AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th August, 2002, 07:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

DigiCams

I am looking for a good quality digital camera in the $200-350 range (Cheaper price is better, if picture quality is good...)

Anyone have any ideas of one? What do you all use that is cheap, and has good quality?
Old 5th August, 2002, 07:28 PM
Banned

Re: DigiCams

Quote:
Originally posted by SiGmA_X
What do you all use that is cheap, and has good quality?
You just want it all, don't you!?
Old 5th August, 2002, 07:32 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Personally, I use an Olypmus C3030Z. They don't make it, so the closest to that is the C3000. Not cheap though.

AidanII
Old 5th August, 2002, 08:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Pinky ~ Yeah, I want something that is good, and is also not too highly priced...

AidanII ~ Any $300 (approx) recomendations?
Old 6th August, 2002, 04:29 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Hi Sigma

First two have some links to sub $300

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/digital...9002703,00.htm

http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...7-4875918.html

This has got some info on how to choose whats right for you

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS/HOWBIG/HOWBIG.HTM
Old 11th August, 2002, 10:04 PM

Thank you.
Old 11th August, 2002, 10:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

http://www.cameradealz.com/old4digcamd41.html

i have this camera, its great, tough (but keep it away from sand ) has features, and enough pixels to boot :-D
(i wouldnt nessecarily buy from this link, theyre just the first to come up on google)
Old 12th August, 2002, 11:38 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I have a Canon S100 which has been very good for me. I think they upgraded a couple of things and it's now called the S200. It's around $300-$350. The best thing about it is its size. it's a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes. It's no big deal to take it around everywhere. You know what they say, a camera you don't carry with you doesn't take any pictures.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th August, 2002, 12:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

"A camera that cant bee see cant be stolen :-D"
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th August, 2002, 01:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

Quote:
Personally, I use an Olypmus C3030Z. They don't make it, so the closest to that is the C3000. Not cheap though.
The C-3030Z is a great cam...no longer in production though. C-3000 isn't either. I use the C-4040. Pretty pricey unit though. Average street price new is just over $550, though you can get a Class A refurb for about $100 less. (Class A's have had no damage to repair, they are overstock sold at discount)

You could go with an Olympus D-520 (2.0MP) or D-550 3.0MP). Both are Auto Connect USB so there's no need for Twain or installing USB drivers if you have WinMe or higher. Both will print a sweet 8x10 easy too.

If you've got $300 - $350 to spend, why not finance or use a CC to get a better model? You could get a C-4040 (4.1MP) and have a sweet digi for several years to come. If it's a bit too pricey yet, maybe the D-520's right for you.
Old 13th August, 2002, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mookydooky
I have a Canon S100 which has been very good for me. I think they upgraded a couple of things and it's now called the S200. It's around $300-$350. The best thing about it is its size. it's a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes. It's no big deal to take it around everywhere. You know what they say, a camera you don't carry with you doesn't take any pictures.
I think that this is the cam I'm going to get. THG gave it a good rating, and their sample pictures looked great Thx all!
Old 13th August, 2002, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by unclemojo

The C-3030Z is a great cam...no longer in production though. C-3000 isn't either. I use the C-4040. Pretty pricey unit though. Average street price new is just over $550, though you can get a Class A refurb for about $100 less. (Class A's have had no damage to repair, they are overstock sold at discount)

You could go with an Olympus D-520 (2.0MP) or D-550 3.0MP). Both are Auto Connect USB so there's no need for Twain or installing USB drivers if you have WinMe or higher. Both will print a sweet 8x10 easy too.

If you've got $300 - $350 to spend, why not finance or use a CC to get a better model? You could get a C-4040 (4.1MP) and have a sweet digi for several years to come. If it's a bit too pricey yet, maybe the D-520's right for you.
Can I get a 'Class A' referb from Canon?
Old 13th August, 2002, 03:52 AM

Best way to see if you can is check the Canon site for refurbs they have for sale then email them and ask what class they are. It's a biot of a tedious task, but can save you some loot in the end.

In all honesty, I get to test a LOT of digi cams where I work, and the Canon is slim pickins to the D-550Z. I like Canon, but they seem to struggle when it comes to lens clarity. Lots of sun flare and washed out images. I'm not sure which models, but some of the low end Canons use a plastic lens also. Make sure you get glass. If it has a purple hue on it, even better. Thats an IR filter on the lens to prevent washout and give true color. Are you 'into' photography where aperture, f-stop and shutter speeds are a concern?

Another thing to look at is if the CCD is the 'effective megapixel' or enhanced megapixel. Kodak cams up to the 3.3MP cameras all use a 1.3MP CCD with software enhancement to blow up the images. Just a few pointers. If I were to get a Canon, it'd be an elf. Great pics from a teeeny cam.
Old 28th August, 2002, 02:46 AM

Okay, I found the cam that I want:
MINOLTA DIMAGE X DIGITAL CAMERA
$238 USD + S&H

Now either I need to buy it with my money, or convince Dad that I need it... We, my bad His digicam is a 1MP mini-DV digital video cam, that can't do ***** for stills
Old 28th August, 2002, 04:03 AM

Look at the D-510 model... $220
It's a Class A refurb. I can attest to this camera being a damn good one for the money. I use one every day. You have to look feature wise at a cam. This one doesn't have any webcam ability, but has a optical and digi zoom, can take movies with sound, and is overall a slick digi..check it out at least.....

D-510
Old 28th August, 2002, 04:29 AM

Nice, but it doesn't look as good, and isn't as small... I think I'm going to get the Dimage X THG said some good things about them, and I have heard other good things about them from people...
Old 28th August, 2002, 03:32 PM

Just friendly advice. I hope the cam works out well for you I'm more concerned with image quality and features than how the cam looks. I have a big bulky C-4040. 4.1MP takes a sweet pic tho