AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th July, 2002, 10:33 AM

what graphics drivers to use?

hi there

i justed wondered what drivers might be better to use for my hercules 3d prophet 4500.
now i use the original drivers from hercules but i found out that there are reference drivers from powervr available.

what drivers are in general better?
what is the difference between the two?

thanks

my system:

epox 83ka
amd xp1800+
512mb ddr ram
hercules 3d prophet 4500
windows 98se
Old 18th July, 2002, 10:24 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, rafbob! I don't know if your Hercules-built Vidcard departs from STMicro's reference design. If it doesn't, both drivers should be nearly identical. If Hercules changed the board's components in aid of getting better performance than the reference design, Guillemot/Hercule's driver is definitely better.

If a driver works just fine I'm hesitant to change it, personally speaking. While "you gotta have the latest driver for component X" is often true, sometimes the latest driver will really upset the apple cart.
Old 19th July, 2002, 02:54 AM
Banned

This might be useful.
Old 19th July, 2002, 10:50 AM

I always prefer to install the drivers from the manufacturer of the card NOT from the manufacturer of the chipset
Old 19th July, 2002, 01:07 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by JayJay
I always prefer to install the drivers from the manufacturer of the card NOT from the manufacturer of the chipset
I like to do exactly the opposite!
Old 19th July, 2002, 04:32 PM

Well, in the end of the day, it is really up to the person though.
Old 19th July, 2002, 07:23 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by JayJay
Well, in the end of the day, it is really up to the person though.
I've come across cards, where if you install the driver written by the chipset manufacturer, things go horribly wrong. Horribly wrong varies from simply not driving the device to locking up the PC.

On the other hand, I've come across plenty of cards where it makes no odds, other than perhaps a few company logos.

AidanII