AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st November, 2001, 10:59 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Ballistic 486 anyone?

Hey guys! im gonna be hopefully modding my old 486 mobo to put an 18 or 20mhz crystal in it! mwuhahaha i will soon own the fastest 486 in the world! fear it!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st November, 2001, 02:07 PM
eobard

Re: Ballistic 486 anyone?

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
Hey guys! im gonna be hopefully modding my old 486 mobo to put an 18 or 20mhz crystal in it! mwuhahaha i will soon own the fastest 486 in the world! fear it!
You're going to have to try harder than that, I once overclocked an XT to 18mhz.
Old 21st November, 2001, 03:45 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

remember its on a 14mhz crystal at the mo, thats 100mhz for the chip! i dont know the FSB off hand and cant be bothered to calculate! so 18 or 20 mhz crystal is a big OC

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st November, 2001, 03:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I wonder how fast an 8086 would be if built on a .13 micron process . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 21st November, 2001, 04:57 PM
eobard

Quote:
remember its on a 14mhz crystal at the mo, thats 100mhz for the chip! i dont know the FSB off hand and cant be bothered to calculate! so 18 or 20 mhz crystal is a big OC
I'm lost here, we still talking about your 486 or my old XT? I've got an 80mhz and a 97.7mhz crystal if you want. Got some slower ones too, 20-30mhz range. I've got bothe the four pin and two pin kinds. The 80 and 97.7 are four pin.
Old 21st November, 2001, 05:36 PM

the 486 has a 14mhz crystal, the clock generator multiplies this up to get FSB etc...

8086 on dot 13??? could you even SEE the chip? LOL!

how much u want for a 20 mhz crystal?

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 21st November, 2001, 06:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
8086 on dot 13??? could you even SEE the chip? LOL!
Good question, I should find the transistor count and run the numbers . . . It would be very very small for sure . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 21st November, 2001, 10:16 PM
eobard

1) Shipping fees. You must be able to find something closer yes? What do you need, four pin or two?

2) 29,000 transistors.
Old 21st November, 2001, 11:04 PM

2 pin i think! i need to get a good soldering iron 1st, and also check the CPU and mobo still work! probably check that out as soon as i get my hands on an AT PSU

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED