AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th November, 2002, 06:54 AM

Msi K7d Master Dual Amd Vdimm Mod

WARNING....TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK.  DOING THIS MOD VOIDS ALL WARRANTIES!]

Ok guys, I found how to increase Vdimm beyond 2.5V.  Finally got the courage to explore this system owned and operated by "She who must be obeyed"!  hehehehe

I think everyone knows the 'how to' for the Vcore, which quite honestly will take care of most people's needs.  But if you think things aren't stable enough, then this mod will make this duallie m/b work flawlessly.  Of course, it doesn't hurt to have very good memory.  I am now using a single 512 mb stick of TwinMos Non-ECC, unbuffered.

PARTS NEEDED
http://home.nc.rr.com/boeing/k7d/PARTS%20NEEDED.jpg

VDIMM MOD
I used a 47K Radio Shack pot with a SMD grabber.  I attached the grabber to the 2nd leg on the same side that the AGP slot is on.  The picture (below) shows the proximity of the regulator to the DIMM slots and 2 small Mosfets, and the 12V Intel plug.  Then just south of the 12V plug is the AGP card.  Yup, the VC card is only 32mb so it is not a monster card.

You will solder your 22 or 24 gauge multi-strand wire to the SMD grabber. The other end of this wire will be soldered to the middle lug of the 47K pot. Depending on what direction you want to turn the pot to decrease resistance (this will increase Vdimm) will determine which outer lug you will use to solder the ground wire. It is best to check the resistance first and then set it to the maximum resistance. WARNING, REMEMBER WHICH DIRECTION INCREASES RESISTANCE (reduces voltage), IN FACT, DIAGRAM IT ON PAPER SO YOU DON'T FORGET!

After soldering your ground wire to either outer lug, it will determine which way you set the resistance to maximum.  On the other end of the ground wire, attach an electrical grommet that allows you to insert a fastener to ground to the case or motherboard.

To attach the SMD grabber to the 2nd leg/pin, you will push on the SMD plunger head to extend two very tiny claw type copper feet. You just extend it enough to slide the two claw feet around leg/pin 2 and then release the SMD plunger head slowly so it can grasp on to the leg/pin. The approach to the pin should be around 45 degree angle. Coming straight down or straight in horizontally will make it harder to grasp.

http://home.nc.rr.com/boeing/k7d/k7d_Regulator.jpg

MEASURING VDIMM
You can do this from the bios but I found the accuracy of the reading in doubt so I went to the 2nd Mosfet (pic below) and measured the leg closest to the green capacitor.  My reading showed the bios reading low by as much as minus .08V.  But, you have to be careful here not to slip with the probe and short out the regulator.  Most times when that happens it is for a split second; you just lose the video.  One thing you could do to avoid shorting out the Mosfet is to use a single wire attached to a SMD grabber.  Attach the grabber to that Mosfet leg and then use electrical tape or cap the end of the wire when not setting/measuring the voltage.

http://home.nc.rr.com/boeing/k7d/k7d_mosfet.jpg

EDIT:  When you are ready to lower the resistance of the pot, turn it very, very slowly.  If you turn it to fast, you could lose the video momentarily.  Usually a reset or power off/on will correct it. 

MY OTHER VMODS
IWILL P4R533-N VCORE & VRIMM MODs

ASUS P4T533 VRIMM MOD

Last edited by Ace-a-rue; 19th November, 2002 at 06:57 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th November, 2002, 03:24 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Thanks!

How the hell you know I wanted to know this before i did?

Couldnt post the Vcore mod too could you?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th November, 2002, 04:57 PM

Always been intuitive about that kind of stuff!

I do not have any pictures of the location but I can tell you where it is located (name of the regulator) and what leg/pin to use.

The regulator name that is on the IC chip is HIP 6301 (this IC is way larger than the Vdimm).  It is located just North of CPU #2.  The leg you use is No.7.  To find that leg you look for a small dimple/recessed area on the head of the IC, it will be situated to the side that has pin/leg 1.  On that dimple side you count down to the 7th leg (there are 10 legs on each side).  Attach the SMD grabber to that leg.

You use a 47K pot for that too.  You do the setup the same way I describe above for the Vdimm.

Good luck!
Old 19th November, 2002, 06:21 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Thx!

Im not sure if you are aware, but currently we are attempting to set up a FAQ database for AOA. Would you consider doing a couple of write ups on Vmods?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."

Last edited by Random Nonsense; 19th November, 2002 at 06:24 PM.
Old 19th November, 2002, 06:37 PM

What format are you looking for?  Like the one I have above or something different?
Old 19th November, 2002, 08:26 PM

Info Here

ask any questions you need answers to Im not sure about format etc. But im sure someone knows!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 19th November, 2002, 08:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Many thanks Ace-a-rue for the excellent presentation! I've taken the liberty of copying this thread to our AOA FAQ Topic.":O}

I'll also move this to our Hardware Hacking topic...Sorry":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 1st January, 2003, 06:55 AM

Happy New Year to Daniel and all......

Last edited by Ace-a-rue; 1st January, 2003 at 07:01 AM.
Old 2nd January, 2003, 11:41 AM

ta very much ace-a-rue!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 2nd January, 2003, 02:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

how does this help when the K7D master is capped at 150mhz?

And how come your board is green when mine is red?
Old 2nd January, 2003, 04:54 PM

Spode, I cant run aggressive timings at 133 let alone 150, so volts will help!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED