AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th June, 2002, 10:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to AvACore Send a message via MSN to AvACore Send a message via Yahoo to AvACore Send a message via Skype™ to AvACore

Question USB I/O Chip

I think this is the right place for this question, anyway. I was wondering if anybody here know where to find a USB I/O Chip, preferably 8-bits or more I/O, and a USB 2.0 HUB Chip????????

Last edited by AvACore; 18th June, 2002 at 01:06 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th June, 2002, 11:24 PM

Just the chip? I don't think you can. You'll probably have to buy a controler card for that.
Old 18th June, 2002, 03:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Yea you would need a PCI card with USB ports on it or something...
XP 1800+
[color]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th June, 2002, 10:14 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

When you say USB I/O controller, I'm not sure if you mean a USB host controller (the bus controller) or a USB device controller (a device). Did you want a USB or USB 2 device? Don't forget that if you're planning a device, you'll also need a vendor ID that can be used to ID your device to the controller

Most USB host controllers implement a PCI interface.

USB devices are byte orientated, which is why you'll find most devices have 8bit I/O. Given that even a simple microcontroller can keep up with USB's throughput, there's not much reason to move to a wider bus. Heck, even 8bit ISA is faster than USB!

USB 2 devices
NEC have devices like uPD720122. The uPD720122 supports both 8bit and 16bit wide busses, as well as some form of local bus.
Philips have their ISP1581, which supports 8 and 16bit CPU busses. It also supports DMA simultaniously using a split multiplexed bus.

Cyprus have the CY7C68013, which is an enhanced 8051. It's still an 8bit controller, but supports DMA rates of up to 96MB/sec.

As for USB 2 hub controllers, there are few out there.
NEC have their uPD720110A, which comes with default descriptors.

Good luck with whatever you're trying to do!

AidanII
Old 18th June, 2002, 01:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to AvACore Send a message via MSN to AvACore Send a message via Yahoo to AvACore Send a message via Skype™ to AvACore

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII
When you say USB I/O controller, I'm not sure if you mean a USB host controller (the bus controller) or a USB device controller (a device). Did you want a USB or USB 2 device?
I mean a device and preferably a USB 1.1 device (I don't need the extra bandwidth in USB 2.0). I'm kinda looking to control an LCD Display with it...

Happy Birthday Phiber

Last edited by AvACore; 18th June, 2002 at 01:08 PM.
Old 19th June, 2002, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AvACore
I mean a device and preferably a USB 1.1 device (I don't need the extra bandwidth in USB 2.0). I'm kinda looking to control an LCD Display with it...
Ok, this makes a lot more sense now! There's a number of microcontrollers with USB hardware onboard. This would allow the microcontroller to take care of all the pain in the backside stuff (data/address bus to LCD) whilst still communicating with the PC.

Gigatechnology do some stuff that might be of use (http://www.gigatechnology.com), as do FTDI (http://www.ftdichip.com)

If you're really looking for a USB to MCU, then there's practically hundreds out there. Most MCU manufacturers have added USB functionality to their product lines. (e.g. a number of USB hubs are just a 8051 in disguise.)

AidanII
Old 19th June, 2002, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the answer AidanII. I'll take a look at the 2 sites you mentioned and report back later. Thanks again

Last edited by AvACore; 19th June, 2002 at 09:10 PM.
Old 19th June, 2002, 09:10 PM

OK, I think I'm gonna go for the giga technology usbio24, Only problems now are 1. the price and 2. The availability in Denmark.

P.S. Guess who made the chip? http://www.gigatechnology.com/images/USBIO24.jpg That's right FTDI.
Old 19th June, 2002, 11:19 PM

Try http://www.lawicel.com/ftdi/ for an FTDI distributor who deals with Denmark. Yes, they're actually in Sweden, but...

AidanII