AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th November, 2002, 03:29 AM

My BSOD is bluer than your BSOD...not!

Ok, I've had it! I'm trying to get to the bottom of this! I'm working on my main rig and I'm trying to squeeze the last litle bit out of it and in doing so I've entered the land of BSOD. So I'm studying the codes and trying to figure out what they are telling me. I've made some progress already in installing XP PRO from Home and getting a "Unmountable Boot Volume" code and actually getting around that. So with a modicum of success under my belt and the information below in my sig as a guide...my latest BSOD code is when I raise the FSB up to 181. I have memory at Turbo timings. (drum rollllllll) It is: "Machine Check Exception"
Any ideas? Very little info found so far and any help is appreciated. Me and my lust for MHz thank you!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th November, 2002, 04:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

might be your hardddrive limitin out.......
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th December, 2002, 07:51 AM

According to Microsoft, Bug Check 0x9C (MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION) "indicates that a fatal machine check exception has occurred". I guess that's not of much help, but the further info seems to point to it being related to the processor. The debugger help says that the parameters of the STOP have different meanings depending on the type of processor, but I don't know what any of the stuff they talk about in there means. I would say that your problem is that the processor is either not able to handle the FSB, or the RAM can't handle it and the processor is then reading corrupted data from the RAM that is causing it to fault out.

It's definitely worth installing the debugger, which you can download from:

http://www.microsoft.com/ddk/debugging/default.asp

Even if you never actually use the debugger itself, the help file with its section on blue screens is very useful. It lists the explantions for all 200+ of them, as well as possible troubleshooting steps.

The most important info to record from the blue screen is the technical info, it will look something like this:

*** STOP 0x000000EB (0x00000032, 0x00002345, 0xABCDEF00, 0x00000000)

The first number after the STOP is the bug check code. In this case it translates to DIRTY_MAPPED_PAGES_CONGESTION. (I just picked that one at random, I've never actually seen that on a live system). The 4 numbers after that are the bug check parameters, which are explained in the debugger help file. For example, in this case the first number would mean the total number of dirty pages.

I've posted a pretty detailed guide to BSOD troubleshooting in this thread:

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showt...threadid=11632

That should give anyone a pretty good start on troubleshooting BSODs on NT/2K/XP.
Old 4th December, 2002, 08:39 AM

Thanks, drice. I'll download that ASAP! If nothing else, like you say, the help file is fantastic.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 8th January, 2003, 10:48 AM

Location: There's a hole in the sky that we all want to fall through...

Unhappy

I couldn't find the BSoD help file. Has the thread been moved / deleted? Can you re-post it, please... pretty please? Ooooh, go on!

Old 8th January, 2003, 11:46 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: My BSOD is bluer than your BSOD...not!

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob
It is: "Machine Check Exception"
I believe that a machine check exception occurs when a data transfer goes horribly wrong. Horribly wrong may well mean the CPU expected data from a device (say memory), and the device never came ready and provided the data.

This may mean that you're bumping up against the limits of something hardware. Or, it may mean that memory is being trashed because it's just beyond it's limit.

Who knows? The difficulty with debugging machine checks is that it's often indeterminate. That is, the bit of code that stumbled on the problem may have been executed some time ago, and the hardware has only just raised the issue.

Good luck!

Áedán