AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 22nd November, 2001, 02:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

except for the fact that that board doesn't have an agp port that I saw...I was thinking the same thing though...
Old 22nd November, 2001, 04:04 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

Attached Thumbnails
Computer inside an nes....-img5.jpg  
Old 22nd November, 2001, 04:08 AM
Member/Contributer

The hard drive is in this picture to show you that it will in fact fit in the unused space. I just haven't gotten those pegs out of the way yet. Sorry if it is taking forever for this page to load.

That's a 25.38 gig IBM travelstar.

I am, by the way, just building this for fun. When I am done, I am taking all these parts back out, and sending the shell, so you can see where I made my mistakes, and correct them in your hack.
Attached Thumbnails
Computer inside an nes....-img6.jpg  

Last edited by Azriel; 22nd November, 2001 at 04:11 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd November, 2001, 04:39 AM
Member/Contributer

The onboard AGP is really good. (For onboard) It's quake-able, anyway. Tyan makes the Tomcat i810ef which supports up to 1GHz PIII, and has all the ports. It probably won't be able to operate on 90 watts, though. It uses the same video, and has two dimms, and two PCI. I have one actually. I just though simple was better.

A high end card would be too much heat for it anyway.

If I am stepping on your toes here, let me know, and I will send the shell to you as it is. Mounting the mobo is the hard part anyway. It will fit, but you will have to cut chunks of plasic, tap threads into them, and superglue them to the inside of the casing so you will have something to screw the board to.

That expansion port knock-out on the bottom would be a good place to put a centronics-50, so you could modify an external SCSI case to connect an IDE drive, and use standard connectors and cable. If I were you, I'd connect the secondary IDE to it. then you sould daisy chain to a second enclosure.

You might also want to flip my design upside down, and put the mobo in the bottom, and the other stuff in the top. I did it this way, because I couldn't figure out anywhere else to put the fan.

Taking a Q3 break...

Last edited by Azriel; 22nd November, 2001 at 05:57 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd November, 2001, 07:13 AM
Banned

I think I have seen it all... this alone make this new topic worth it!!! What's more, it's possible to do this...

What cooling for the CPU are you going to manage? There's a Pal video card GPU cooler that should work with that P3 and is VERY short in height.
Old 22nd November, 2001, 07:44 AM

no worries, your not stepping on my feet. I actually appreciate the help. I had the same placement idea, I just figured the way I'd place the mobo I could just hack the back out where the normal nintendo power inputs and av jacks are. I've never had small enough parts though, so I ddon't know.Thanks for the help, this will proably save me money in costly mistakes.
Old 22nd November, 2001, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
I think I have seen it all... this alone make this new topic worth it!!! What's more, it's possible to do this...

What cooling for the CPU are you going to manage? There's a Pal video card GPU cooler that should work with that P3 and is VERY short in height.
thanks, but I doubt i'm the first to do it...I dunno though.
Old 22nd November, 2001, 09:22 AM
Member/Contributer

Zip ties are cool. The PSU is in there rock solid. You can see in the smaller picture there, It didn't actually "fit", But it's close enough. The fan is installed, with grilles and hole. I'm gonna have to figure a way to jack this think up in the air a little.. Thinking maybe 3/8" Rubber feet. Not too noticable. The fan is only going to be running at 5v anyway.. 12v would be to obvious. And that centronics connector Idea.... It's a must. The CD won't fit, and buying a USB external wouldn't exactly fit with the theme of this hack. Needs to go out the back, also. This thing should look like an NES, right?

I'm tired and I'm rambling..

If you look real close at the pics of this thing so far, You'll notice that I had to cut out all but two of the posts that attach the top to the bottom.. not to worry. I kept opposite corners, and I do have a way to connect the other corners. In the front, we're gonna burry a piece of sheet metal under the little black bezel that goes over the controller sockets, and in the back, we're gonna just hang that sheet metal out there. Why? IT's the back... *L* Who cares, right?

Yer probably also gonna notice that the PSU has a big ugly hole beside it for the power cord. Not to worry. I will be making a plate for that out of grey nylon. (I am a machinist)

I figured out the mobo mounting.. remember those white plastic things that never let go? Ya always had to use them with AT boards, anywhere you had a hole, but no standoff. I have a pile of them. I'll superglue them to the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Computer inside an nes....-zip-ties-rock.jpg  

Last edited by Azriel; 22nd November, 2001 at 09:38 AM.
Old 22nd November, 2001, 06:15 PM

Alright. I haven't actually looked to see if this is feasible, but what if you hacked down an old mettle backing from a case with the mounting holes and mounted it in the case? you see what I'm saying?
Old 22nd November, 2001, 06:26 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

Very cool post mrpcman!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Old 22nd November, 2001, 07:10 PM

Thanks Betty! I just hope it all works. Okay, I'm off to a family thanksgiving get-to-gether....
Old 22nd November, 2001, 07:12 PM
Member/Contributer

You mean to plug the gaping hole by the PSU? Sounds good. For the I/O area, the board comes with an insert, so it would work as a filler pannel.
Old 22nd November, 2001, 07:14 PM
Member/Contributer

What fan to use.. Hmmmm...

How about this one? $12 from bestbyte. It's not even as tall as the DIMM.

Attached Images

Old 22nd November, 2001, 07:48 PM

nice. Is that good enough for a celeron at 533? since it's a 600 I could probably undervolt it a bit as well..
Old 22nd November, 2001, 09:14 PM
Member/Contributer

It's approved by intel for 1GHz.
(The heatsink)

I found a work-arround for the CD. If we mount the CD drive all the way at the top, above the inverted Motherboard, everything will clear, and the CD will be able to line up perfectly with the "door". I'm going to install the CD in the lid, and post a pic so you can get a better Idea of whay I'm saying.

By the way, I know I mentioned the slot loard laptop CD, but it was too wide for the orrigional design, and too thick for this one. The CD I am using in the pics is a slim CD for an HP vectra. Requires a wierd adapter. I may go with The Black thinkpad CD, because it uses a standard laptop HDD pinout. ( The Vectra CD's adapter require's annother cm of headroom.

A larger HSF will fit, it you are heat-paranoid The CPU is opposite the 80mm fan. Plenty of clearance.

Pics in about 30 min. (CD mounted)

Last edited by Azriel; 22nd November, 2001 at 09:17 PM.
Old 22nd November, 2001, 10:49 PM
Member/Contributer

I tried that idea. Not gonna happen. I need to leave ΒΌ" in the top for the PSU. The drive, and the board are 1.35" safely mounted. and ther's only about 1.2" of space there with the PSU. The board is cocked up a little in the pics, because I haven't made the I/O area, and the VGA port has nowhere to go. It's looking like this thing would need a USB CD, Or some kinda wierd external IDE hack.
Attached Thumbnails
Computer inside an nes....-not-a-chance.jpg  
Old 22nd November, 2001, 10:51 PM
Member/Contributer

The power supply is opposite the PCI slot. Leavine us just enough room to get a 1U riser in there (ribbon cable style only.)
Old 22nd November, 2001, 11:21 PM
Member/Contributer

I put the halves back to gether to give you a better idea of how much space we really have here. Wanted to show off the underside again too. (And the ugly hole by the PSU of course.)
Old 22nd November, 2001, 11:22 PM
Member/Contributer

Attached Thumbnails
Computer inside an nes....-assembled-without-mob-or-hdd.jpg  
Old 23rd November, 2001, 01:26 AM

well, i figure once I get an os on that, I can slap it together and then just install stuff via the network. So for clearance, the psu plug can't go out the back next to all the io ports? What I lack is good machining skills.