AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th July, 2002, 01:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Re: Re: Re: DX9 to call for 128bit color rendering!?!

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Perhaps M$ plans on building hardware that taps directly in to the optic nerve in the near future If they can attatch a rat's eye balls to it's auditory nerves, then attatching a display to the optic nerve must be right around the corner

Of course these rumors I've been reading about 128bit color could be total B.S., I wasn't really buying totally in to it which is why I posted this thread after all (note the "!?!" in the title).
and while there at it they'll send images and thoughts from your brain to ms to cut down on piracy!
Old 19th July, 2002, 11:17 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Basically it means that when they put more than one texture on a polygon, it'll look a tiny bit better.

When they put more than four textures on a polygon it'll look slightly better...

When they put more than 10 textures on a polygon, it'll be noticable.

I think that we're going to see cards that can support larger numbers of textures on a polygon before too long... Wonder what's in the up and coming chips? This looks like a big hint.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what benefit it will really have for a consumer... Does applying more than 4 textures on a polygon really make it look that much better, or is this a "Must-Have" for the industry to sell more graphics cards/chips.

AidanII
Old 19th July, 2002, 11:20 AM

Ahhh, so the errors are reduced with multiple textures by using fp numbers, but the colour depth is still stuck in 32bit colour (or whatever you specify), right?
Old 19th July, 2002, 11:34 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamzter
Ahhh, so the errors are reduced with multiple textures by using fp numbers, but the colour depth is still stuck in 32bit colour (or whatever you specify), right?
As far as I understand, yup!

The more bits there are, the more textures can be overlaid without errors.

AidanII