AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st November, 2001, 12:32 AM
eobard

2 things

1) Pinky, you mouse you! You beat me to the first thread in this category!

2) Here's a little tale of hardware hacking. I, after much deliberation, attempted a hardware hack on my A7V-E motherboard. I was going to solder a wire with a resistor on it onto the volt regulator chip to get over1.85v. Just as I was about to attempt to solder the wire on I noticed that the iron had a big drop of solder just waiting to drop off the tip. I decided to shake it off the iron so I slowly moved the iron away from the board. As I moved it, in a controlled and steady fashion, the solder decided to break the laws of physics and leap from the iron onto the motherboard. It splashed up under the voltage regulator chip, shorting out all of the pins. Eventually I managed to remove the solder. I had two choices: 1) I could unsolder all of the pins on one side and then tilt up the chip and scrape away the solder or 2) I could flood the chip in solder, getting a huge blob of solder in under the pins and then, while it's all together in one big heated, liquid lump, suck it out with a desoldering bulb. I went with the second option. A 5 minute volt mod took me about 6 hours but I managed to avoid having to buy a new board. In the end I succedded with the volt mod. Now all I need is a stable 5v line so I can use the volt mod.

I'm putting this out for anyone who gets caught in a similar situation so they know what to do to fix the problem. I hope you never need it.
Old 21st November, 2001, 05:03 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

Sounds as good as when I was trying to move a wire a little as the solder hardened.. Not know ing my own strength, I managed to pull about ΒΌ" of the circuit trace off. I had to track that trace all the way across the board to find a solder spot.

I was working on a mod to increase the display area of a mac color classic to 640x480 (was 512x384) I actually managed to do it. It was a simple matter of changing the sense lines to the logicboard to tell it that it was a 14" VGA and not a 10". I also had to up the voltage for the horizontal sync to 67v (from 60)
Old 21st November, 2001, 05:28 AM
eobard

Ahh ripping up traces! A overclocking rite of passage. Done that one several times myself, toying around with older machines in the past.
Old 21st November, 2001, 10:24 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Ranks right alongside popping crystals and snapping the sides off PLCC carriers for classic overclocking accidents (Guilty of both. Poor Amiga)

Quote:
1) I could unsolder all of the pins on one side and then tilt up the chip and scrape away the solder or 2) I could flood the chip in solder, getting a huge blob of solder in under the pins and then, while it's all together in one big heated, liquid lump, suck it out with a desoldering bulb.
or 3) make sure you've invested in a solder sucker. If this isn't dextrous enough, it's range and manoeuvrability is easily extended with some cheap teflon tubing