AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th July, 2002, 03:57 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

What speakers?

I'm looking to upgrade some of my speakers to something a little bit better.

I'm tempted to buy a couple of pairs of Mordaunt-Short MS-302 speakers as satellites, and a Mordaunt-Short MS-304C as the centre channel. Much though I like the look of the 900 series, I can't afford it! The 300 series are magnetically shielded, unlike my current set!

On the other hand, I'm tempted to pick up a pair of Whafedale PPS1 speakers for the rear channel, and use the MS-302 just for the front channels. At least with the PPS1 speakers, I can put 'em up on the wall and have them stealthed.

Lastly, the setup will be driven by a Sherwood RD610? - I'll double check the model when I get home.

Any suggestions, or comments?

AidanII
Old 17th July, 2002, 04:54 PM
Banned

I am going to be VERY unpopular for suggesting this, (so get the flame-throwers ready), but why spend so much on "decent' equipment? If you're going for "decent" then just go with a SONY setup (most of mine is and it truly sounds incredible).

I would also suggest NOT going with small fronts, I did and had to later upgrade to a pair of tower speakers as the subwoofer and smaller front speakers just could generate a smooth and responsive sound (like drum rolls, they sounded very flat).
Old 17th July, 2002, 06:12 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Sony are vastly overrated.

The problem with towers is the complete lack of space for them. The small fronts are a compromise in order for me to have space to live.

AidanII