AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd November, 2001, 06:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Improving PC's speaker's bass response!

I've got a tip for some of you guys if your suffering some bass response issues with your PC speakers. One of my machines wasn't quite up to snuff in that department, so this is what I did. I located the capacitor immediately downwind of the amplifiers bridge rectifier. This is the filtering capacitor naturally. But this also gives extra power the the amplifier circuitry when the transformer is insufficient, such as situations like high volume bass response. If your amplifiers power LED dies down when the subwoofer thumps, this is what I'm talking about. Anyway I located my amplifiers filtering capacitor. It was a 16V 2200uf capacitor, not hardly big enough IMHO. What I did was unsolder and remove the filtering capacitor. Then I replaced it with a much manlier 25V 4700uf capacitor. This gives me much better bass response!

Some quality amplifiers may also have a voltage regulator, in which case you want to put a larger capacitor just down wind of that also. But in todays cut throat "he who gets his product to market fastest and cheapes wins" industry, don't count on that voltage regulation and extra capacitor being there for PC speaker amplifiers.

But be extra super careful to get the capacitors polls right. Get 'em wrong and POP, capacitor go bye bye!

In the event that this "hack" doesn't work, you could also install a larger transformer, and if necessary a bridge rectifier good for more wattage. But be cautious in this department, the circuitry in the amplifier isn't designed for the increased current, so exercise a bit of restraint when selecting a larger transformer.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 23rd November, 2001 at 06:30 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd November, 2001, 10:36 AM
AOA Staff

you forgot the "ham fisted trolls " at your own risk disclaimer :P
Old 23rd November, 2001, 12:05 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

You know, I've never come across a power amp with voltage regulator on it. Generally the current sources in the amp deal with handling any change in voltage. That goes for all the amps I've ever dealt with, regardless of the quality level.

As far as a 25V 4700uF capacitor, if you're after serious bass, then it's a bit on the small side. On the other hand, if you were after serious bass, you wouldn't be running a PC rig. (;

Alternatively, go down to your local car audio place and buy a 1F (Not a typo, that's 1,000,000uF) capacitor. Then you'll definately need a new PSU... On a car you have to use a special procedure for charging the capacitor.

Think anyone might be interested in a DIY 6channel amp and speaker article?

AidanII
Old 23rd November, 2001, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII
Think anyone might be interested in a DIY 6channel amp and speaker article?
I would . . . .

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd November, 2001, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII
You know, I've never come across a power amp with voltage regulator on it.
I had a 500W per channel stereo public address amplifier I bought at the pawn shop, it had a switching supply built in to it. That's the only one I've ever seen . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd November, 2001, 01:39 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
I had a 500W per channel stereo public address amplifier I bought at the pawn shop, it had a switching supply built in to it. That's the only one I've ever seen . . . .
Oh, I've got an amp with a switching supply into it, but it's not regulated! One of these days I want to make a few modifications to the switcher to bring it's output up, but I know that's going to require winding a transformer. Either that or see if I can adjust the frequency to a more optimal level.

AidanII
Old 24th November, 2001, 03:28 AM

Jeff... Good idea with beefing up the filter cap for added bass response.., really a fairly safe proceedure too...

BTW, I have 4 channel+Sub on the PC... should I need a little "added" bass (or volume for that matter) I have a Marshall 100W Mark III (about 1.5 feet from my main PC) connected to a pair of 12" professional EVs... I believe I could give even the sturdiest pair of ears permenant hearing damage in less than 5 minutes...

Oh.. my point, yes... my point is that the Marshall is a bridged pair of 50W tube amps... and when I give it a "tune-up" one of the tasks I perform is "balancing" the voltage regulator output...

Notice to signature reader: The entire physical universe, including
this signature, may one day collapse back into an infinitesimally
small space. Should another universe subsequently re-emerge,
the existence of this signature in that universe cannot be guaranteed.

Old 24th November, 2001, 05:49 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

I guess I am just lazy... I have my PC's all daisy chained into my 200w stereo.

PIII's line-out to Duron's line-in,
Duron's line-out to T-birds line-in,
T-bird's line-out to Sony LBT-G5500

I do also have a 7 speaker surround setup for the PC, but I only use it when I want to keep the noise level down. The Stereo has too much bass for late night quaking. On the mac half of the 2in1 box, I use a speaker inside the box.

I like the mod, though. Really good Idea. I might have to try it.