AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th June, 2002, 11:24 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Angry #%$&ing Geforce 4!

I treated myself to a gainward GF4 Ti4200 card. Thought it'd be an improvement over the old GF2MX card I have. Boy was I wrong!

The problem:

The card seems to pass DX7 tests fine. Try to run a DX8 test using DXDiag, and the result is...
"Direct3D test results: Failure at step 5 (GetDeviceCaps): HRESULT =0x8876086a (3D not available)"

Last time I checked, the 3D card did indeed have 3D. What the heck is going on?

Stats: Machine is a KT7 mobo, 1.3G Athlon, 512Mb RAM, Tekram SCSI controller and a bunch of drives. FSB is at stock speed. Windows 2000 Pro, DirectX8.1 installed.

Tried the driver that came with the card, the latest beta driver, and the current release driver (29.42). No joy with ANY of them.

Tried updating DirectX again to ensure no problems there. Same problem still!

Why is this occuring, and what's the fix?

AidanII
Old 20th June, 2002, 02:13 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I am looking at this card also. Hopefully you just got a dud....

Have you tried any games or 3d apps?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th June, 2002, 03:30 AM
Banned

Perform the standard reinstalls (again) in this order:

4-in-1 drivers (I think that Abit board uses them )
Directx 8.1
Video (29.42 or 28.90 work fine for me)
Sound

Then try and run 3dmark2001se, if it runs you're okay. If it doesn't report back what happens. Don't worry about dxdiag right now, I rarely look at that for answers.
Old 20th June, 2002, 04:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

hey ill trade it for my Geforce3 ti200 !!? (o/cs pretty nice too- 256/562 and 124mhz FSB all w/ stock cooling )
Old 20th June, 2002, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
Then try and run 3dmark2001se, if it runs you're okay. If it doesn't report back what happens. Don't worry about dxdiag right now, I rarely look at that for answers.
3dmark2001se comes back and says "Texture mapping not supported".

Comment from MadOnion on this... "This is a nasty little bugger that affects all your D3D content when run trough DX8.1."

Downloading the DirectX control panel applet, and then disabling and re-enabling Hardware Acceleration seems to have fixed this.

Ta for the pointers.

AidanII

Last edited by Áedán; 20th June, 2002 at 10:42 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th June, 2002, 11:01 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

I had this problem when I first installed WinXP. I had a GeForce2Ti for 2 days until I got my GeForce4Ti4400 (They ran out!) What I had to do to make DirectX 8.x work was re-install WinXP. I hope you don't have to do that, but that's the only thing that worked for me. Including sitting on Tech Support with PNY for a hour
Old 20th June, 2002, 01:22 PM

It would appear that somewhere DirectX gets confused and writes out an incorrect registry setting. The results of this are that DirectX 8 applications have hardware acceleration disabled.

DirectX 7/5 applications seem to be unaffected by this incorrect registry setting.

Disabling hardware acceleration and then re-enabling hardware acceleration appears to re-write the DirectX 5/7/8 entries to bring them back into sync.

Having said all that, 3dMark2001SE locked up on me doing "game 1", but run "game 4" with no problem. Go figure! I'll see how Morrowind/EQ go when I get home agian.

AidanII
Old 20th June, 2002, 03:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I saw something on this b4. Did you have to DL a dll file and set it up. Just curious if you could explain what you did.

Thanks
Old 20th June, 2002, 04:09 PM
Banned

Had the same issue with 3dMark recently on a friend's machine, reinstalled 4-in-1 drivers and all was well.
Old 20th June, 2002, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Samuknow
I saw something on this b4. Did you have to DL a dll file and set it up. Just curious if you could explain what you did.
Ok. There is a DirectX control panel applet that allows you to disable and enable hardware acceleration. You place the .CPL file in your windows\system directory (or winnt\system32), then disable hardware acceleration, then enable hardware acceleration. I've uploaded it to AOAFiles, so it should show up soon.

AidanII