AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th March, 2003, 07:48 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Oops, I broke another PSU...

Yeah, yeah. I'm sure you've all heard it before. Chalk up another dead PSU. Once again, the manufacturers ratings turned out to be rather optimistic for the parts they'd used in the PSU. Scratch two more schottky diodes. Both regulate the 5V line.

My guess is that one of them failed open circuit, shunting the whole load into the second. The second didn't really like the idea of that and rapidly turned itself into a bit of wire. Down went the PSU.

Now, I'm going to have to order another pair. Fortunately, a higher spec pair will only set me back around $3. Hence, I'm going to uprate two sets of parts. Replacing the original pair of diodes on the 5V line, and replacing the other pair of diodes on the 12V line. I may also purchase a couple of spares to fix that other PSU that's still dead.

Áedán
Old 15th March, 2003, 07:50 PM

In the meantime, I'm back up and running on a "spare" pair of schottky diodes that are *just* about up to spec.

I think the manufacturer was probably about 25W too optimistic on the PSU. However, once the work has been completed, I should be good up to and beyond the PSU's spec.

Might have to replace the high side switches at some point though.

Áedán
Old 15th March, 2003, 08:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

"The daring and the despair of the explorer"! Glad you were able to take repairs in hand! Forge onward! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th March, 2003, 12:13 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Why not write a how to on upgrading a PSU?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th March, 2003, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
Cuz I'm worried that someone might screw up and connect themselves to the mains. I don't wish to be responsible for such things! Having seen what some people can do with parts I'd consider "safe", I hate to think what they'd do with parts I'd consider "hazardous".

Áedán
Old 17th March, 2003, 12:32 PM

yeah.... someone stuck a drill up their nose (it was itchy) and ripped half their nose and part of their face off...
Old 17th March, 2003, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
The other difficulty is... I have four PSUs here, and they all do things slightly differently. Unless you know what sort of specs you need to be looking for, it can be difficult to obtain the right parts. There's some significant differences between the various rectifiers used, so it's not a one size fits all scenario.

For example, the 12V rectifiers might see 100V reverse voltage appear across them when it's not their turn to conduct. The 5V rectifiers will see much less! This is despite the fact that the 5V rectifiers can handle a much higher current. (15A vs 8A each) If you put a rectifier suitable for 5V in place of the 12V one, your PSU would probably operate for a while, until the reverse voltage punched a hole through the rectifier.

Áedán
Old 17th March, 2003, 05:37 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Áedán

Cuz I'm worried that someone might screw up and connect themselves to the mains. I don't wish to be responsible for such things! Having seen what some people can do with parts I'd consider "safe", I hate to think what they'd do with parts I'd consider "hazardous".

Áedán
So true!
Old 17th March, 2003, 05:41 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Áedán

The other difficulty is... I have four PSUs here, and they all do things slightly differently. Unless you know what sort of specs you need to be looking for, it can be difficult to obtain the right parts. There's some significant differences between the various rectifiers used, so it's not a one size fits all scenario.

For example, the 12V rectifiers might see 100V reverse voltage appear across them when it's not their turn to conduct. The 5V rectifiers will see much less! This is despite the fact that the 5V rectifiers can handle a much higher current. (15A vs 8A each) If you put a rectifier suitable for 5V in place of the 12V one, your PSU would probably operate for a while, until the reverse voltage punched a hole through the rectifier.

Áedán
"For example, the 12V rectifiers might see 100V reverse voltage appear across them when it's not their turn to conduct."

WTF, over? Is this normally seen in rectifiers?