AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd August, 2002, 06:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

Sound "squelch" when I scroll?

I am using a Via Epia Mini-ITX form factor motherboard with the onbaord AC97 sound.

When I scroll in IE or use the scroll wheel in IE it makes a horrile noise. I have tried all matter of drivers.

When I first boot up it's strangley fine - it seems to build up over time.

I'm considering a new install. Any ideas?
Old 2nd August, 2002, 06:54 AM

oh, apprantly it'snot integrated into teh north bridge, but has its own chip.
Old 2nd August, 2002, 11:20 AM

What type of mouse is it? Have you tried a different one?
Old 2nd August, 2002, 06:52 PM

It's a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer I think. The mouse works fine on oher computers.

I'm wondering if it's the fact there is only 128mb of memeory and the reason it starts LATER is the fact the memory slowly gets used up?
Old 2nd August, 2002, 11:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Get more ram!!!!!
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd August, 2002, 02:00 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The nerve! Stuff like this happens to your brand new miniature(yet it's the real deal) PC?!

I hope more RAM is the answer. Does that puppy give you more than one slot for memory?
Old 3rd August, 2002, 02:03 AM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

I'm not at all familiar with that board, so this could be entirely useless, but if it has a VIA chipset, the 4in1 drivers from 4.29 and up should fix that. I had the same issues under Win2K. It'll likely make that squelch with any mouse you plug into it.
Old 4th August, 2002, 01:18 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Please pardon the pedantic blah blah. "Squelch" refers to an adjustment that's available for communication radio's, such as CB.

It sets a threshold that must be exceeded by incoming signals. If the signal isn't strong enough to "break squelch" you won't hear it. While you might miss one in twenty transmissions, you'll be spared the tedium of listening to the hash and garbage that always make listening for a transmission a tiring and annoying experience.

I don't think that you set the squelch level with a knob anymore. It's automatic, AFAIK.
Old 4th August, 2002, 06:03 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Please pardon the pedantic blah blah. "Squelch" refers to an adjustment that's available for communication radio's, such as CB.

It sets a threshold that must be exceeded by incoming signals. If the signal isn't strong enough to "break squelch" you won't hear it. While you might miss one in twenty transmissions, you'll be spared the tedium of listening to the hash and garbage that always make listening for a transmission a tiring and annoying experience.

I don't think that you set the squelch level with a knob anymore. It's automatic, AFAIK.
Some equipment has auto squelch but in my experence it dosen't work that well unless it is in a motorola handheld. But some of the makers are including a true rf type squelch that is just plain awesome. Does'nt cause that common clipping sound associated with traditional squelch.
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!