AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th October, 2002, 10:26 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

Question wanting to overclock a p2 233 (mmx)

hi.

a few days ago i got a cheap computer from a liquidation sale,
its got a p2 233mhz mmx processor.

i have been searching the web for the past 3 hours now, so far ive managed to overclock the gfx card but im not having much luck on how to overclock the cpu. theres a lot of mentionings about fsb and such like but im not havin much luck. the sfb tools in another thread seem to be for mobos that are too new for this one :/

its a pretty old processor, and im not looking to get great performance out of it.. maybe get it up to 300 - 350mhz.

cant seem to find anything useful in the bios .

ne1 plz help
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th October, 2002, 11:00 PM

If I remember correctly, most boards that old didn't have BIOS options for FSB and multiplier controll. All that was set with jumpers on the actual motherboard. If you can find out what mobo you have in there, do a google search (and a seach on the manufactuer's web site) and see if you can find any jumper setting info.

If you're lucky though, the information may just be printed onto the motherboard! Both of my P1 systems have a refrence saying something like "JPX: 1-2: 66MHz, 2-3: 60MHz". But it's not too common from what I've heard....

JigPu
Old 18th October, 2002, 11:24 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

intel AL440 LX only distinguishing marks i can see on there :/

but it does support my old 64MB gf2 mx400. which i have overclocked cant seem to find these

i have d/l a new bios thingy from intel but im not sure it will do me any good :/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2002, 12:31 AM
Member/Contributer

Red face i would have edited but theres a silly timelimit

Processor speed is set using the system configuration jumper (J8B2) to access maintenance mode

i dont know how to get to the system configuration jumper to acess maintenance mode :/

:nervous:
Old 19th October, 2002, 01:30 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Welcome piccoLEW,
Where do you see "intel AL440 LX" ? Is this on the pcb of the mobo or on a chip somewhere? If it is actually on the pcb, it could be an intel board. If it is, you will not have any BIOS or jumper control of speed.

If you're not sure, keep poking around.. Look in the bios. If it is an LX chipset, odds are it will only be geared to run at 66FSB, but you never know. I managed to get an old Dell with an LX chipset to overclock to 83FSB, using CPUFSB.. Check our AOA files section for the sw... good luck.
Old 19th October, 2002, 02:32 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

A board that old is probably ONLY going to use jumpers. (I'd assume)

We have one at work that I've been wanting to tinker with REALLY bad, but have held back cuz it's our ONLY one.

Though I did add some memory to it and now it runs soooo much smoother.

While I was in there I notice that the board had jumper setting for verious FSB's and a couple of tables on the board to tell me what the jumpers did.

Take a good look at the board, maybe you have one of these tables on yours too?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 19th October, 2002, 02:39 AM
Member/Contributer

i found the jumper set and done the memory thingy..

now im stuck,

i know where B25 is but its a little metal thingy on the processor, and i cant get to it cos i cant get thie cartridge out .

after putting a small piece of tape across the meatl bit the bus will run at 100mhz

then i gotta go back to maintenance menu.

any ieas on how to get this beefy cartridge out? i dont wanna break nothing and theres nothing to grip to just pull it
Old 19th October, 2002, 05:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

ok~ theres 2 clips on each side~ release those and PULL straight UP
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah