AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/32-graphics-sound-cards-speakers-other-peripherals/)
-   -   Seeking Video Card knowledge (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/graphics-sound-cards-speakers-other-peripherals/2144-seeking-video-card-knowledge.html)

nugget16 3rd January, 2002 05:17 AM

Seeking Video Card knowledge

whats the reason when you leave Return to Castle Wolf (or any graphic intense game) and go back to Windows xp, that the screen goes black, then you receive your icons, then its adds some color to the screen , then your background comes in, all with your HD screaming in the background. Some games pop you right into you normal desktop display at one time. Is it lack of system memory, video memory or ? Just trying to gain some knowledge. can never get too much...

Superman 3rd January, 2002 12:54 PM

I noticed that too. But it's quite inconsistant on my computer. Sometimes it'll do that for like 10 seconds and sometimes it'll just kick me out to a perfect desktop. Anyone wanna enlighten us? :p

Pinky 3rd January, 2002 06:09 PM

Games seize the computer's resources, so sometimes it gives those resources back to windows gracefully and sometimes not...

Details, hell you got me... I still think the things run on that magic smoke William's always referring to. ;)

eobard 3rd January, 2002 07:02 PM

Maybe it's screen resolution. If your desktop is set to 800 by 600 and you play a game at 640 by 480 then maybe the delay is because the system is resizing everything.

Super 3rd January, 2002 07:49 PM

I would agree with Pinky. I think while getting back to windows, its clearing up the ram and other stuff from the game, and at the same time displaying windows desktop. CPU can do one thing at a time, but it does it really fast. Since it has many things to do, its slowing down....

jay 4th January, 2002 05:24 AM

and that you are video card is changing modes, from OpenGL back to normal windows... Then the Video card has to re-initilize itself

Superman 4th January, 2002 01:01 PM

And that, on my computer at least, Wolf takes up 97% resources :p

Pinky 4th January, 2002 03:11 PM

It's probably a combination of all these explanations :p

Open GL/video to desktop.
Resolutions changing.
Game releasing system resources.
Windows environment reinitializing.

martin 6th January, 2002 06:15 AM

Oh yeah...

I find it very interesting though that you can go from a major 3D game and back to windows over and over at least 10 times in a row and the 'return to desktop' can be 10 different time lengths. When you close that wonderful game you are playing you find that the time it takes to get back to your desktop is so varied and there is really no constants at all no matter how many times you do that. I believe Pinky is close to the answer when he mentions it's a combination of all things brought up in this thread, your system's resources and settings can be all over the place and since nothing is perfect in an imperfect situation such as computers, even a fast(powerful) one needs a bit of time to return to "idle".

Aedan 6th January, 2002 10:44 PM

Re: Seeking Video Card knowledge

Quote:

Originally posted by nugget16
whats the reason when you leave Return to Castle Wolf (or any graphic intense game) and go back to Windows xp, that the screen goes black, then you receive your icons, then its adds some color to the screen , then your background comes in, all with your HD screaming in the background. Some games pop you right into you normal desktop display at one time. Is it lack of system memory, video memory or ? Just trying to gain some knowledge. can never get too much...
The biggest hint in this is "your HD screaming in the background". This means that most of your normal Windows stuff is sitting out on your swap file. When you drop back to the desktop, the kernel has to page all that stuff back into memory again for it to be able to finish redrawing your desktop, and for you to continue doing your normal activities. It generally indicates that you've not quite got enough system memory.

If you want to find out, start whatever XP's version of performance manager is, and leave it monitoring RAM usage and swap file usage.

AidanII

robbie 8th January, 2002 07:17 AM

Re: Re: Seeking Video Card knowledge

Quote:

Originally posted by AidanII

It generally indicates that you've not quite got enough system memory.

If you want to find out, start whatever XP's version of performance manager is, and leave it monitoring RAM usage and swap file usage.

AidanII

I was thinking of something to that effect.

So how much memory do you guys have that are having this prob?

Rob

nugget16 8th January, 2002 05:03 PM

I just added another 256 module of memory, bringing the total up to 512, and it now pops right out of Wolfenstein to my Desktop.
Thanks for all the good info.:)

Pinky 8th January, 2002 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nugget16
I just added another 256 module of memory, bringing the total up to 512, and it now pops right out of Wolfenstein to my Desktop.
Thanks for all the good info.:)

That's awesome troubleshooting Adian, I completely missed that harddrive observation :)

Glad that worked.

I have 512MB but still have some pause when exitting a game, but come to think of it, it's much less that when I only had 256 RAM.

jay 9th January, 2002 06:51 AM

i got 576 and still get that pause.
How much RAM do you need?

I think it is unavoidable, windows likes to use the page file...
and page whatever data in RAM it is not using.