is basically an underclocked GF3 right? I can imagine it will overclock past the original GF3 spec.
Old 1st June, 2002, 09:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Quote:
I have seen this card for a wide range of prices. This is basically an underclocked GF3 right? I can imagine it will overclock past the original GF3 spec.
Yes, it's under clocked, with a under priced price tag. It can be easily OC’d to past the level of a regular GeForce3, and even faster then a GeForce3Ti500. But what makes it so cool is that it has 128MB of DDR, instead of the regular 64MB. That is what really makes the card fly. And at $125 a pop I think it's far better then a GeForce3Ti500 or a GeForce3 Original because it has 128MB of RAM!

BTW - What budget are you looking at? What is the max you want to spend?

Check out this image of the standard cooler from the MSI GeForce3Ti200 128MB - http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....127-036-03.JPG
Old 2nd June, 2002, 02:21 AM

Thanks. I found a 64 megger for 93 shipped. Is it really worth the extra coin for the extra ram. This was a Visiontek by the way.

Groovin, comes with ram sinks too. I like it, I like it.

Last edited by Samuknow; 2nd June, 2002 at 02:24 AM.
Old 8th June, 2002, 04:10 AM

Its worth the bragin' rights to have the extra RAM. And probably gives a higher 3DMark score...
Old 8th June, 2002, 04:24 AM

I saw a couple of 128 meggers for about 135 shipped. Do you really think it would be worth the extra coin?
Old 8th June, 2002, 04:24 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Thanks. I found a 64 megger for 93 shipped. Is it really worth the extra coin for the extra ram. This was a Visiontek by the way.

Groovin, comes with ram sinks too. I like it, I like it.
VisionTek's are VERY nice. If you get lucky, you'll get one like mine which will got to 225/535 no extra cooling.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 8th June, 2002, 05:25 AM
Banned

The extra RAM is only worth it if you're going to keep the card for a while. But I don't recommend that. if you can afford to, wait for the Ti4200 128MB GF4 to drop in price and get that in 1-2 months .

If you must have now, then get a 64MB if the price range is really that steep.
Old 11th June, 2002, 02:51 PM

What is the diff in a GF3 and a GF3 PRO? besides 120 bucks...

As I said I found a Visiontek GF# TI200 for 93 shipped. I think this is a great deal. Then iI see a GF3 Pro for 235. What the hey?

Pinky,

Do you really think the GF4 Ti cards are gonna drop that much in the next couple of months?

If so I might be able to wait. This GF2 MX is killing me though. At least with the GF3 I will get the cool shaders and DDR mem bandwith.
Old 11th June, 2002, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you really think the GF4 Ti cards are gonna drop that much in the next couple of months?

If so I might be able to wait. This GF2 MX is killing me though. At least with the GF3 I will get the cool shaders and DDR mem bandwith.
Yes, they will... Nvidia is already set to release the next generation of graphics cards, and can do it anytime after August!

At the time of release of the new cards, you'll see the GF4 prices drop to where the GF3 prices are today (and maybe even more since fewer people will be willing to upgrade that soon).

Maybe I was wrong to say 1-2 when it's closer to 2-3, but it's sooner than the last major release from nvidia.
Old 12th June, 2002, 05:05 AM

The diffrence of those cards is that the Ti200 is a little bit slower, but for the price, get it!

What will the new GeForce4's have that's so special?
Old 12th June, 2002, 08:33 AM
.:N2:.

the GF4 MX440 i have here is visually superb to the GF3 Ti200's i have.

if you can't afford a Ti-4200 for $150

get a GF4 MX440 or 460

i bought one to try it out, and it blows away anything i've seen 2D-wise.. and it got damn near 6000 3Dmarks pretty stock.

i have the Chaintech, would not hesitate to buy another, for any purpose.

ATI = teh suck
Old 12th June, 2002, 01:11 PM

are you telling me that a GF4 MX is better than a GF3?

The GF3 has the shaders and such. The MX does not.

Is it visually that much better?

What is the MO score difference?

Your getting 6000 on a GF 4 MX,

What's a score on a GF 3 TI 200?

What I know;
GF4 MX440 $75.00, No shaders, 6000 score

GF3 TI 200 $93.00 shipped, all the toys, ??????? score
Old 12th June, 2002, 02:26 PM
Banned

The ramdac in the GF4 looks good... the 2D quality of my visiontek GF3 was poor. The 2D of the PNY GF4 rivals the replaced Radeon, and the only reason I was willing to make the leap was because I had read nvidia fixed their poor 2D issues.

As for 3D performance, especially in the newer games and games to come, I'd never buy a GF4 MX.
Old 12th June, 2002, 03:18 PM

Ok Ok,

It looks LIke I will save up for GF4 TI 4200. I should be able to get the clock speeds up there.

Thanks Pinky.

I will have to live with the GF2 MX for a while longer.

I found a cool link that shows the exact differences between the GF3 cards and the GF4 MX card. Hey they even through in my old GF2 mx.

Here

Last edited by Samuknow; 12th June, 2002 at 04:43 PM.