AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/32-graphics-sound-cards-speakers-other-peripherals/)
-   -   possible sound issue (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/graphics-sound-cards-speakers-other-peripherals/30458-possible-sound-issue.html)

HauZDauG 11th April, 2005 12:36 AM

possible sound issue

im not sure exactly where i should post about this issue so i will just post it here

I just got a this new DFI board and a New SATA HD this weekend .... eveything seems to be doing fine except for this 1 issue.

Whenever my SATA drive is being accessed or has any activity , i can hear it through my sound as a static type of gurgle sound and it is very annoying. It isnt real loud but it is very noticeable.
I have tried the sound card in 3 different PCI slots but this hasnt helped so far . I also have the lastest drivers for the card and everything as well

I just thought of somthing as i am typing this post and i think i might try this next ..... when i installed the Nforce unifed drivers, I DID install the IDE SW driver. i dont know if i was suppose to or not with this new SATA HD but im thinking this could be worth a try to uninstall it ...
If anyone can think of anything else i would really appreciate the help please , as this is the only issue i am having with my setup.

Thanks for your time

P.S. sorry if i posted this in the wrong place

dsio 11th April, 2005 12:40 AM

just out of curiousity, you have disabled onboard sound havn't you?
and generally speaking, the ideal slot for the sound card is slot 5. Slot 5 is occupied by the onboard sound card until you disable it, then you put your aftermarket sound card in its place.

Also what sound card is it, and are you using latest drivers?

HauZDauG 11th April, 2005 01:33 AM

I currently have my onboard sound disabled .... the card is in PCI slot 5 as we speak and the card is the SB audigy 2 ZS gamer with the latest drivers

HauZDauG 11th April, 2005 01:07 PM

this is really annoying ... i can figure out what the problem is .... i have tried uninstalling nforce IDE driver .... i have tried moving the SATA cable to a diff SATA port and it still does it ...
whenever i use the scroll wheel on my mouse it even makes the noise as i scroll . Whenever i load a webpage it makes a screaching noise that sounds just like taking the needle of a record player and scratching on the record.
if the webpage has any animated graphics it makes the sound as the graphics are moving. I cant even play a video anymore because that uses the HD and the sound is constant
I would really like to figure out this problem so i dont have to send this Mobo back. Plz help :(

dsio 11th April, 2005 01:18 PM

OK, you need to start a process of elimination.

A good start would be the sound card. Run it in another machine and see if it has the same problem. If it doesnt, than you at least know the sound card is OK.

As for eliminating the motherboard, stick a different sound card in it and see if you get the same results. If you dont have any sound card handy, enable onboard sound and see if it still screws up. If it does, RMA away.

How does that sound for a starting point?

btw sorry for not getting back to you.

HauZDauG 11th April, 2005 03:25 PM

i uninstalled my Audigy card and took it out ... i then enabled onboard sound and booted to windows to begin to install it ... i already had the speakers plugged in and the onbaord sound did the same thing but even worse ... the sound was much louder and sorta high pitched

HauZDauG 11th April, 2005 04:04 PM

ok im gettin somewhere now i think!! what i basically did is unplug my speakers from the card and just striaght plugged my headphones into the card and im not getting that noise now!! .... i guess maybe a speaker problem????? ill check all the connections to the speakers and stuff

dsio 12th April, 2005 01:55 AM

The best thing to do when you have a problem like this is to rule parts out rather than RMA straight away. Hopefully its just a bad connection between your sound card and amp.