AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th August, 2002, 02:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

RMA IBM HDD's

Anyone know where the RMA form on the IBM site is? Thx!
Old 28th August, 2002, 04:40 AM
Banned

Last time a friend had to RMA his, he called and they required he run the IBM diagnostics and give him the result code from the test before they would even issue a RMA.
Old 28th August, 2002, 09:39 AM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

It's easier if you go through teh company you bought the drive rahter than IBM themselves.
Old 28th August, 2002, 03:20 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Spode
It's easier if you go through teh company you bought the drive rahter than IBM themselves.
Definitely..
I went through IBM like a moron... I had to run the test, get the error code, tell the support guy, RMA the drive and wait 3weeks for a stinking refurb replacement. They wouldn't even let me pay to cross ship to speed things up a bit.

I originally bought it from Newegg. If I RMA'd through them, I probably could have had a replacement in a few days... and I might have gotten a new replacement.
Old 28th August, 2002, 06:54 PM
Banned

I have 2 IBM 60GXP drives right now, 40 and 60gb, and they run fine. But these are the last, I refuse to deal with IBM in the future. When these die, I'll get my replacement, sell them, and in the meantime buy new WD or Matrox drives.
Old 28th August, 2002, 09:20 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

AFAIK, Fujitsu bought/are buying a decent chunk of IBM's IDE HDD unit. Perhaps it's all of IBM's HDD operation, I rarely read the WSJ.

I HOPE this means that Fujitsu carefully examines IBM's GXP designs, manufacturing and materials. THEN corrects what must be the glaring deficiencies, at least to engineer's. The HDD business is now very tough, with little room for profit.

IMHO, IBM simply cut five cents here and three cents there out of it's manufacturing costs to maximize profit. And went overboard, two cents here and a penny there. Then knowingly marketed these defective drives--at premium prices. Riding on the excellent reputation that its IDE HDD's garnered over their ~two prior years of superior performance.

Just another tale of corporate dishonesty. Ho hum.

Fujitsu was an unknown name in the US, as far as hard drives were concerned, AFAIK. The hand's on reports I heard about their HDD's were excellent.
Old 3rd September, 2002, 09:13 AM

I had to RMA a drive from IBM. The drive itself packed in completely so I told the guy on the IBM callcentre (In Ireland so I couldn't understand what he was saying) and he said I didnt have to run the tests. I just mailed it back to them with the RMA (Had to send it to the Netherlands). Waited about a month and the replacement came back.
Old 3rd September, 2002, 11:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Well, I think the problem might not be a dead harddrive, after all! See, I was trying to copy the files on to another one of my HDD's, and it was all going fine (The IBM had been in the freezer for a week... ) and then it hit a certain song in the MP3's folder... That's when it started making bad noises, and started acting up... So I said "Screw it, I don't need that song! Hell Scott has them all and he's right here anyways.."

So I reformated the drive, and it all seems to be working fine, even if it is running a bit hotter... But it is a hell of a lot louder then my Seagates... Is that normal for Deskstars?
Old 4th September, 2002, 12:46 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I wish I could answer whether the GXP's are louder than the Barracuda IV's. I've used both HDD's, all I know is that the Seagate's are considerably cooler. My boxes make too much noise too hear any modern hard drive!
Old 4th September, 2002, 07:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Im not supprized- my 60gig ibm runs like 2x hotter then my seagate 80gig-- did it stop making that noise???
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!