AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th February, 2003, 05:06 AM

Disabling Multiplier lock on Celeron 400

Yeah, it's old. But I can't stand to have it sit there running at it's intended 400 MHZ. I have a 440LX chipset Soyo Mobo (go ahead, get sick, then continue reading). I remember reading a long time ago about a way to disable the multiplier lock, but can't find the info any more, anyone have any information at all?

Thanks
Old 13th February, 2003, 06:20 PM
AOA Staff

as far as I remember the cellys were FSB clockable only
Old 14th February, 2003, 01:31 AM

My Soyo Mobo has settings in the BIOS to adjust the FSB (50, 60, 66, 68, 75 and 83) but they do nothing... proc runs at 66 mhz FSB regardless. any ideas?

Dol

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th February, 2003, 02:55 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

yep.. do what i did with my AL440LX

buy a slocket!

i have a celeron 700 (runs at 840mhz) but!

i had to go out and buy a pci graphics card, or use the 4mb S3virge card that came with it, as it didnt like anything in the agp port... ;(

o.. and leave my ebay sale alone
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th February, 2003, 06:48 AM

haven't had any trouble with the AGP slot... now running a TNT2 Ultra, had a GeForce 2 in there before. The only problem with using the slocket is then i have to get another chip, and I could prolly come up with a BX board used for less. Was hoping I could run some jumper lines or somethiing to hop up the FSB.

Dol

AOA Team fah
Old 8th March, 2003, 12:43 PM

Thought I would post here, rather than start a new thread....

I have a celeron 466, locked to 7X multiplier... I am looking to overclock... BUT, my motherboard auto detects voltage... I bought a socket adapter (Its a Slot 1 mobo, socket 370chip) But don't know what the jumpers and switches on the card do.. Its an EPOX EP-S1C but searching for this has turned up NOTHING!!! I able to water cool no probs (Another learning experience) but as this computer is getting on, and cost me next to nothing to put together I am prepared to PUSH IT TO ITS LIMITS!!!! How fast will it go?? Thanx for the help, I am a newbee to this forum, but no to computers/electronics...
Old 8th March, 2003, 09:34 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Ever since the PII 300 or 350(?), Intel's processors are Multiplier locked. I've never heard that anyone defeated this Multiplier lock, ever.

It's posible that a jumper on the Soyo mainboard must be changed to make changing the FSB possible. If so, the 83 Mhz FSB is highly problematic because the PCI bus will be running much faster than spec. If there are high quality PCI cards, 83 Mhz may work. As the HDD is addressed at the PCI frequency, just any old hard drive won't handle the speed, either. NIC's, IDE and especially SCSI Controller cards are allergic to a sped up PCI bus, too, AFAIK.

To be painfully honest, the i440LX mainboard needs to be in a retirement home, hopefully in Florida. I've only bought one item via eBay and this worked out well. There's no ironclad guarantee that you'll get what you want in perfect working order. All the same, if the seller's reputation is excellent, with 5 bad reports, 9 neutral and 1986 happy customer's, it's hard to go wrong. Just make sure you read everything before plunking down your money.
Old 8th March, 2003, 09:48 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA's Forums, SkinnyBoy!

If the Core Voltage can be changed by manipulating
jumpers on the Slocket, you're in luck. Hopefully someone who has this Slocket will lend their advise. If not, you can change the Core Voltage by insulating three pins on the bottom edge of the Slocket, where it slips into the Slot 1 "trench."

Without soldering jumpers(you need to be an ace at micro-soldering to do this) between some of the VID pins, you have a limited choice of Vcc. 2.2v and 2.4v are two of them. There's a third value, but I can't remember it, sorry.

If the insulation on one of the VID pins fails, your Celeron is toast. Because of this danger, I permanently severed the processor's connection to the three VID pins. It'll run at 2.2v forever--but it won't be gone in a flash. I did this to a Celly 300A, perhaps it's easier to accomplish on a Slocket.
Old 10th March, 2003, 11:20 AM

Hmm, okay, thanx for the help.... atm, the cpu is running at 2.0volts, I can get it to run stable at 525Mhz but when I increase it to 583Mhz it will start up, but then crash as it enters windows.. is this likely to be the higher frequency that causes somethign else to malfunction, or the lower CPU voltage?? thanx again.. also, if the socket adapter has dip switches and jumpers, what else would they do except change the voltage? I had the option to buy a coppermine adapter, but what told the one I bought was teh one I needed.. hmm.. anyway, thanx again..
Old 10th March, 2003, 11:38 AM

Sorry, I forgot to ask, what pin do I cut/insulate.... I may be able to trace the PCB track to one of the jumpers on the adapter... Thanx.. A link would be best.. I have searched... but...
Old 11th March, 2003, 02:44 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Hoo boy, it's been a long time since I modded that Celly 300A. Worse, it's in a friend's machine. This friend is scarily cranky, I really don't want to ask her if I can pop the cover from her PC, pull out the Celly and find the holes that I made with a jeweler's hand drill. And I gave her the Celly 300A/@450 Mhz, fer cryin' out loud.

I wrote down the three VID pins that must be insulated or cut for 2.2v Core Voltage... somewhere. Let me look for the info. In the mean time, Tom's Hardware had the best guide about changing C300A's(and the rest of the Slot 1 Celeron's) Vcc on the Web. Hand's down.

With luck and patience you may be able to find it.
Old 11th March, 2003, 01:24 PM

Thats okay, thanx for the help anyway.... I wonder what all the switches and jumpers do.... lol
Old 11th March, 2003, 01:42 PM

FOUND IT!!!
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/19981215/sl2w8-06.html
lol.. 2.2 volts should see me stable at 583Mhz... the next speed up is 700Mhz... is this too high for a water cooled Celeron 466?? Thanx again..

The slot 1 adapter has 6 switches on it... currently 2 are in the on position... I assume one being on overrides the motherboard voltage selection, and the other selects 2volts?? possible?? I gotta go have a good, LONG look at the adapter now... SEEYA!!!

Last edited by SkinnyBoy; 11th March, 2003 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11th March, 2003, 11:47 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyBoy
FOUND IT!!!
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/19981215/sl2w8-06.html
lol.. 2.2 volts should see me stable at 583Mhz... the next speed up is 700Mhz... is this too high for a water cooled Celeron 466?? Thanx again..

The slot 1 adapter has 6 switches on it... currently 2 are in the on position... I assume one being on overrides the motherboard voltage selection, and the other selects 2volts?? possible?? I gotta go have a good, LONG look at the adapter now... SEEYA!!!
Glad that you found that chart at Tom's! 583 Mhz means an 83 Mhz FSB. This is a troublesome FSB frequency. You're more likely to have less problems at 100 Mhz FSB. 700 Mhz Clock Speed is 50% faster than the 466 Mhz that Intel wanted for this CPU. Many C300A's and C366's handled a 50% overclock. We don't know if your's will. I think it's safe to go for 700 Mhz Clock Speed @100 Mhz FSB with water cooling. A 10% bump up in Core Voltage(in this case 2.2v) was considered the maximum permitted for a prudent and cautious citizen in the days of the first Celerons.
Old 12th March, 2003, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters

Glad that you found that chart at Tom's! 583 Mhz means an 83 Mhz FSB. This is a troublesome FSB frequency. You're more likely to have less problems at 100 Mhz FSB. 700 Mhz Clock Speed is 50% faster than the 466 Mhz that Intel wanted for this CPU. Many C300A's and C366's handled a 50% overclock. We don't know if your's will. I think it's safe to go for 700 Mhz Clock Speed @100 Mhz FSB with water cooling. A 10% bump up in Core Voltage(in this case 2.2v) was considered the maximum permitted for a prudent and cautious citizen in the days of the first Celerons.
I worked out what the switches on the adapter do.. lol

Okay, thanx for that info.... BUT!!! I tried 583Mhz with the original heatsink/fan (the motherboard isn't in a case, so it has better cooling, and I was able to check the CPU temp with my hand...) well... at 2.1volts, still couldn't get 583Mhz the actual voltage according to my software was only 2.08 MAX (it dropped a little) I selected 2.2 volts, and it ran at 583 now, stable... But, the 2.2 volts is only reported to be 2.18 I tried getting it to atleast post at 700Mhz with the graphics card frequency set to 2/3s but it was a no go... I even tried increasing the spu voltage to 2.3 but.. NOTHING!!! anyway, its back to 2.2 (2.18) volts for now...

Is 2.4volts too high for a Water cooled Celeron 466?? I have bet money on what speed I can push this chip too.. lol stable..

THANX AGAIN!!
Old 12th March, 2003, 01:11 AM

Here is the chart of switch positions VS voltage.... what is the configuration of the switches for 2.4volts??
Attached Thumbnails
Disabling Multiplier lock on Celeron 400-voltage.gif  
Old 12th March, 2003, 10:05 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Weyell... 2.4v is 20% more Core Voltage than the stock 2.0v. People nowadays overvolt the crap out of CPU's, this simply wasn't kosher back in the days of processors with 25 nanometer die size. It's your CPU. If it's expendable...

I'd make sure that water cooling is in place and working properly before throwing gasoline on this CPU.

I don't remember that the C466's were eager OCer's, but I can't say this for certain. Maybe C466's are still in the CPU Database at overclockers dot com.

If you can't simply throw this processor away with a smile, it might be better to stay with 583 Mhz Clock Speed. As the 83 Mhz FSB is causing you no grief, and the machine is stable at the then- recommended maximum of 2.2 Vcc, what's not to like?

The info at Tomshardware about changing the Core Voltage of the first series of Celerons used to be plush and detailed. Seems that the method to bump the Vcc to 2.4 isn't there. Can't expect a site to keep everything for ~4 year old CPU's. Sorry, I don't have the 2.4v info, either.

With H2O at work, you'll probably be able to get the right combination of jumpers on the Slocket for 2.4 volts.
Old 13th March, 2003, 12:09 PM

Okay, kewl, thanx.... I'll see what happens in the next few weeks.. Is this lower CPU voltage than selected normal? I think it might be the PowerSupply... 2.18 is a fair bit less than 2.2 lol Thanx again..
Old 13th March, 2003, 04:41 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It's not unusual to get a different Vcc value than the one you "dial-in," or "jumper in."
2.18v is only 2 one hundredths of a jolt less than 2.2v. The CPU Database at OCer's.com reveals that no one listed made a C466 run at 700 Mhz Clock Speed. Some folks got their C466 to run faster than 700 Mhz, many of them with the aid of better than air cooling. But even the person with a Vapochill rig didn't achieve an even 700 Mhz.

583 Mhz is the speed that most people got. Try water cooling, but 2.4v is far out of the "accepted practices manual" for the C466. Personally, 2.3v is the absolute maximum that I'd try. To be honest, I never went over 2.2v.
Old 14th March, 2003, 07:30 AM

Hmm, okay, thanx.. that'd be right...... I had a celeron 400 which would do 500Mhz at 2volts... but the C466 won't do 583 at 2.1 volts.. hmm.. ohh wel.. lol