AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

View Poll Results: What soundcard should I buy?
Audigy 1 12.50%
Sonicfury 3 37.50%
Other 2 25.00%
Stick with Cornflakes Box card for now, there's newer & funkier stuff not far off... 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th May, 2002, 09:44 PM

Creative Audigy Vs. Videologic Sonicfury

I'm thinking about a new soundcard, as I've got one from a cornflakes packet at the mo, -ECS based on OEM Cmedia Chip- and it's not cutting it sonically, and the drivers keep freezing the PC (Got it -nearly- free with my 5.1 speakers, so I can't complain as it replaced my old & slowly dying Aureal Vortex 2)

So far it's a toss-up between the Creative Audigy PCI, and the Videologic Sonicfury. The Sonicfury has the slight edge so far, because from the reviews I've read, it seems to be put together better than even some high-end cards costing £400+.

I'm open to ther ideas (probly to ~ £75) tho, it must meet the following specs:

*Must do 39MHz PCI (can crank my PC up to 1003MHz again),

*Have (3 separate) 5.1 direct connections on the rear, so I can connect it to the 5.1 ports on the rear of my Amp.

*A SPDIF would be nice as well -means I can record stuff to MD without first having to burn a CD.

*Be readilly available from usual online outlets in UK (dabs, etc.) so no "I got it from my local comp shop in Arkansas..."

BTW, pls state why you've voted the way you have. I need constructive advice, as well as votes,

Cheers.
Old 31st May, 2002, 09:52 AM
Member/Contributer

I've given this some thought. First we have the Creative:

Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum
Chipset: Creative Audigy
Wavetable: 64 HW voice - 1024 SW voice
Output: Supports 6 Speakers / Firewire
Digital In/Out: Yes/Yes

And then the Sonicfury
VideoLogic SonicFury
Chipset: Cirrus Logic Crystal 4630
Wavetable: 64 HW - 1024 SW
Output: Supports 4 speakers

Here in Denmark the Audigy costs 3 to 4 times more than the Videologic. I have no doubt that the Creative is a better card, but honestly I couldn't see myself spending so much on a sound card. My ears simply can't hear enough difference to justify me spending so much on this.

I would prolly rather go with one of Creatives cheaper cards, like a Live! card:

Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! Player 5.1
Chipset: EMU10K1
Wavetable: 64 HW Voices & 1024 SW Voices
Output: Supports 6 speakers

that costs less than the videologic.

SUM UP: Buy a cheaper creative card than the audigy. Just my 2 cents.
Old 31st May, 2002, 03:29 PM
Banned

Check for the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, I've had that card running 40mhz pci and I feel the actual sound reproduction and line ins are the best there is (very clean).
Old 31st May, 2002, 06:59 PM
.:N2:.

i've recently read that alot of ppl prefer the sound of the Vortex2 over SB Live cards. i know this does'nt say anything for the Audigy, however.. it seems the general consensus is that, as usual, Creative is using marketing hype to sell a $20 card for $100

apparently, these cards are doo doo.

i use a Hercules MUSE XL at the moment, which i'm happy with...
my speakers are Logitech Z-540's and they don't have digital-in.
so this card does all i need it to do for me.

however, i am looking for a deal on a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, cuz apparently... there is no better.

and again man, let me stress, what have you ever seen that was any good bearing the name Creative?
i rest my case.
Old 31st May, 2002, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by .:N2:.
and again man, let me stress, what have you ever seen that was any good bearing the name Creative?
i rest my case.
You're telling me, I spent $90 on a SB Live card a while back, the line ins were horrible!! all sorts of noise, not good for recording!!! Got the Turtle beach, not a single ounce of anything other than good, clean signal (in the exact same PC setup)

My creative DVD drive stunk, really... and when I tried to RMA/return it I had nothing but hassle from creative. Also, their tech support is a joke.
Old 1st June, 2002, 01:25 AM

FYI, from the Turtle beach website: ( http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/5852001.asp )

"SonicFury is the Santa Cruz branded name in the UK by Videologic and this
product is NOT supported by Turtle Beach."

Looks like Sonicfury for me, unless someone can come up with a better alternative.
Old 9th June, 2002, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
Check for the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, I've had that card running 40mhz pci and I feel the actual sound reproduction and line ins are the best there is (very clean).
Yeah!! Im looking to get a Turtle Beach too.

Hey pinks......how about driver support for the Turtle Beach?? Is it pretty ok???
Old 9th June, 2002, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by JayJay

Yeah!! Im looking to get a Turtle Beach too.

Hey pinks......how about driver support for the Turtle Beach?? Is it pretty ok???
No problems yet, haven't tried the latest driver (thanks for reminding me), but with the old drivers and XP I don't seem to be having any issues.
Old 9th June, 2002, 06:00 PM
.:N2:.

yea, you guys got me going now.
i need another card anyways, and i'd rather the resource-sucking hercules (which i dont think O/C's well) goes into a non-gaming rig.. for TV/MP3/DivX/DVD/etc...

in looking at all offerings, i seriously cannot find anything that beats the Santa Cruz. but honestly it's still a bit spendy.

i paid $20 for the MUSE XL and it does sound good...

i'm wondering bout the Phillips Accoustic Edge card now...

that ones middle-priced, what you guys say?

(at least to hold me till the SC drops in price somewhat)
Old 9th June, 2002, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by .:N2:.
i'm wondering bout the Phillips Accoustic Edge card now...

that ones middle-priced, what you guys say?

(at least to hold me till the SC drops in price somewhat)
Santa Cruz and Audigy ARE 'middle-priced' , there are much more expensive cards for multitracking/musical production... what you're referring to (say, under $50) are really "cheaper" cards (not to knock their ability to reproduce sound, but they are typically feature-less or have really poor effects, etc).

Like I have said a dozen times, when it comes to sound cards, you usually get what you pay for.